User Tag List

Page 110 of 116 FirstFirst ... 100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116 LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 2319

Thread: Hampsten / Tournesol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hampsten / Tournesol

Hampsta gone gangsta- new (to me) wheelset to match fork :)

before:
    IMG_2750.jpg

after:
    IMG_2758.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is easy a group of cinghiale is called encased meats or dinner for several. Got to love the pig, it smells like bacon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a busy week working on the website here at HampCo Towers so allow me to take a minute and bore you with the details:

Squadra (carbon) pictures finally up on the Gran Paradiso page Gran Paradiso – Hampsten Cycles

New model! We're joining the 21st century! It's got disc brakes! We're shameless whores! Il Mostro – Hampsten Cycles

And since I never get tired of looking at pictures of myself or of the fun things I do (void where prohibited by law, of course), we now have an Events page: Events – Hampsten Cycles (more to come here, as it happens, really)

And, sadly, two deletions: Oscar, our track model; and Il Carbonario, our Asia-sourced carbon frame. Neither have been selling as needed, we can always bust out a track frame if requested, people don't seem to come to me for pre-made carbon frames (go figure), and the photos will live on somewhere on the site. My nephew, Oscar, will be crushed (not literally, you understand).

And thanks to Ben Groenhout for his great photography on the three pages linked above; thanks as well to Martin Fernandez for his hard work on the website; and finally, thank you to all of my great customers and supporters - you folks rock.

image3.jpeg
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The site looks great and the bikes look even "mo betta" Steve!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are a long time coming. Sorry.

Been riding this for over a year now.

The (very long and very honest) story of how it came to be (from my perspective).

I have had a bunch of cool bikes. But I have always had this fantasy about having a custom steel bike made for me.

In early 2016, I was chasing a Strava PR on one of my mountain bikes. I zigged when I should have zagged. The resulting surgery on my wrist left me with a plate, several screws and two external fixators sticking out of my arm.

Since I’d be off the bike for a few months, I thought this would be a great opportunity to obsess over my own custom road bike. I had time to wait after all.

But here was the problem: Who would build my bike?

If I’m honest, my inner monologue sounded a lot like Rich the Roadie’s posts on this site: I wanted everything and nothing at the same time.

One day while sitting on my couch eating painkillers, I was on Richard Sachs’ old website browsing (and probably thinking of creative ways to get him to build me a bike – a poem maybe? Edible Arrangement?).

I happened upon a page that said, “Passing the Torch” or some such thing. It listed people and companies that Sachs seemed to think embodied the spirit he espoused with his frames. Maybe this was his attempt to be helpful to people like me – people for whom he’d never build a bike.

There were a bunch of names notably absent from the list (more on that later) but I did see Steve Hampsten’s name there. Hmmm. Hamspten bikes seemed familiar to me but I don’t think I could remember having ever seen one on group rides here in West LA where Colnago C60s are as common as Treks and people like to stand out.

Anyway, I continued my browsing and found a bunch of pictures of pretty steel bikes and this description for the Max on Steve’s website:

“ Maybe you’re a big guy who likes to sprint and is not afraid to grab a jersey or bump an elbow, you do ok on the short hills, better on crappy descents, recognize the value of the caffeine infusion. The spring classics are what get your blood pumping, full of rain, cobbled bergs, cow shit, and rabid fans. Ghent-Wevelgem, De Ronde van Vlaanderen, Parigi-Roubaix – now those are proper bike races!

Oooooh. “That’s me!” I thought as I surveyed my 6’3”, 195lb frame in the mirror, glanced at my ice hockey equipment bag in the corner and thought about how many years’ of the Spring Classics are still on my DVR.

I called Steve and started the conversation. I liked him instantly.

He responded to my questions with a combination of quick answers, patience and slight condescension that usually indicates a person who spends their days explaining things they know a huge amount about to people who know significantly less. I respect the hell out of it.

My problem was that I had fallen a little in love with the sexy branding you see from other custom outfits. With Hampsten, there’s no, Build Your Own function on the website. No slick “Order Kit”. Not even a glossy brochure. Jesus. Even the blog is old.

Nope. There’s just Steve on the other end of the phone – patiently answering questions and making thoughtful suggestions.

During one of our conversations (and there were many), I think I even went so far as to want to know who specifically would be welding my frame together since the internet said that HampCo’s welder had left to form his own brand.

As usual, Steve handled this demand with patience by asking me why I was concerned. I admitted I didn’t really know.

Embarrassed, I got to thinking.

We all know the story of Andy Hampsten’s Giro-winning bike: A Landshark that was made for Serrotta to be painted as a Huffy.

I also thought about how Pegoretti was reported to have balked as being called an artist and insisted he was, “just a blacksmith”.

I started to think about Speedvagen and their $12,000 bicycles and their unsubtle choice of shop van that was once used to transport vast sums of money to the bank.

I looked at some Instagram accounts for artisanal, bespoke bicycle / adventure / lifestyle brands that had more social media posts than filled orders.

I thought more about the names on Sachs’ list. And the ones that weren’t.

I then sent Steve my money.

The design brief for the bike was simple: Fit my (large) body and make me a stiff, racy bike for whatever Belgian Classic I fanaticize about riding whenever I’m out on the road.

I liked the look of the Pegoretti Falz fork and D11 headtube so I asked for those.

I also asked Steve to, “unbrand” the bike by adding Huffy decals to the 7-11 paintwork he sometimes does. He reluctantly agreed.

A few months later, a big box arrived.

I built the bike up with Dura Ace and Enve bars, stem and post. Wheels are Mavic Ksyrium Exalith Pro and while they don’t match the look of the bike, I love the way they ride.

It’s bang on 18 lbs as seen in the pictures.

On the road, it’s a race bike for sure. It’s very eager to turn in but once leaned over, it holds its line superbly. The ride is firm and solid with a slight spring to it (the magazines call this, “lively” I think). It’s not relaxing. It wants to be grabbed by the neck and muscled around.

It’s perfect.

Overall, the bike feels like a place where you can do good work suffering for hours at a time.

Beyond the obvious homage to Andy and Steve’s past the paint has also come to be a sort of reminder to the part of me that wanted a sexy name on the downtube that I should just shut up and ride the damn bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the look of that bike, but have to say I'd love it more if it said Hampsten on the downtube. Got everything about your desires except that detail. Hope you enjoy the hell out of that bike - it's a beaut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great write up and welcome to the family.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the party, pal!
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never change. Rad as fuck. Everything is perfect.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the Huffy, inspired!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love it, but ... got any green Vittorias laying around?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Love it, but ... got any green Vittorias laying around?
    ...or FMB Paris-Roubaix Pros...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll add this to the thread - custom Hampsten made straight bladed MAX fork for my 1998 Moots Vamoots:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gorgeous bike, but I'm surprised those Ti rails are still straight - felt like the Flite Ti I had back in the day would bend if I didn't have them dead-center, and even then sometimes I still had issues...

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painted the fork. Ti is a really hard color to match, though. This color is the Moots fork paint code. Painted by Hot Tubes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New-to-me LDV

The build:

- Hampsten La Dolce Vita
    - ENVE 1.0 fork
    - CK Sotto Voce headset
    - ‘14 Chorus 11, 34/50, 11/27
    - ‘14 Athena FD
    - Record hubs, Ambrosio rims, Vittoria Pave 24c tubulars
    - Deda Superzero post
    - SMP Forma saddle
    - Deda Trentacinque 130 stem
    - Deda M35 Carbon bars
    - Lizard Skins tape
    - Campy carbon cages
    - Duracci +4 pedals

It needs fatter rubber, but otherwise is pretty dang perfect as built.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the family. Care to share the dimensions?

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    Welcome to the family. Care to share the dimensions?

Mike
    B9141601-2746-4495-A4B9-2C77BF3979AB.jpeg

Here’s the original build sheet. My saddle height is ~82cm and I’ve got a 130mm stem on there now with 42cm bars, and just the 2.5mm spacer under it. I picked it up across the hall and believe I’m the third owner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White bikes are good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now with Shamal Ultra C17s. Loving the way this rides. Will be swapping out the M35 carbon bars and Trentacinque stem shortly for a Superleggero stem and 40c FSA Nano K-Force bar (my fave) to get a little more give up front. And will be trying 28c Vittoria G+ tires on there soon as they show up - hoping they'll fit under the fork with enough clearance.