Thread: Hampsten / Tournesol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hampsten / Tournesol

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Having recent experience with fenders creaking through contact with the frame, and looking at the little clear pieces of rubbery tape some fender manufacturers include to combat this, I wonder if small, hard-to-see pieces of a tape like that (seems to be lots of variants sold for child-proofing at home) or even a small dab of rubber cement would turn the trick.
    Unfortunately I've already tried patches of rubbery tape to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    To help make my mind up, I tried my DA C40s on it. Hmmm...
    I rode it with these on this morning. 28c tubs made for a *very* firm ride, even at lower pressures than I run these on my other bike. Amazing what a difference 28c Vs 30c can feel like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t stop the carbon fenders creaking against the fork, so I’ve taken them off for now. Their 40mm width is probably too tight on this frame without cutting them, which I’m not overly excited about doing. They flex enough to fit in, but that means the sharp edges of the carbon has been scraping against the inside of the fork blade and I can’t seem to stop that happening.

I’ll probably order some of the 37mm PDW FMFs now as those should work quite well and I know I like the way they look and work from using the skinnier ones before.

Whilst the fenders are off I might as well try the 36mm Challenge tubeless tubulars. I’ve measured up and I’m certain there’s room - I just need to decide which wheels to put them on.

To help make my mind up, I tried my DA C40s on it. Hmmm...
    After all of that, the 36mm Challenge tyres didn't fit and I finally cut the fenders only to realise they're not what's causing the noise...

Turned out the creak has (hopefully, sort of) turned out to be my front wheel. As such, and to test this for certain, I have loaded my C40s back into it - this time with the fenders still installed.

Can't help but like it. It has a certain hot rod / café racer feel to it:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those fenders look awesome as-is. And the front drops far enough below your crankset that a mudguard is pretty irrelevant.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turned out the creak has (hopefully, sort of) turned out to be my front wheel. As such, and to test this for certain, I have loaded my C40s back into it - this time with the fenders still installed.
    Because I know you were all fretting about it (!!), the C40 wheel test confirmed the creak was my other wheels. Turns out the previous owner had 'adjusted' the bearings - the end caps were done up so tight I cracked one trying to undo it! That resulted in having to order a replacement axle kit (the broken one isn't replaceable without replacing the whole axle), which is now installed ready to test tomorrow...

And because this is a gallery: