Default Re: IF disc road bike

terrific

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fabulous example - enjoy in the best of health & thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im on my 5th IF, and no thre present incarnation/location hasn't lost its soul.... whatever that really
    means.

IF bikes are great bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love a non-rain version of this.

Outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
    love it! higher res pics please. what's the new IF NH logo look like?

Quote Originally Posted by brev View Post
    what is the spacer for the fender?
    It's a section of 10mm 6061 bar stock which had a close encounter with the lathe. I turned it down to the outside diameter of the frame's fender mount (about 9.7mm, probably 3/8" plus paint.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    nice execution. i'd like to see some close-ups of the delogo'd parts.

-g
    Nothing fancy. The Record shifters and Chorus rear derailleur have had a hard life and been crashed with some scratches in the carbon. I sanded them back, filled in the scratches with nail polish and re-cleared and few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this bike is awesome, i hope you enjoy it for a very long time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful! So how about those disc brakes? Do you feel that they modulate better than Campy calipers? How does the fork feel? (Wound Up?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suhacycles View Post
    Beautiful! So how about those disc brakes? Do you feel that they modulate better than Campy calipers? How does the fork feel? (Wound Up?)
    The BB-7s came off the previous Salsa, so I knew what the performance was like. Compared to the non-skeleton Record brakes on my other bike it's night and day - full brake control and modulation on a 10% descent, in the rain, from the hoods. It was the brakes which really forced this project - I loved riding / commuting on the Salsa but couldn't get the bars low enough and found the handling a little heavy and sluggish on the road. The IF was designed with road geometry and my road position in mind.

I've only put a few hundred km on the bike but the fork feels nice. The Wound Up wouldn't have been my first choice, however 6 months ago it was the only disc road fork out there. I looked at steel forks but Jesse at IF said they would need to use their mtb fork blades to pass CEN, although a couple of the guys in the shop were riding normal road fork blades with a disc mount, and I didn't want a super harsh steel fork (the Salsa has one of those) so I went with the Wound Up. It's the long-reach road model with a disc mount added, not the CX version. With the painted legs and polished crown it looks fantastic on the bike, and it rides much smoother than the Salsa's 1100g steel fork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    The BB-7s came off the previous Salsa, so I knew what the performance was like. Compared to the non-skeleton Record brakes on my other bike it's night and day - full brake control and modulation on a 10% descent, in the rain, from the hoods. It was the brakes which really forced this project - I loved riding / commuting on the Salsa but couldn't get the bars low enough and found the handling a little heavy and sluggish on the road. The IF was designed with road geometry and my road position in mind.

I've only put a few hundred km on the bike but the fork feels nice. The Wound Up wouldn't have been my first choice, however 6 months ago it was the only disc road fork out there. I looked at steel forks but Jesse at IF said they would need to use their mtb fork blades to pass CEN, although a couple of the guys in the shop were riding normal road fork blades with a disc mount, and I didn't want a super harsh steel fork (the Salsa has one of those) so I went with the Wound Up. It's the long-reach road model with a disc mount added, not the CX version. With the painted legs and polished crown it looks fantastic on the bike, and it rides much smoother than the Salsa's 1100g steel fork.

What is CEN?

Is the rear spaced at 130 or 135? And how long are those chain stays? How wide of a tire can you run without the fenders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    What is CEN?
    CEN is the European Committee for Standardization. They specify some safety guidelines and tests for bikes sold in Europe. As far as I know there is no legal requirement for a US-sold bike to meet CEN.

Is the rear spaced at 130 or 135? And how long are those chain stays? How wide of a tire can you run without the fenders?
    Rear spacing is 135mm. 130mm disc seems like a really dumb idea to me.

The chainstays are 420mm long. I haven't tried running a big tyre, but considering how much room the fenders take up I'd imagine a 30-33mm would fit with a bit of mud clearance. I wanted a road bike with road geometry - tyre clearance was side-effect of fender clearance rather than specific requirement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! That's an awesome bike for sure. I'm also looking forward to some pics/ hearing more about the fender struts and disc brakes and how that works out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    CEN is the European Committee for Standardization. They specify some safety guidelines and tests for bikes sold in Europe. As far as I know there is no legal requirement for a US-sold bike to meet CEN.

Rear spacing is 135mm. 130mm disc seems like a really dumb idea to me.

The chainstays are 420mm long. I haven't tried running a big tyre, but considering how much room the fenders take up I'd imagine a 30-33mm would fit with a bit of mud clearance. I wanted a road bike with road geometry - tyre clearance was side-effect of fender clearance rather than specific requirement.

That is fantastic. I noticed that you said your fork was a WoundUp Disc Road fork. I checked out their product page and noticed that the Axle to Crown is 370mm! True road disc brake forks that will wfit wide tires, not tall cyclocross or touring forks, are very very hard to find. Did WoundUp use a wider crown than normal on your fork. Just out of curiosity, how wide a front tire can you? 32s?

Just wondering, but why did you choose to go with a seatstay mounted disc brake instead of chainstay mounted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mraceebb View Post
    Wow! That's an awesome bike for sure. I'm also looking forward to some pics/ hearing more about the fender struts and disc brakes and how that works out.
    I've been away for a while and all my excess tinkertime has been devoted to the Cannondale so I haven't made any progress on the fenders. Hopefully in the next week or two!

That is fantastic. I noticed that you said your fork was a WoundUp Disc Road fork. I checked out their product page and noticed that the Axle to Crown is 370mm! True road disc brake forks that will wfit wide tires, not tall cyclocross or touring forks, are very very hard to find. Did WoundUp use a wider crown than normal on your fork. Just out of curiosity, how wide a front tire can you? 32s?
    I don't like the look of CX forks with a 23mm tyre - way too much clearance and excess height. WoundUp don't list the long-reach fork with a disc mount but they didn't have any problem making one. AFAIK the crown is standard width for that model and is a great fit with the Honjos.

Just wondering, but why did you choose to go with a seatstay mounted disc brake instead of chainstay mounted?
    I asked for a chainstay mounted disc, however the only dropouts which IF use had a min chainstay length of 435mm which was too long for what I wanted. We switched to the seatstay mount dropouts to keep the chainstay length sensible. IF were great at welding some fender mounts onto the dropout in such a way that the stuts clear the disc caliper.

I also asked for full-length rear shift housing and they did a great job of running the housing along the downtube, then above the BB and along the top of the chainstay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silver A23s? Is this some kind of southern-hemisphere bro deal? I'd love to have a pair of those north of the equator.

Seriously hot bike, too. It pushes a lot of my buttons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    Silver A23s? Is this some kind of southern-hemisphere bro deal? I'd love to have a pair of those north of the equator.

I don't think they're listed in the catalog but at least a couple of months ago the silver A23s were available from the U.S. distrib. We picked up a few sets at my shop.

Also, I love this bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure - I just ordered them, waited a month and they turned up. Both the Australian and US website list only black as a colour.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 'disc-braked-titanium-ALLROAD-bike' will be my next bike of choice. I have a Redline CX with discs and it is great. I have used it for offroading and for winter/bad weather road riding and it has not let me down.

Tristan, yours is gorgeous. When it comes time (a few years from now), IF will be on my shortlist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride report, please. Particularly regarding comparisons to regular road bikes, vis a vis weight, and how this affects the fun factor. Thanks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast