User Tag List

Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Independent Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: If xs os

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Is this built yet? It's delicious, I wanna see it built...
    It is built and has been ridden quite a bit for a couple of months..... it resides in DC and i am currently in Sheffield, England at the mo... i will take some pics when i return....

Ps it fekkin rocks ridewise
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independent Fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I would wager you could lose another 5mm-10mm of spacers by tilting those bars back a few degrees to bring the hoods up (which would carry the added visual benefit of aligning the angle of the drops with the angle of the stem, but that's just me being a pedant). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you need to, or should - just that you could.
    I hear you. Bars and shifters are set up so I can get my thumb on the shift lever while in the drops. Plus I still like the old lever position from non-aero cable routing days. I think things will drop a bit more, maybe in the spring, after I've had a while to ride it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my reborn steel Planet X. No rust, new paint, down-tube cable routing and v-brakes instead of canti's

IF - new paint 2 small.jpgIF - New Paint small.jpg

Thank you SignatureJustin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My buddy in Grand Rapids is torturing me. I had it sent there because that's where my riding buddies live and I'm going there to put it together and ride it with my beer swilling, gravel road riding friends. One of them owns a shop and he has ordered my components for me.

This is the first pic I have of the Gravel Royale from IF that I was awarded in a raffle at Independent Fabrication's Raid Rockingham ride (can't recommend that ride enough, and I certainly hope to be there in 2014 with this bike!). The folks at IF were excellent and patient through the whole process and accommodated a ton of small requests like fender mounts and a rack mount so I can actually carry something with this bike if I want. It is a custom geometry for me with a top tube longer than the head tube would suggest and a steel fork. I opted to upgrade to titanium from the standard steel for this model. I've had so many steel frames and wanted to try Ti again from a premium maker using premium tubes.

This is the first shot I've received from my friend with the shop, a quick phone pic.... Nothing more to share but I have looked at it and love the curvy chain stays and the disc-specific rear dropouts and the replaceable derailleur hanger, etc. The details look great!

I can't wait to get there on, hopefully, Sunday to build it up and get out for some riding! Action shots to follow. This is just a start and yeah, it's frustrating that I can't do anything with it for a few days!

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your buddies need a decent camera. This looks promising !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That thing is all business, I love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodness.. Ti & mounts.. you are SET.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like the graphics..... and you're going to love the ride.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    like the graphics..... and you're going to love the ride.
    Thanks! I gave them a small paint budget and this worked out really nicely. When I was there Gary showed me the production facility and the paint booth is superb. I know nothing about it, but he does of course, and sold me on getting some paint put on the final product. I have no doubt it will look better in future photographs and in person and it already looks sweet here. I'm totally excited about installing the Ergott-built wheels and the new-to-me Shimano DA 9000 group set. I'm starting my unpaved riding career on some Michelin Jet tires and may try out some tubeless (the rims are tubeless-ready) at some point. This is a new foray into something other than a pure road bike and I can't wait to explore new things with this bike. I think it will be a ton of fun to ride.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really nice. You'll need one of these:

or the digital equivalent for tracking down all the cool dirt roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, looks great, can't wait for build pics and action shots!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats. Ride it like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice sled SAAB. You'll like it I'm sure...IF makes a super product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been great to follow your thoughts and process on this. Looking forward to seeing the final bike in action.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classy bike for a classy rider. Can't wait to see the final product -- or better yet, bring it to ATW for a test ride:)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, here are a few preliminary shots. I drove about 660 miles today and we drove to the shop to start building up this bad boy. The D/A stuff is gorgeous, as we all know. The rear derailleur cable routing is bizarre, to say the least (not on the frame, but in the rear der itself, just to clarify). It exits the rear derailleur to the clamp on the derailleur at quite an angle. The coating on the cable is fraying after, literally, about 5 shifts up and down the cassette. Still, it works perfectly, for for a group that was so meticulously planned, this seems to be a bizarre detail. Otherwise the group seems nice. It is stupid light. New technology to me, a decades-long Campagnolo user.

But the highlight is not the group, it's the frame, which is beautiful! The welds are perfect and the attention to detail is superb! It went together perfectly. I've been up about 18 hours so I'm only partly coherent but here go a few shots, cell phone pics. I did ride it up and down the street in Grand Rapids for a few minutes and nothing and nobody fell off! The seat post height is still just a rough guess and the headset spacers will probably be adjusted. The zip ties are not in proper place either. This is just a start. The fine tuning remains. But it's a general idea.... I'm very excited! Hopefully a real ride tomorrow!

Wheel report to follow. They are from Ergott Wheels and appear to be perfect, which I would have expected, but other than an initial inspection, I have not looked too much. I know they'll be perfect.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PDBDM ATMO!
    [Putain de bordel de merde!]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear derailleur housing looks way short? Work ok?
    What are the zip ties for? Please don't say it is integral to the bike-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    Rear derailleur housing looks way short? Work ok?
    What are the zip ties for? Please don't say it is integral to the bike-
    That's the length it came. It works fine. I don't think that's going to be a problem. The angle at which it exits the derailleur towards the securing bolt is much more 'interesting' to me. It only comes straight out when the chain is in the largest cogs.

The zip ties are to hold the brake cable housing in place. The braze-on cable guides are of the open variety and cradle the cable housing. It is secured with zip ties as it runs along the tubes. I've seen this on mountain bikes too. The ties we had at the shop were too big for the holes. It will be solved with smaller zip ties. The placement of the current zip ties around the tubes is temporary until I can buy some smaller ones today.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an image of one of the cable guides. I believe this to be the standard method of securing cable housing on disc brake bikes. Being a cable actuated brake it probably could have used stops along the tubes, just like a regular road bike would have, but that method would preclude hydraulic discs, which will be the norm one day. For now cable brakes are where I wanted to go but one day maybe there will be road hydraulic that's more attractive than the Sram units. Road hydraulic is still experiencing growing pains. I'm not sorry I went this direction.
    La Cheeserie!