User Tag List

Page 29 of 117 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Hampsten / Tournesol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hampsten / Tournesol

Steve can you show us some Max made Ti beads? Mine look pretty good on my Tig Max made Max tubed frame, but the paint hides the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I visited the shop and got some naked welds before any polishing went down on my frame. Max rules. I was happy to read Max and his 333fab brand get mentioned in last month's Peloton Mag.

And after

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You also can see some of Max's ti welds on my GP earlier in this thread. Amazing quality!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Mr. Steve and Tele. Those are some nice welds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    Yeah, I'll get some more shots on the way home. It just arrived last night. The plan was to take some pictures on the way in to work, but I ended up running late. Here's the build sheet:

Hampco MAX by Cody Wms, on Flickr

Does anyone know how fat of a tire you can run with chain stays that are 418 mm or thereabouts?

Last edited by Bigfoot; 10-29-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Does anyone know how fat of a tire you can run with chain stays that are 418 mm or thereabouts?

On my bike (the pic quoted above) the limit is actually at the fork. I got the last or one of the last Alpha Q forks on planet Earth. But, I usually run 24s with fenders (Vittoria Paves) and I've also run the Challenge Parigi Roubaix tires, which measure out as 29s, on the bike with no problems. It's not possible to run the Challenge tires and fenders with the fork, and I haven't tried to see if it would fit in the back. I can take a picture of the tire clearance, but it'll take me a couple weeks (traveling right now).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cody.wms is right. The chainstay on my Strada Bianca is 42mm even, and it fits the 32mm Dugasts with ease, and will fit a fender with 28mm tires. The fork is the tricky part. The Seven fork I'm using will accept fenders and a 28mm tire, as will a WoundUp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whoa got any more pics of that rig? that's really sharp looking.

Quote Originally Posted by x43x View Post

And after

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    The Seven fork I'm using will accept fenders and a 28mm tire, as will a WoundUp.
    So what's the word on this fork? I haven't heard or read much about it, but it is a true long reach carbon fork, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
    whoa got any more pics of that rig? that's really sharp looking.
    A bunch on Pg 20 & 21 of this thread :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cody.wms is right. The chainstay on my Strada Bianca is 42mm even, and it fits the 32mm Dugasts with ease, and will fit a fender with 28mm tires. The fork is the tricky part. The Seven fork I'm using will accept fenders and a 28mm tire, as will a WoundUp.

Interesting. How fat a tire can you fit on a chainstay that is 420mm? And how fat a tire will fit in your Woundup? I wonder also if all the Woundup forks have the same crown inner diameter so that they all fit the same width of tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. How fat a tire can you fit on a chainstay that is 420mm? And how fat a tire will fit in your Woundup? I wonder also if all the Woundup forks have the same crown inner diameter so that they all fit the same width of tire.
    I think the width would become a concern before height, at least on my bike. I could easily fit a 33 - 34mm tire (e.g., Jack Brown's, or the 34mm version of the tire that I have on it now (or equivalent)). I could also probably fit a knobbier 'cross tire in 34mm, but I haven't tried it. The fork I have is a Seven, not a WoundUp, so I can't speak to those. I would shoot a pm or email to Steve—he knows the WoundUp's for these types of applications as well as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    So what's the word on this fork? I haven't heard or read much about it, but it is a true long reach carbon fork, right?
    It's a true touring fork, for mid-reach (57mm) brakes. It's stout, and has eyelets for fenders. It's not the prettiest thing (I don't think Steve got a chance to ride it, but I suspect his main gripe with it is aesthetic), but I like its proportions better on a bigger-tubed ti bike than the WoundUp, which I think looks better on a skinnier-tubed bike (like the delicious pistachio Strada Bianca).
    Last edited by happycampyer; 10-30-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a true touring fork, for mid-reach (57mm) brakes. It's stout, and has eyelets for fenders. It's not the prettiest thing (I don't think Steve got a chance to ride it, but I suspect his main gripe with it is aesthetic), but I like its proportions better on a bigger-tubed ti bike than the WoundUp, which I think looks better on a skinnier-tubed bike (like the delicious pistachio Strada Bianca).
    Thanks! I'm with you on the aesthetics of Wound-Ups. I think that they can do quite a bit of customization on the forks (as far as ride quality goes), but I don't usually how they look. The Hampco in the alps a few pages back looks good, but few others do to me. Glad to see Seven has taken up the Alpha Q torch with a modern looking long reach fork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Seven has always offered this fork, it's just that Seven isn't a company that immediately jumps to mind when looking for a fork (for a non-Seven frame). I considered the new Serotta touring fork (which is basically an S3 or F3 with an extended dropout), but Steve was concerned that the clearance might be too tight for what I wanted—the Seven is squared-off at the underside of the crown, which gives it a lot more clearance. The Serotta fork looks nicer, imo, but the Seven seemed to be more practical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, not quick enough to edit. Here's a picture that gives an idea of the interior shape of the fork. I don't have a pic that's straight on to show clearance, but you can get an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so, the Seven fork definitely looks nice, but I'm wondering--what's the opposition to Wound-Up forks? Is it the love it or hate it aesthetic? Weight? Concern over the carbon/aluminum joints? Gut reaction makes me think I would prefer a monocoque fork...though I've obviously owned forks with steel steerers, aluminum dropouts and never had any issues.
    As TK describes it on his website, it's supposed to be ridiculously torsionally stiff and fender-y. They're available in multiple rakes, and have a normal seeming axle to crown of 365mm.
    So what gives?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
    Ok, so, the Seven fork definitely looks nice, but I'm wondering--what's the opposition to Wound-Up forks? Is it the love it or hate it aesthetic?
    For me it's the aesthetic. No real rational reason. Never heard a bad thing about how they ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Seven has always offered this fork, it's just that Seven isn't a company that immediately jumps to mind when looking for a fork (for a non-Seven frame). I considered the new Serotta touring fork (which is basically an S3 or F3 with an extended dropout), but Steve was concerned that the clearance might be too tight for what I wanted—the Seven is squared-off at the underside of the crown, which gives it a lot more clearance. The Serotta fork looks nicer, imo, but the Seven seemed to be more practical.
    I think the "extendedness" is the problem with the Co-Motion fork too -- Both long, but don't have much crown clearance. The Seven looks like a winner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Seven fork

I have used the Seven fork extensively (on a Seven, so pardon the intrusion in this thread ) and it has handled everything I have thrown at it with aplomb. This has included many long distance rides on all kinds of surfaces where it has proven comfortable, while it has also cornered well and handled hard braking in places like the Dolomites.

As happycamper mentions, the fork can take Jack Brown tyres, which measure 35mm wide on A23 rims. I have attached a few photos of it with Grand Bois 28mm tyres (nominal 28s, that is, as they measure 30mm wide as shown, again on A23 rims) and Crud Road Racer mudguards. There's also a shot of it with 42 or 43mm wide Honjos over the 28mm Grand Bois tyres, but I had to dimple the Honjo slightly to get it through the fork.

Hope this helps illustrate things!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JBay says that the Seven fork will fit a Jack Brown tire, but I'm not so sure. The product page for the Seven fork claims that it will fit up to a 28mm tire. The jack brown is 33mm.

And how about a chain stay of 410mm. Will a 33 mm Jack brown fit in a chain stay that short?