Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hampsten / Tournesol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    yeah, i know - i need new bars for next year. what do folks like or should i just do a search? i like classic bend but i don't like the modern/shallow drops.
    Have you tried the Nitto 176?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steve, i do like curve of the 176 nitto bar but my favorite stem is the thomson x2 (yeah, i know) which is 31.8mm only. thoughts for another silver stem, 26.0?

it's a lugged frame, if that helps
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steve, i do like curve of the 176 nitto bar but my favorite stem is the thomson x2 (yeah, i know) which is 31.8mm only. thoughts for another silver stem, 26.0?

I still like the Nitto with the goofy UGX5ish name, as represented on the carbon leger. A lot, actually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on the nitto...and i've heard it's not too difficult to get rid of the graphics and make it a stealth stem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HampCo - If someone could special order the Nitto Noodle bar or Soba bar in a 31.8, I'd be in for two or more bars. Like your love for the Thomson X2 dictates your bar choice, my love of the Noodle bar forces me to use an inferior stem.

:)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also +1 on the Nitto - I have it on my Kirk with Cinelli 65's - great combo.

Cheers!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nitto UI-5gx? Rivendell's Nitto lugged threadless? A custom stem like this one from Johnny Cycles?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wSjooMCwpZ...s+topcap+1.JPG

Of course, if you're looking for something a bit more modest in price, there's always the Velo Orange threadless stem, which is only $35

http://velo-orange.com/vostem.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meh...
    Steve Hampsten
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a shame you don't have connections to anyone who could make a sweet stem.

FWIW I think custom stems that incorporate spacer height a la Vanilla, Pereira, and Engin are it. Fillet brazed (or Engin's lugs) and simple in color. Indulgent? Hell yes. That's why I'm running a cromoto Salsa until I can indulge.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meh...
    You don't like that Johnny Cycles custom stem? Hard to believe that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like it, i just don't see it working on a modern-style bike with current sram parts and no other chrome parts. if i was going retro or featuring silver parts it could work - i like how that stem combines top cap, stem, and spacers all in one. is johnny still in business?
    Steve Hampsten
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    It's a shame you don't have connections to anyone who could make a sweet stem.

FWIW I think custom stems that incorporate spacer height a la Vanilla, Pereira, and Engin are it. Fillet brazed (or Engin's lugs) and simple in color. Indulgent? Hell yes. That's why I'm running a cromoto Salsa until I can indulge.
    connections? i got connections...

frankly, i'm not into the handmade steel stem look for myself. nothing against it, just hasn't moved me
    Steve Hampsten
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve,

Just noticed that there is no description for the Tournesol Randonneuse on your site. Got one?

Thanks,

Kenny

PS. That is one baddass looking bike. I imagine it rides as it looks... maybe someday for me...

It may be the one bike I have built for me in this life.

Must not think about this must not think about this must not think about...this...now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelinpol View Post
    PS. That is one baddass looking bike. I imagine it rides as it looks... maybe someday for me...

It may be the one bike I have built for me in this life.

Must not think about this must not think about this must not think about...this...now.
    Why ever not? You could take years thinking about it, saving for it, and then after you pull the trigger you're going to wait some more. All that is just an opportunity to savor it. It's not lust; lust is a sin. It's anticipation. It's exploring your Platonic Ideal. Those are good things.

Tournesols are wonderful. I saw a few up close at dbrk's last summer, and they're even nicer in real life than they are in the photos. I know that's hard to believe, but it is true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just put aside my first few dollars in my mind. Tomorrow is payday. It may take two years or more... I have to find something to cut back on. Hey wait...gas. That was easy.

I know it is jussa bike. I was foolin and droolin around.

But i would really enjoy fawning over it and riding it to hell and back and will work and save toward purchasing one.

Just made up my mind. Right here in front of the eyes of the interweb.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just put aside my first few dollars in my mind. Tomorrow is payday. It may take two years or more... I have to find something to cut back on. Hey wait...gas. That was easy.

I know it is jussa bike. I was foolin and droolin around.

But i would really enjoy fawning over it and riding it to hell and back and will work and save toward purchasing one.

Just made up my mind. Right here in front of the eyes of the interweb.....
    Glad I could help. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just noticed that there is no description for the Tournesol Randonneuse on your site. Got one?

kenny, i intentionally left the description off the randonneuse page in a fit of - what, minimalism? - thinking that the pictures would explain the bike better than i or douglas could. but i came up with this without much struggle:

"Our Tournesol Audax or Randonneuse frame is intended to work with 28mm tires, fenders, a small rack, centre-pull brakes, and some sort of lighting accommodation. Designed for a mix of road surfaces, carrying a small load, in all types of weather, and with no fear of the dark - this bike will take you there and get you back home. With style."
    Steve Hampsten
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kenny, i intentionally left the description off the randonneuse page in a fit of - what, minimalism? - thinking that the pictures would explain the bike better than i or douglas could. but i came up with this without much struggle:

"Our Tournesol Audax or Randonneuse frame is intended to work with 28mm tires, fenders, a small rack, centre-pull brakes, and some sort of lighting accommodation. Designed for a mix of road surfaces, carrying a small load, in all types of weather, and with no fear of the dark - this bike will take you there and get you back home. With style."
    Have you ever considered bumping that up to 32mm? For those of a certain weight, the difference between 28 and 32mm is a rather large performance difference, especially when the road surfaces get bad or loose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hear ya: 30-33.3mm works just fine, especially on crappier surfaces and it looks good on any bike. but for most folks under "normal" conditions, i think the smaller size works best.

ymmv
    Steve Hampsten
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds good to me!

PS. You had me at "28mm tires, fenders,..."

Well, you actually had me at ..." i or douglas.." oh yeah, and the pictures...

Thanks for the response.