User Tag List

Page 30 of 62 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Independent Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independent Fabrication

I haven't seen one of those Tioga wheels in years. Very retro with those tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The blue one with the Cross Maxes is everything that is right about mountain biking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great collection! John Tomac would feel right at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone seen the IF article in Rouleur Magazine yet? ( Rouleur Magazine – The world's finest cycle racing reportage | Rapha Podcast: Issue 33 « Rouleur Magazine )

I think it is time for me to subscribe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, a neat glimpse into the history of the brand - tastefully leaving out some of the grittier details, but still enlightening. Great read, and beautiful writing/photography (as to be expected, it is Rouleur).
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love riding this bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    I love riding this bike.
    Do you have any seat time on the current crop of alloy or carbon cannondales? I've found them a bit barge-like (compared to my McClung at least). I'm a big fan of the lefty (I've a scalpel 29er carbon that feels like cheating); but wonder if an IF or Seven built around a lefty would be substantially different... Not trying to open a can of worms or clutter the thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Holly crap, this is Greg Lemond... jeez. I rode in the same sportive as Benard Hinault recently and he would kick his fat ass up Alp d'Huez today.

BTW always loved Lemond, just saying.
    I met him once at my LBS. got into an interesting conversation and suddenly he showed me his gunshot scar. I really didnt need to see that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by al415 View Post
    Do you have any seat time on the current crop of alloy or carbon cannondales? I've found them a bit barge-like (compared to my McClung at least). I'm a big fan of the lefty (I've a scalpel 29er carbon that feels like cheating).
    I have ridden a few of the latest carbon frames from Specialized, Niner- including the Flash carbon. I think they are nice bikes. There is something to carbon as a material- you can make a light bike that does not feel flimsy.

I used to be weight weenie and all the light bikes I put together always felts "pieced together"- whereas some of the newer carbon bikes feel like "one piece"- they are marvelous bikes and it amazes how good they are... I REALLY like the Specialized hard tail- my woman rides one...it feels like the business.

But that being said, they also feel disposable- more of a tool for a specific task (racing in this case- and there is nothing wrong with that) than a thing of beauty that I adore worshipping every chance I get on the trail. New bikes (meaning those cutting edge bikes produced out of Asia) seem to lose their luster quickly as technology changes annually and bike marketing changes your perspective on your beloved hi tech rig...so I effectively stopped playing that game.

Give me a ti or steel bike from one of the greats and I will be content.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have ridden a few of the latest carbon frames from Specialized, Niner- including the Flash carbon. I think they are nice bikes. There is something to carbon as a material- you can make a light bike that does not feel flimsy.

I used to be weight weenie and all the light bikes I put together always felts "pieced together"- whereas some of the newer carbon bikes feel like "one piece"- they are marvelous bikes and it amazes how good they are... I REALLY like the Specialized hard tail- my woman rides one...it feels like the business.

But that being said, they also feel disposable- more of a tool for a specific task (racing in this case- and there is nothing wrong with that) than a thing of beauty that I adore worshipping every chance I get on the trail. New bikes (meaning those cutting edge bikes produced out of Asia) seem to lose their luster quickly as technology changes annually and bike marketing changes your perspective on your beloved hi tech rig...so I effectively stopped playing that game.

Give me a ti or steel bike from one of the greats and I will be content.
    Good perspective. You can play the game or shut it out. The middle ground just leads to constant feelings of inferiority.

That said, I think it makes sense to trade out mountain bikes on a more frequent basis than road bikes, simply because the suspension technology changes so quickly.

If I were a product planner for a manufacturer, I'd spec FS bikes with cutting edge suspension tech, nice but not great wheels, alloy contact points, and Shimano SLX. Ride the hell out of it for two years, and when Fox comes up with the new wonder shock, replace. Put the money where it matters.

Wait, this is the IF thread? Carry on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think steel or ti hardtail 29ers are going out of style anytime soon so I'm with TBR on this one. And I don't think suspension changes that much year to year. For example the Lefty just had its first major redesign since it first came out...

And MTB parts aren't as disposable as they may seem. XT and XTR can take a beating. So can Enve bars...

And who rides SLX anyway??

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Good perspective. You can play the game or shut it out. The middle ground just leads to constant feelings of inferiority.

That said, I think it makes sense to trade out mountain bikes on a more frequent basis than road bikes, simply because the suspension technology changes so quickly.

If I were a product planner for a manufacturer, I'd spec FS bikes with cutting edge suspension tech, nice but not great wheels, alloy contact points, and Shimano SLX. Ride the hell out of it for two years, and when Fox comes up with the new wonder shock, replace. Put the money where it matters.

Wait, this is the IF thread? Carry on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    Don't think steel or ti hardtail 29ers are going out of style anytime soon so I'm with TBR on this one......And I don't think suspension changes that much year to year.....And MTB parts aren't as disposable as they may seem. XT and XTR can take a beating.
    That is one of the attractions to an IF for me is that it is classic and yet modern. It sort of bridges that gap that is not often successfully crossed.

FS bikes- I feel like FS bikes have just started to get to a point where the design can out live a few seasons and still be relevant. I may even want to ride a FS bike again soon (29er of course....my woman has a Blur LT decked out pretty nice which I ride to go pick up food or around town).

XTR and XT- amazing stuff. It just works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is my crown jewel !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love riding this bike.
    How's that Lefty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ian rutter View Post
    here is my crown jewel !
    I see you got the invisible paint!

(no pic - maybe repost? :-))

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobqzz View Post
    How's that Lefty?
    Funny- everyone asks me about the lefty. Even after 15+ years of production the fork still stops people.

It is pretty good- outside of the way it looks it performs like any other fork with the added benifit of the stiffness (it is stiff like a thru axle). The actual suspension action itself seems pretty good, but that being said I have never been that nuanced in suspension.

The best endorsement I have is that I am not selling this bike any time soon- normally the MTB bikes only las a season. This one is a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120805_01_001 2.jpg here is my crown jewel !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another no logo! Excellent. I had a corduroy jacket & pants in the late 1970's in that shade of blue. Not a bad thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSR CRx

I've had this for a while, but just picked up some Enve 65 clinchers, and finally got it set up "just so." It came to me indirectly through this forum, so I figured I'd share.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As they say in French- Tres Monster man!

What size are those tires?