Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hampsten / Tournesol

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    I've seen spinnakers that were more svelte than those massey fergusons that you have attached to those poor plastic mudguards. In my opinion, those mudguards are at risk of breakage once you get rolling with some velocity.
    These fenders are carbon, and have already proven themselves to be damn strong - but, after modifying both flaps yesterday and testing them today, I am prepared to concede that I do need to find a lighter alternative. Despite trimming the width of the rear one making quite a difference, it is still not enough. Much less waggling and chirping, but still far too much of both.

I'll probably buy a set of flaps from Raw or Buddy Flaps but I suspect they'll take a while to arrive, so I might order some material of some kind locally and make a set myself.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Look out for headwinds.
    Jeez, you're not wrong! Good training...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20210110_105143.jpg
    Updated a few bits. Deda bars, stem and seatpost. After about half hour of using these I'd decided to get the carbon versions at some point. The shape of the bars is perfect for me and I love the way the top of the seatpost looks compared to the PRO one I was using before.

Wheels are my old CXP33 on Dura ace, they aren't the best pair of wheels and I'm tempted to have the hubs laced to a new rim soon.

Tyres are GP5000 28mm and I hate to say they ride way nicer than Vitoria 25mm tubs.

So glad I didn't sell this bike. Now if I could just get the front to shift worth a damn, I'll be content.

At least until I start thinking about new groupsets.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need more info on that dark red bike above. Like full geometry spec, what model, etc. Just cuz it's near my size and, well, you never know...

PS. Didn't know GP5000 came in skinwall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team Pro from 2010, Pegorichie.

20210110_151055.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now (finally) wearing White Industries R30 cranks as originally intended:

I'm now contemplating DA9100 levers and mechs because I think they might work marginally better with the slightly questionable shift into the big ring that comes with these cranks, plus the black finish will better suit the look of the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, it looks great with those R30 cranks! Basically all you need now is some foul weather wheels and a lightweight mudflap for the front, I wouldn’t bother with the rear. I’m guessing this bike is mainly for solo rides, right?

I’d recommend riding it for a long period and give it time to really get used to the whole setup including the Seven fork. I’m loving the looks and feel of my Wound Up, but the Seven looks great too especially with those fenders.
    Whatever you do, don’t sell it. The SBti is such a practical-no-worries bike. I keep it fendered all year round with 28-30mm tires, ready to grab and go.

I’m gonna install a square taper 2005 Chorus CT 10sp groupset on mine, because I need the 11sp group for the Team Pro that I’m pulling out of the mothballs this spring.
    I think it’ll look nice with the silver Velo Orange calipers. (Ideally I’d love an extra Chorus 11speed groupset and black TRP RG957 calipers to go for an all-black theme, but I promised myself to go with what I have at hand).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by INDECS View Post
    Wow, it looks great with those R30 cranks! Basically all you need now is some foul weather wheels and a lightweight mudflap for the front, I wouldn’t bother with the rear. I’m guessing this bike is mainly for solo rides, right?

I’d recommend riding it for a long period and give it time to really get used to the whole setup including the Seven fork. I’m loving the looks and feel of my Wound Up, but the Seven looks great too especially with those fenders.
    Whatever you do, don’t sell it. The SBti is such a practical-no-worries bike. I keep it fendered all year round with 28-30mm tires, ready to grab and go.
    You do realize who you're talking to here, yes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Now (finally) wearing White Industries R30 cranks as originally intended

I'm now contemplating DA9100 levers and mechs because I think they might work marginally better with the slightly questionable shift into the big ring that comes with these cranks, plus the black finish will better suit the look of the bike.

That's a fantastic looking bike. Shame about the mudguards...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by INDECS View Post
    Wow, it looks great with those R30 cranks! Basically all you need now is some foul weather wheels and a lightweight mudflap for the front, I wouldnít bother with the rear. Iím guessing this bike is mainly for solo rides, right?

Iíd recommend riding it for a long period and give it time to really get used to the whole setup including the Seven fork. Iím loving the looks and feel of my Wound Up, but the Seven looks great too especially with those fenders.
    Whatever you do, donít sell it. The SBti is such a practical-no-worries bike. I keep it fendered all year round with 28-30mm tires, ready to grab and go.

Iím gonna install a square taper 2005 Chorus CT 10sp groupset on mine, because I need the 11sp group for the Team Pro that Iím pulling out of the mothballs this spring.
    I think itíll look nice with the silver Velo Orange calipers. (Ideally Iíd love an extra Chorus 11speed groupset and black TRP RG957 calipers to go for an all-black theme, but I promised myself to go with what I have at hand).
    Most of my riding is solo, but even for the rides with others they would rarely be in the rain. I'm in no hurry to resolve the flaps right now, but I do plan on putting some back on at some stage - the front definitely needs an extra bit to keep spray off of toes and BB, and I would probably put a rear one on just because; but the leather flaps definitely aren't the answer based on what I've learnt over the past week or so (and hence why they're no longer mounted).

I find myself reaching for this the most at the moment, regardless of weather. It's a lovely bike to ride, the fit is spot-on and I can't deny that I like seeing the double-takes that people do when they realise the setup

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    You do realize who you're talking to here, yes?
    Ha! Yes, my reputation precedes me...

However, for once I genuinely think I'd regret selling this, even if it were to go out of favour at some stage. It has already proven itself to be invaluable with regard to getting out - even if that just means going out when the roads are still wet in the morning Vs waiting for them to dry a bit more in the name of saving kit from getting filthy etc.

I've got some DA9100 parts coming which will really finish it nicely (the lever feel is ever-so-slightly nicer, I prefer the rear shadow derailleur design, and I suspect the front might shift slightly better with the R30 rings), but even if I were to strip it and rebuild it with 105 in future it'll be worth keeping this one hanging up rather than moving it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

{snip}
    I've got some DA9100 parts coming which will really finish it nicely... and I suspect the front might shift slightly better with the R30 rings...
    Front mech arrived today. I couldn't wait to get it onto the bike to test my theory - which was right, FWIW. The way the 9100 front mech is setup and adjusted means it now shifts very cleanly and easily on the VBC big ring. Very happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What front mech did it replace?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a DA9000 on it originally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Need more info on that dark red bike above. Like full geometry spec, what model, etc. Just cuz it's near my size and, well, you never know...

PS. Didn't know GP5000 came in skinwall.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. Looks like it was made for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I've got some DA9100 parts coming which will really finish it nicely...
    The DA9100 rear mech and levers arrived today (the front mech was installed last week) and I couldn't wait to get them on the bike. Whilst the cables were off, it was the perfect opportunity to stamp my own mark on this frame...

Ever since @happycampyer & I first started talking about me having this bike I knew that when it came to me I would change the Hampsten decals for the 'script' version. When I ordered them from Steve I couldn't decide whether to stick with white or risk black, so I ordered both.

Knowing that I'd have the opportunity to deal with them this week, I decided to see what I could do to help make my mind up over the weekend - cue downloading a pic of the SB Ti belonging to @INDECS and fiddling on Photoshop.

As soon as I tried the black it had to be done:

It's now wearing some old Spesh 'Anza' tape that I had from a previous build. It's kind of a grey canvas-like material. It's a *bitch* to wrap, but I think it suits the build well.

I also found one last decal from an order I placed with @Too Tall quite some time ago - it seemed to fit the bike quite nicely...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So good. No, perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rich, super nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This iteration is perfection. Thanks for sharing with us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the script logo is the one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hilarious timing, I was sitting at dinner (Hampsten propped up against the wall next to the dining table) telling my wife how much I prefer curved forks and the classic Hampsten logo.

However the black suits your bike perfectly. Good job, you also might have swayed me towards 9100 as a SRAM replacement on mine.