User Tag List

Page 94 of 116 FirstFirst ... 84858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2319

Thread: Hampsten / Tournesol

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hampsten / Tournesol

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Why not just ask Hampco?
    Dustin,

I've been talking with Steve. Just looking for more info - Steve is too modest!

I know how the Strada Bianca rides. It rides great! So I guess I'm just curious about the Gran Paradiso titanium frames and how owners would describe their ride characteristics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing that the Gran Paradiso is more race oriented. I was on the fence between the MAX and a Dolce Vita. Steve said they both ride great but the LDV is more suited for the fast hammer rides and such. I'm thinking that the MAX sits right between the Strada Bianca and the LDV or Gran Paradiso. Either way you're good.
    Artie Deianni

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Dustin,

I know how the Strada Bianca rides. It rides great! So I guess I'm just curious about the Gran Paradiso titanium frames and how owners would describe their ride characteristics.
    I have the ti GP. Would be great to be able to share a comparison to a Max Hampsten in a SB config, but since I've only ridden mine I don't know how they might differ.

I agonized twice over GP vs SB, and ti vs steel, and both times chose ti GP. My ti GP rides like I expect it too. I could use all the buzzwords to describe a frame, but it just works. I've ridden some pretty crappy stuff w/28mm tires at lower pressures and the ride has been really smooth -- to the point where I wonder what else I'd get from a 32mm tire. It has more get up and go than I do for sprinting.

Trust Steve, and write the check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody has both a GP and SB to compare? Surely there are some double dippers lurking here who could discuss the finer points of the Hampsten catalog offerings.
    i haven't ridden both, but i do have a SB ti.
    when steve and i talked, i told him i wanted a bike that could fit wide tires and that i prefer bikes to be on the quicker handling side. i specifically mentioned my gaulzetti corsa as a reference.
    the bike steve built perfectly fits those objectives.
    so my guess would be that steve could build a SB to ride pretty much any way you like.
    but what do i know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't posted pics of my ti GP for quite a while, and decided while swapping wheels to grab a couple of shots. Dirty bike, clean chain:) FYI, I usually have a white saddle with white bar tape, but I'm trying out a Specialized Power and only had access to one in black. Verdict on the saddle is TBD.

Went to tan sidewalls on the carbon wheels; I like the look a lot as well as the ride of the Vittoria SC tubs. Next shot is with my new Shamal tubs, shod in Vittoria Corsa Elites in 25. The ride, you ask? Well, if I didn't already have the Bontragers I'm not sure I'd actually buy carbon wheels as these ride so nicely. Very stiff with lots of get up and go, but no harshness at all. (Of course, I'm carrying some extra ballast so maybe that's the difference.) Smoooooth Campag bearings roll on and on -- even at first. And incredibly quiet, both freehub and lack of wind noise. Highly recommended!

DSC_0167.JPG
    DSC_0168.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good! I'm loving the carbon rim and tan wall setup.

+1 on the Shamals.
    Artie Deianni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gorgeous bike! Hoping to get in line for one soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prefer the look of the Shamals. Not sure how the Bontragers ride but I'm less of a fan of the white spokes.

Thoughts on the ride compared to the Nucleons? Any perceptible difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Prefer the look of the Shamals. Not sure how the Bontragers ride but I'm less of a fan of the white spokes.

Thoughts on the ride compared to the Nucleons? Any perceptible difference?
    Shamals feel more solid than the Nucleons, a bit more sure-footed. I know it's not the tires as I have Vittoria Corsa Elite 25s on both. I think I can tell a positive difference in acceleration and power (smirk) going more directly into forward motion.

Having said that, it could all be in my head since these are the newest addition.

On aesthetics, I actually really like the white spokes in person. For me it ties together nicely the usual white saddle, tape and the Hampsten-aesthetic minimalist white graphics.

I'm ambivalent about the look of the G3 spoking in the rear, but man, I believe Campagnolo has it nailed with wheel peformance. I have thought about picking up some dark-label graphics for the Shamals, but there is something about having Campagnolo lettering pop out so nicely in white....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I posted a shot of this. Like lipstick on a pig, but oh what a pig.

image-1310193382.jpg
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rummaging around in my garage a couple of weeks ago, I discovered a fresh package of Grand Bois Cypres that I bought quite awhile ago and forgot that I had. I decided to mount them and try them out. Very nice!

For the past few years, I've been using Challenge tires (in various widths) almost exclusively, with a pair of Clement Strada 25s and 28s thrown in for good measure. I had some rough luck with two sets of Challenge Eroica tires (before the name change to Strada Bianca), both of which suffered massive bead blowouts. (To their credit, Challenge warrantied both sets.) I'll be curious to see how durable the Grand Bois are. For now, I'm thoroughly enjoying the smooth ride, and find that they ride every bit as a good as the Eroica tires did.

IMG_6332.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm riding the Grand Bois Cerf on my MAX. Experiencing the same thing after shredding 2 sets of Challenge PRs.
    Smooth on the road and holding up really well on the gravel.
    The bike looks fantastic!!
    Artie Deianni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've put more than 1000 miles on my Cerf 26's with no problems at all. The only flat (knock on wood) that I've had was a pinch flat after hitting a pot hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daym Mr. Hampco Towers if I weren't such a Ti and steel curmudgeon you might could hook me on that blue carbon ride. That there is a purdy one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fendered and ready for fall riding...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dustin,

The fitting was done by Andy Hampsten based off of a 1992 Motorola Merckx, designed by maestro Steve Hampsten, and welded by the genius known as Max. I told Andy that if my house burnt down, it would be great to not have to think about which bike to save.

The GP is a "race-oriented" geometry but you can definitely ride this all day and feel like you want to ride it another 5 hours. Mine has a 170mm ht and shallow drops so I can ride this all day in the drops and feel no soreness in neck/shoulders. I've ridden / traveled with the bike on three continents and travelled in three of the US states with it. If you ask Steve what you want, he will make it happen for you! (maybe not a neon-fade polka-dot GP, however).

Perfect steed combo IMO:
    Ti GP
    MAX Strada Bianca
    Pego-Richie Team Pro (for those fair-weather nostalgia days)

This is a 2011 GP Ti "Travelissimo" and a picture from a few days ago. Still rides the same as the day I got it, which is amazing!:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

image-2219173446.jpg

It's time to bring the Hampsten thread back to the top.
    Lakeland is home to Florida Southern College which has a large collection of Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings. My photo skills suck but I call this composition
    "Frank Lloyd Wright and Done Just Right"

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice on both features.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gorgeous bike! Hoping to get in line for one soon!
    Well, I got in line.

Yesterday I got this teaser shot!