Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 2509

Thread: Hampsten / Tournesol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hampsten / Tournesol

Wow!!! Hampsten was my next pick if Bishop didn't work out. I've been telling myself - "one and done" with custom bikes. But, having seen yours.....I'm having second thoughts.

Artie

Sweet bike Rich.

+1 on the script logo.

[IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    you also might have swayed me towards 9100 as a SRAM replacement on mine.
    I doubt you'll be disappointed. I now run it on both bikes after a couple of years on 12v Super Record and Record groupsets - I much prefer it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    I doubt you'll be disappointed. I now run it on both bikes after a couple of years on 12v Super Record and Record groupsets - I much prefer it.
    Riding the 7800 equipped CAAD9 always makes me marvel at how good the shifting is compared to SRAM, especially the front shift which is really awful on the SRAM with it's flexy wide cage front mech.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding the 7800 equipped CAAD9 always makes me marvel at how good the shifting is compared to SRAM, especially the front shift which is really awful on the SRAM with it's flexy wide cage front mech.
    In all fairness, the version of SRAM you're riding is far from their best example. If you can find a 10 speed Red Yaw FD, give it a shot. That'll improve your front shifting considerably. A 7800 FD would actually work ok, too. I ran a Force 10 speed with 7800 FD for a couple years on my old Spooky until SRAM came out with the Yaw FD. Never had any issues. Eleven speed SRAM is yet another jump forward in terms of shifting from the 10 speed stuff.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    In all fairness, the version of SRAM you're riding is far from their best example. If you can find a 10 speed Red Yaw FD, give it a shot. That'll improve your front shifting considerably. A 7800 FD would actually work ok, too. I ran a Force 10 speed with 7800 FD for a couple years on my old Spooky until SRAM came out with the Yaw FD. Never had any issues. Eleven speed SRAM is yet another jump forward in terms of shifting from the 10 speed stuff.
    Good info, thanks. There is a new one on Ebay with a starting bid of £65.00, will see if I can snag it. I know it sounds over the top but the front shift really ruins my enjoyment sometimes. Will it shift? Will the chain fall off etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good info, thanks. There is a new one on Ebay with a starting bid of £65.00, will see if I can snag it. I know it sounds over the top but the front shift really ruins my enjoyment sometimes. Will it shift? Will the chain fall off etc.
    Not over the top at all. I much prefer SRAM ergonomics and shifting to Shimano, but that old FD design was garbage and concerning. Yaw was jump forward and I've been very happy with Red22 or Force22 after many thousands of miles across multiple bikes/groups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you write something like that you should tell everyone how many generations behind your front derailleur is, what year, and how many miles are on it. And is that SRAM Force or Rival?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    When you write something like that you should tell everyone how many generations behind your front derailleur is, what year, and how many miles are on it. And is that SRAM Force or Rival?
    It's Force, I'm guessing 2 generations behind, 2010 and it didn't shift well from new, it's only got a few hundred miles on it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Force, I'm guessing 2 generations behind, 2010 and it didn't shift well from new, it's only got a few hundred miles on it now.
    Since then there has been a second generation of Red 10sp, then Red 11sp, then eTap 11 and now eTap 12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know way more about it than me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I’m not mistaken, the script logo was designed by the late Rich Roat, or someone on his team at House Industries. I like the pig’s tail on the end of the “n.”

The bike looks great. I do think that you’ll have a hard time reinstalling the fenders once you put supple 35mm tires on the bike...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    I do think that you’ll have a hard time reinstalling the fenders once you put supple 35mm tires on the bike...
    I hear you; but thankfully (sort of, I think), putting 35mm slicks on probably means a change of wheels, based on my research on available tubular tyre options at that size - although I am more than happy to be proven wrong of course!

At this point in time, a set of clinchers that I'm actually happy buying (e.g. DT Swiss PR1400 OXiC, HED Ardennes Black, or something custom based on a low profile carbon rim with a good brake surface) ain't gonna happen in any hurry, so any curiosity around how a set of Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass Extralights will feel on this glorious machine will just have to wait... damn it!

But thats ok for now, given how much I'm enjoying riding it and how damn good it currently looks!:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    If I’m not mistaken, the script logo was designed by the late Rich Roat, or someone on his team at House Industries. I like the pig’s tail on the end of the “n.”
    If correct, that wouldn't surprise me. It's a perfect logo designed by some of the best around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the good news is the Hampsten font on the older logo is called of all things "Andy Hampsten" by Mr. Paul Barnes. Paul has made quite a name for himself as well in the font business. You see his logos every day and just don't know it.
    It is a no-brainer choice as both are just perfect. I have them side by side and often debate if the black or the white, the piggy or the block? First world problems, I know. My first Hampsten Ti color was red and yellow. Haven't tried the blue. My little brain sometimes gets overloaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you also might have swayed me towards 9100 as a SRAM replacement on mine.
    I don't think you can go wrong, if you can find it these days. I've had bikes with Shimano 9000 since that came out and 9100 is the evolution. It's the best stuff I've used in my decades of riding and it's not close. No hesitation to recommend.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you've inspired me to put tanwalls on my spectrum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know what's up with the Hampsten website? I was going to do some browsing and it doesnt seem to want to load for me?

Just me and some firewall setting or is the site down?

http://www.hampsten.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Works for me on my iPad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, i just checked on my iPhone and can get in but get a "not secure" warning. neither of my browsers or computers will let me in. i bet hamco towers needs to update some security doo-dad there. thanks for checking @Mike V