Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IF disc road bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: IF disc road bike

With the Shimano R780 hydro / di2 shifters now available I've made the switch from Campag and BB7s. The electrics done and hydraulics are done but the bars, tape and fenders still need work.
    Untitled.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are a sick man in a good way ;) Such a creative pleasure, we should all be so lucky...wait...we are! Great work T. thanks for taking the time to post details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful. It was your bike, along with Soren's, that inspired me to go with discs on my Seven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the silver components and painted fork legs, that's the least distracting Wound-Up I've ever seen. Really a wonderful bicycle. Hats off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some background: I've been riding this bike pretty much unchanged since it was built in 2011, although I haven't touched it in the past 6 months. When I originally spec'd the bike there were not a lot of options for disc road: no Enve forks, no hydro discs, very few hubs etc etc.

2 years later a lot has changed and there are far more components available and much more knowledge (and acceptance) of disc road. The big one for me was the release of Shimano's R780 hydraulic disc brake / di2 kit - I'm a huge fan of Shimano's mtb discs and assume the road version will be just as awesome.

When I spec'd the IF I looked at internal / di2 routing but on a steel bike I've yet to see a cable routing system which is convertible between mechanical and di2 so I spec'd full-length housing for the rear derailleur. Full-length housing on a rain bike is perfect, and I knew the zip-tie guides could be used to hold electric wires in the future.

So after a bit of head-scratching I drilled an 8mm hole in the BB shell and into the existing 6mm vent hole in the bottom of the seattube. This would allow me to run 3 di2 wires (5mm head, 3mm cable) into the seattube.
    20131220_182940.jpg

I drilled out the right-side cable-stop to pass the di2 wire through, and drilled the sectioned rear brake housing stops for the 5mm hydro hose.
    20131221_150609.jpg

I'm super stoked with how the BB junction came out. There is a 300mm cable which runs from the front derailleur to the junction box in the bottom of the seattube - this was super tricky because unlike a proper di2 frame I had to feed the junction box in from the top of the seattube and so all the wires had to be run up the seattube, plugged into the junction box, then pulled back through simultaneously. Oldtimers will recognize the Shimano 6-bolt rotor shim which is folded in half to keep the cables tidy.
    20131221_180327.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The STI units are a little bulkier than the DuraAce mechanical-brake version but are very comfortable in the hand and don't seem to look as ugly in real life as they do in photos.
    20131220_192553.jpg

The callipers are pretty standard Shimano. I'd originally ordered the new magnesium XTR callipers because I'd read something online from a Shimano rep claiming a huge weight saving, plus I was hoping they were polished silver like the current XTR which would have looked awesome on the bike. The XTR callipers only saved 20g per end...quite a large percentage of the callipers weight but not enough for me to justify the cost, and the silver colour wasn't what I wanted.

20131213_114115.jpg
    20131213_114145.jpg
    Here are the 780 callipers with the Frezza rotors and finned pads. The skewers are Tune and the lockrings are polished silver Shimanos from the previous incarnation. At the moment the smallest rotor available is 160mm but 140mm is scheduled for production in March and will look great on the bike of my bike. My fork is IS160 so 160 is the smallest I can fit up front.
    20131221_180343.jpg

I need to tidy up the adapters and I'll try and get some of the XTR bolts.

.....to be continued

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did you get the R785 stuff? Seems everyone is still waiting on it coming available in North America.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brandonecpt View Post
    Where did you get the R785 stuff? Seems everyone is still waiting on it coming available in North America.
    One kit was available to buy from our local Shimano wholesaler so I jumped at it.

I've been riding it in the rain the past few days and it is un-friggin-believable. Unsurprisingly it's just like a pair of XT disc brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    One kit was available to buy from our local Shimano wholesaler so I jumped at it.

I've been riding it in the rain the past few days and it is un-friggin-believable. Unsurprisingly it's just like a pair of XT disc brakes.
    Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Can't wait for my setup. Shimano North America was projecting another week or two last time I talked to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the Shimano R780 hydro / di2 shifters now available I've made the switch from Campag and BB7s. The electrics done and hydraulics are done but the bars, tape and fenders still need work.
    Untitled.jpg
    I somehow missed this bike the first time around. Glad it came back up. Will definitely go into my best bike of 2013 list.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this bike. I want to build something similar for myself. How has the fork been in the long run? There seem to be a couple more options out but not many that will take fenders and fewer still that aren't tapered. What would be your first choice presently?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greensabbath View Post
    I love this bike. I want to build something similar for myself. How has the fork been in the long run? There seem to be a couple more options out but not many that will take fenders and fewer still that aren't tapered. What would be your first choice presently?
    The fork was a reluctant choice from day 1 - simply at the time there were not any other options which would allow fenders and a disc. Actually, there were no other disc brake forks.

Having said that the fork has been fine and it rides well. It's not super stiff while turning over broken-chip roads and with the new hydro discs it doesn't feel stiff enough at slow speed under hard braking. Given the gentlemanly nature of the bike these aren't issues but if I wanted something a little more aggressive I think they would be.

If I were building the bike today I'd be looking at either the Enve or Whisky forks with tapered steerers and trying to figure an elegant way of putting fenders on them. If fenders aren't an issue then one of these two forks would be a no-brainer to me.

The Whisky fork looks cool: room for a 28 tyre, thru-axle (I like that), and multiple rakes. Has anyone ridden one?
    Untitled.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Whisky fork looks cool: room for a 28 tyre, thru-axle (I like that), and multiple rakes. Has anyone ridden one?
    PVD despised it, at least in the cross version: PVD TRON Light Cycle | Peter Verdone Designs

I was initially encouraged by the low cost and 15mm TA of the Whiskey No.9 fork (FK5200). TA is the only way to go these days and ENVE doesnít have one yet. When I got the fork, I was struck by just how horribly ugly and poorly designed it is. It looks like complete garbage ascetically and when putting on my engineer/designer glasses it looks even worse. Then, putting the bike together I found that the cable routing for the fork is nothing short of retarded and slipshod by any measure. I was left to just tape the hose in place on the fork. Yuck. Worse (yup, it gets worse), when riding the fork in the shake down ride on my bike commute to work, I found the fork to be super duper ultra-holy-shit fucking stiff in a horrible, cruel, and bad way. Stiffer than any of my MTB ridged forks could ever be. Yes, even the segmented forks. A proper CX fork should flex a bit. Less than a road fork and more than a mountain fork. We call this passive suspension and itís really important. This thing barely even moves under the hardest of braking loads on pavement. Was it designed for a 600lb elephant? I donít get it. Iím pretty let down that something that looks so bad could work even worse. For shame QBP! For shame. If I wanted Surly level garbage, I would have bought from that line.
    user reports have all three models being significantly over the already-high claimed weights

(how dumb is it that they use the same number for 3-6 completely different forks?)

AFAIK Giant is the only one making a good road/cross thru-axle disc fork

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    user reports have all three models being significantly over the already-high claimed weights

(how dumb is it that they use the same number for 3-6 completely different forks?)
    THIS. I've ridden two of their MTB forks, and had no complaints with how they rode, but the TA fork was quite a bit heavier than claimed. Claimed weight is 680g, mine was 735g after cutting the steerer.

And their naming system really truly sucks. There seven No.7 forks, and four No.9 forks.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    THIS. I've ridden two of their MTB forks, and had no complaints with how they rode, but the TA fork was quite a bit heavier than claimed. Claimed weight is 680g, mine was 735g after cutting the steerer.

And their naming system really truly sucks. There seven No.7 forks, and four No.9 forks.
    the pricing is also ridiculous for being Winwood with new marketing staff

a Niner RDO has the same MSRP as the MTB #9 and is better in every regard

their Cross and Road #9 forks are $25 and $105 more expensive than ENVE -- I'm sure they'll sell some to people based solely on having a thru-axle, but I doubt it's a better fork

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the pricing is also ridiculous for being Winwood with new marketing staff

a Niner RDO has the same MSRP as the MTB #9 and is better in every regard

their Cross and Road #9 forks are $25 and $105 more expensive than ENVE -- I'm sure they'll sell some to people based solely on having a thru-axle, but I doubt it's a better fork
    IME with the two rigid MTB forks the thru axle isn't worth the extra weight and cost. It does stiffen it up in the corners a tiny bit, but it's subtle, it's not like the night and day difference between a QR and TA suspension fork.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fork was a reluctant choice from day 1 - simply at the time there were not any other options which would allow fenders and a disc. Actually, there were no other disc brake forks.

Having said that the fork has been fine and it rides well. It's not super stiff while turning over broken-chip roads and with the new hydro discs it doesn't feel stiff enough at slow speed under hard braking. Given the gentlemanly nature of the bike these aren't issues but if I wanted something a little more aggressive I think they would be.

If I were building the bike today I'd be looking at either the Enve or Whisky forks with tapered steerers and trying to figure an elegant way of putting fenders on them. If fenders aren't an issue then one of these two forks would be a no-brainer to me.

Untitled.jpg

I've ridden both the Enve and Whisky forks. To tell you the truth, I didn't notice much difference between the two in terms of ride quality, stiffness, or anything that the magazines report. I guess that weight and price would be more important qualities. I definitely like the idea of the thru axle design on the Whisky fork. As far as I know, they are the only aftermarket carbon road fork available at the moment that has a thru axle design. Unfortunately, the fork is very expensive.

One thing to consider about both forks is tire clearance. I like riding rough roads and taking the path less traveled sometimes on the backroads or dirt roads. That's where all the fun and adventure is. So, tire clearance is a big deal for me. I'd really, really want to squeeze a 32mm or 33mm tire in my bike so I can ride the backroads with Andy and Steve Hampsten. I can't remember what max tire size I could squeeze into the Enve. I think it was a 28mm. I definitely remember that I could barely squeeze a 28mm tire into the Whisky. If I am not mistaken, your Wound Up fork might have clearance for a 32mm tire. Like you, I want tire clearance too without having to resort to getting a cyclocross fork and jacking up the front end geometry of my bike. If only Enve or Whisky would have widened the fork crown, yet kept their fork height short for roadies... sigh.

The unique thing about the Would Up fork is that it has a fairly wide fork crown for a road fork. This helps heaps when you want to cram in a wider tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinda telling that Salsa isn't using Whisky forks for their Warbird line, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Kinda telling that Salsa isn't using Whisky forks for their Warbird line, isn't it?
    That could have to do with the thru-axle caveat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newellbt View Post
    That could have to do with the thru-axle caveat.

That's right. I was at Interbike last year and I talked to the dealer there, Ben something I think it was or maybe his colleague. I asked him why a company (Salsa) owned by QBP doesn't spec a fork (Whisky) also owned by QBP. He said that even though Salsa and Whisky are owned by the same parent company, they are two different sub brands and the Whisky label is distinctly different from the Salsa, but one of the main reasons why Salsa doesn't have a Whisky fork on there is exactly as you said about the thru axles.

The Salsa Colossal and Warbird both came out, and were also in design, 2-3 years ago. They spec'ed the Enve fork as the Whisky thru axle wasn't even available at that time. Also, the thru axle design on that Whisky was only spec'ed on the Foundry (Whisky sub brand) label, and sold as an aftermarket item. It was meant for that label only and it was also to see how well the adoption rate amongst riders would be to the thru axle design idea for road forks. He said that consumer demand for the thru axle carbon forks has been enormous and much higher than even they thought, which might explain for them outrageously increasing the price on these Whisky thru axle forks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast