User Tag List

Page 67 of 117 FirstFirst ... 575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2328

Thread: Hampsten / Tournesol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hampsten / Tournesol

Perfect.

MAX 1.jpg
    Artie Deianni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hampsten is finished for now. New additions include a Moots stem, Shimano DA9000 C24's and Grand Bois Cerf 26 tires. It will be interesting to see how the tires ride compared to the Vittoria Open Corsa CX 25's they replaced. Also, interestingly, the Falz fork has a little more room than expected with the 26's. I thought it would be really tight but with the Shimano c24's wheels the new tires measure about 26.5. They may stretch out a bit...

Did i say i love this bike? It rides as good or better than all of my previous rides.

Thanks Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wooly View Post

Did i say i love this bike? It rides as good or better than all of my previous rides.

Thanks Steve.
    And not to shabby in the looks department either if I might add!!! That thing is just perfection. Sure there are some things I would change but none of them would make it better ... just mine!

Gordon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see how the tires ride compared to the Vittoria Open Corsa CX 25's they replaced.
    IME they ride every bit as well, last better and are more comfortable. Great tyre. My wife stole mine though so I'm back on tubs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very elegant. Definitely my size. I'll PM you my address.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    IME they ride every bit as well, last better and are more comfortable. Great tyre. My wife stole mine though so I'm back on tubs.
    So, Rich, compare them to tubs for us. Inquiring minds want to know.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably the least 'skittish' clincher I've ridden - and that's probably a lot to do with it being a decent volume supple casing that you would generally run at a lower pressure.

Not as plush as a 25c FMB, perhaps slightly smoother rolling than a 22c Conti Comp.

But it's all perception - YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Rich. Think I'll stick w/tubulars or Ultremo ZX28s for clinchers for now.

And in other news, Steve told me he was starting my ti GP yesterday, and look what shows up in my inbox already today...

"Here's what your frame looked like at the beginning of the day: stay tuned!"

GP+ti+tubes.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hampsten - Makeover.jpgI'll post better pics at some point, but here is my old Hampsten (circa 2000, Match built) w/ a makeover. New dress and all. Thanks Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday a pile of tubes, today from Steve "Keeping the elves busy"

Wowza!

ti+GP+day+2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 63791

Going thru' a box of old stuff at my parents' house, I found an old issue of Velonews from 1993, a right brake lever, and a right downtube shifter (leftovers from a right-only STi set-up). Oh yes, I was a fan of Andy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Yesterday a pile of tubes, today from Steve "Keeping the elves busy"

Wowza!

ti+GP+day+2.jpg
    Hey, wait a minute... another GPti...? You sold the other one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by INDECS View Post
    Hey, wait a minute... another GPti...? You sold the other one?
    Yes, well.... Short story is we wanted to make a couple of tweaks to my original BP to make it work better for me. After some consideration rather than making changes to the existing frame, Steve sold my GP in his latest yard sale (bottom bike here; also pics in the HampCo yard sale thread) and he's building the new frame here.

The changes we decided on are incorporated in the new version -- a few slight geometry changes, some larger tubes (including 1" chainstays!) plus Steve's new larger 38mm HT designed for the King D-11 HS. Bigger/stiffer than a conventional 34mm HT, but not all the way to 44; the aesthetics work better on Steve's bikes with the less-than-huge HT.

As you know, Steve is amazing to work with; the first bike was great, and this one will be even better for me. I'm eagerly awaiting the continuing progress on the frame!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrowland View Post
    Hampsten - Makeover.jpgI'll post better pics at some point, but here is my old Hampsten (circa 2000, Match built) w/ a makeover. New dress and all. Thanks Steve.
    Wow that bike looks great! We've got twins :) and now you've got me thinking about some PDW fenders, I like the classic look of the Honjo's but would like a little better coverage...

1221131019.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Wow that bike looks great! We've got twins :) and now you've got me thinking about some PDW fenders, I like the classic look of the Honjo's but would like a little better coverage...
    The PDWs won't give you better coverage. Hang a mud flap/watterbottle/buddy flap off your honjos. The PDWs (in 35) are narrower than your honjos and I'm doubtful that they are longer. They are also pretty damn expensive and technically overkill for your application. PDWs are great for bikes without fender mounts and sub-optimal clearances.

Stick with the honjos. If you want more coverage buy some sks longboards. Best fender available straight outta the box...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Yes, well.... Short story is we wanted to make a couple of tweaks to my original BP to make it work better for me. After some consideration rather than making changes to the existing frame, Steve sold my GP in his latest yard sale (bottom bike here; also pics in the HampCo yard sale thread) and he's building the new frame here.

The changes we decided on are incorporated in the new version -- a few slight geometry changes, some larger tubes (including 1" chainstays!) plus Steve's new larger 38mm HT designed for the King D-11 HS. Bigger/stiffer than a conventional 34mm HT, but not all the way to 44; the aesthetics work better on Steve's bikes with the less-than-huge HT.

As you know, Steve is amazing to work with; the first bike was great, and this one will be even better for me. I'm eagerly awaiting the continuing progress on the frame!
    Cool, I see. I hope you'll like it even more than the previous one.
    That fat HT would go well with a Falz...

It seems that mr. Tweedy will start brazing my future Team Pro pretty soon. At the moment there are only welded frames in the Hampco queue, so no waiting line for the lugged frames.
    Sorry to those folks who have been waiting for months! Feels a little like skipping the line...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, I see. I hope you'll like it even more than the previous one.
    That fat HT would go well with a Falz...

It seems that mr. Tweedy will start brazing my future Team Pro pretty soon. At the moment there are only welded frames in the Hampco queue, so no waiting line for the lugged frames.
    Sorry to those folks who have been waiting for months! Feels a little like skipping the line...
    Mmmm. Team Pro will be awesome -- and another Hampsten in your stable is very cool.

I really like the lines of the Falz, but Steve says the Enve has better clearance and I'm looking to max out the tire size I can use without going the SB/Wound-Up route. I've even picked up a set of Ultegra 6700 brakes in grey to put on my otherwise Campagnolo bike (ok, I am running Shimano pedals too) to allow for the largest tire possible.

The SB/Wound up would be my next one, in Max, maybe in Belgian Blue like those a couple posts up -- if I'd ever think about going for another frame:).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True thing about clearance, ENVE will be better in that department. Plus you'll save some weight.

I've been pondering about that lugged Hampsten ever since I got to know about the company.
    For a fat tire/fender bike titanium tubes just seemed the more practical choice. So went that route for the SB.

Now that I've sold my damaged Cervelo, I just "needed" a second bike. Perfect excuse for a Team Pro.
    Pegorichie, steel fork, vertical dropouts, fastback seat cluster, short reach setup maxed out for 28s.
    Campy calipers will be close call, if it's too tight I'll go Ultegra 6700 as well, or Campy + 26/27mm. Not too worried about it because I can grab the SBti if I feel like riding fat tires.
    Paint: think Steve's off-white Max with a tiny bit of color detailing.
    Hmmm, I'm sure this one will be fun. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pegorichie, steel fork, vertical dropouts, fastback seat cluster, short reach setup maxed out for 28s.
    Sounds perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Sounds perfect.
    That does sound perfect ... but I'm going to stick to the GP TI for now!!! I guess it's reason enough for more than one Hampsten!