Thread: Firefly Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Firefly Bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    What size tires are those and can you fit fenders?

44mm above, with fenders I guess 40mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THAT is SWEET!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My "50" bike....

Wanted to add to this thread.

I had this plan that when I turn 50, I would give myself a present. So saving for four years (because life gets in the way). This is what becomes of it. Sorry in advance about the photos not positioned correctly. Not used to this.

Firefly Custom Carbon Ti with ISP
    SRAM eTap with 52/36 front and 11-32 rear cassette
    Parlee fork (recommendation from Kevin Wolfson) because Enve doesn't make a 50 rake for caliper brakes
    EE brakes...I'm really impressed by the modulation of these brakes. Glad I got them when I decided to not go disc
    Brooks C13 saddle...for the looks, but fits well as my Fizik Arione that I have used for years
    KMC gold 11spd chain
    Jagwire gold housing for brakes
    Enve stem and compact bars
    Speedplay zero pedals
    Hed Belgium+ with Sapim CX-ray spokes and Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearings)
    Schwalbe Pro One 25mm (tubeless)
    Garmin Edge 520
    Spurcycle bell
    King ti cages

The whole Firefly crew were great to create this "50" bike for me. Exactly what I wanted. I have a '11 Speedvagen road, which I love. I wanted to copy the geometry, but have it in carbon/ti like my old '05 Serotta Ottrott. Kevin made this one better. Thanks Firefly for making this happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfection
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome! Enjoy!! Looking forward to a ride report and differences noted in ride compared with your SV.
    Tom Griesel

Current: 2018 Custom Speedvagen Road, Oasis Custom Cycles Lugged Reynolds 531 Retro/Modern Road, Fuji SL One.1, Custom Road Ericksen Ti, Vincent Steel Lugged Road (handbuilt by me), Specialized Limited Edition CruX Evo, Paul Taylor Custom Fixed Road, Jeff Jones Custom Space-frame, Bamboo single speed project

Incoming: Vincent #2

Wishlist: Pegoretti Responsorium or Love #3 (in 55 cm just in case you have one for sale!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rsa, that is awesome. Very similar to my TiCarbon Firefly, which I absolutely love. It's just about 2 years old...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do love your bike. I always like the look of twin stays. My Serotta Ottrott had a mono-stay. The Firefly is an updated version of my Ottrott. I will be having this for a LONG time. :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks TurboTom! I've had it for 2 months now. I asked to have twin stays because I like the looks of it as well as the looks of an ISP. I also wanted a T47 bb because I like threaded bottom brackets. I love the way my SV rides, but the FF gives it that extra stiffness that I always liked in my Ottrott. Accelerates, climbs and descends well. Kevin made minor changes from my SV. I think him designing many bikes in his days at IF and the FF's that he has done now. Yeah...I believe he knows what he's talking about. :0)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it an illusion or is the drive side seat stay slightly higher on the seat tube?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Griesel

Current: 2018 Custom Speedvagen Road, Oasis Custom Cycles Lugged Reynolds 531 Retro/Modern Road, Fuji SL One.1, Custom Road Ericksen Ti, Vincent Steel Lugged Road (handbuilt by me), Specialized Limited Edition CruX Evo, Paul Taylor Custom Fixed Road, Jeff Jones Custom Space-frame, Bamboo single speed project

Incoming: Vincent #2

Wishlist: Pegoretti Responsorium or Love #3 (in 55 cm just in case you have one for sale!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Tom. Just the angle I took it makes it look weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSA!!!! I am so happy for you!!! What a great bike. My firefly was my "42.5 year old" bike to myself and it's now 5 years old. I got all ti with the beefy chain stays and it's just as good now as it was when I picked it up 5 years ago. Kevin for sure knows what he is doing and the entire crew is awesome. Did you go to their shop? So awesome. I dropped off my then-record Campy and Kevin was like "Tyler is is welding your bike right now . . . . . want to see?"

I'll never forget. You're bike is awesome. I am happy for you. Here is my a pic of Tyler from that night . . . that's my bike . . . I just did an hour on kreitlers 3" rollers. I spewed sweat all over the place. Bike is perfect. Congrats.

IMG_4343

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firefly shop visits are the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I visited them just after I got to Boston. I chickened out and went with someone else for my first custom.

I should call Kevin and ask him when I need to get on the waiting list for my, cough, cough, 50th birthday bike...my "late 40s" spring time birthday is just around the corner so I need to start planning now for the 50th present to myself. And I just got off the phone with my 15 year old nephew because it is his birthday today - I was at the hospital when he was born - I have known his Mom (my sister in law) since she was in the 9th grade and my brother was in the 10th grade. Where does the time go?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Firefly shop visits are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
    RSA!!!! I am so happy for you!!! What a great bike. My firefly was my "42.5 year old" bike to myself and it's now 5 years old. I got all ti with the beefy chain stays and it's just as good now as it was when I picked it up 5 years ago. Kevin for sure knows what he is doing and the entire crew is awesome. Did you go to their shop? So awesome. I dropped off my then-record Campy and Kevin was like "Tyler is is welding your bike right now . . . . . want to see?"

I'll never forget. You're bike is awesome. I am happy for you. Here is my a pic of Tyler from that night . . . that's my bike . . . I just did an hour on kreitlers 3" rollers. I spewed sweat all over the place. Bike is perfect. Congrats.

IMG_4343

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I visited them just after I got to Boston. I chickened out and went with someone else for my first custom.

I should call Kevin and ask him when I need to get on the waiting list for my, cough, cough, 50th birthday bike...my "late 40s" spring time birthday is just around the corner so I need to start planning now for the 50th present to myself. And I just got off the phone with my 15 year old nephew because it is his birthday today - I was at the hospital when he was born - I have known his Mom (my sister in law) since she was in the 9th grade, my brother was in the 10th grade, and I was in the 11th grade. Where does the time go?
    do it quick man, waitlist is just growing :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@velomonkey.... Thanks for the kind words. I didn't go to Firefly, which I hope to sometime.... I emailed KevinW the geo of my Speedvagen and told him what I like about it. I also sent him video of me on SV which were on rollers (sitting, standing, drops, hoods, etc.). Kevin asked me to do minor changes (take off spacers from under my stem, move saddle forward 1cm...) and ride it for 2 weeks, then send video of the recommended fit. I also knew a person who had a fitcycle so we can replicate Kevin's recommendations. All I can say is Kevin KNOWS what the heck he is talking about. My FF rides better than my SV and alot better than my '05 Ottrott. Kevin also sent some pics to me of Jamie working on my bike (Flickr). I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Firefly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great looking build RSA, enjoy the ride and Happy 50th!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FF696 in the club!! I am in love with this frame

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Digging that seatpost collar!
    Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P2110379.jpg

Winterized - never realized how much I would appreciate well fitting fenders