Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefly Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Firefly Bicycles

Ooof. I would be riding that all day and all night upon delivery. Plans to de-logo those disk calipers and handlebars?
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone! Once I ride it (been sick since I picked it up), I'll write a report and detail my overall experience. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow morning for the inaugural ride. It is a beautiful bike and I'm looking forward to running up the odometer on this beast.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
    MDP: How did you arrive at the fit? There's more drop there than one usually sees in a monster cross machine. I've always been curious about this...never had a drop-bar dirt bike.
    Firefly (Kevin) measured me and we discussed the riding position during that time. It fits perfectly. A few years back I set up my Ted Wojcik similar to this style so I knew exactly where I wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Ooof. I would be riding that all day and all night upon delivery. Plans to de-logo those disk calipers and handlebars?
    My only plans right now are to ride it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

among other things
    that is the ultimate hill bombing machine

no worries about traction on anything remotely paved

enjoy dude!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it built for commuting? Touring? Racing? General silliness?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by that guy View Post
    Was it built for commuting? Touring? Racing? General silliness?
    All of the above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MDP, how is the ride? Mine is currently at my shop in Pittsburgh, and I am building the Rohloff wheelset. Pictures to follow of the 29er/monstercross.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MDP, that bike is rad.

/gkk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had this bike now for just over a month and am really enjoying it quite a bit. It's everything I expected.

Firefly products seems to be getting a lot of press and my bike was no exception. I have to say it was pretty cool seeing it posted up on Prolly is not Probably. Here's what he posted about my bike:

"In the time they've been around, Firefly has created some rather controversial bicycles and this MonsterCross has got to take the cake. The guys describe this beast as:

"A blend of spankin' new and N.O.S. vintage parts coupled with an aesthetic sensitivity to the era of the early 90's XC mountain bikes crossed with practical fit and modern amenities."

Yikes!"
    Here's another one I liked from the Culture Cycles blog:

"Wow! This is right up my alley – I never know what to expect from Firefly Bicycles! This ultra-fat tire’d bike elegantly mixes components of current and previous eras while sporting massive Hookworm tires, dirt drops and thumbies. This is the perfect platform for some of the 90′s finer bicycle components and it’s great to see the folks at Firefly continuing to push the boundaries…"
    Anyway, it was a hoot seeing is posted in a variety of places. My wife says it shouldn't matter but it was pretty cool seeing some of the buzz it created.

This bike was something I've been lusting over for the past few years. Back in 2008 I saw a photo of the Amaro Lollobrigida and just couldn't take my eyes off it. What caught my eye was the massive 2.5" Maxxis Hookworms tires. I thought they'd be perfect for an all-around type bike I had been craving. In 2009 I converted my Ted Wojcik to a drop bar D2R2 beast and slapped on some Hookworm tires and really liked it, but it just wasn't exactly what I wanted. I really wanted to have something designed specifically for me. His track bike geometry and drivetrain really weren't going to work for me , so I thought I'd get a dialogue going with Amaro. I e-mailed Amaro and discussed the possibility of having a custom Lollobrigida built for me but ended up dropping that effort because I really wanted to work with a local frame builder (as I always do).

I put my interest for this monster cross on the back burner and focused on other projects. I knew exactly what I wanted but just hadn't decided on who I wanted to build it. I wanted to work with an individual or small operation and Firefly came on the scene just as my interest in this project started to grow. My wife and I were in Austin this year for NAHBS and after attending the show I was ready to take the plunge. We ran into Tyler and crew outside the convention center and he gave my wife a key chain (which we still have) and that got me thinking about going with them. After seeing the projects they were posting, it became more clear that Firefly would be the builder of choice.

In early August I contacted Firefly about my project and Kevin invited me down to get the ball rolling. From the get go it was a pleasure to work with Firefly. I feel they were as genuinely excited about my project as I. Kevin measured me up and got the CAD completed and were we on our way. Initially I wanted down tube shifters but that was pretty quickly ruled out. Aside from this, most of the specs from the original CAD didn't change. Though whenever I had a question about my project, Kevin always got back quickly. Usually the same day.

My entire experience was entirely uneventful, just how I like it. Here are a few stories I'd like to share though:

1. When I went down to drop off all of the parts (they only needed the rear wheel, crankset & bottom bracket) it was just before they were heading out to lunch. They asked if I wanted to tag along and I thought that was very kind.

2. Tyler called me one afternoon regarding my custom stem. Jamie was halfway through the faceplate and thought it looked pretty cool with just the lower clamp. I said I was game but would love to see it so Tyler sent me a photo via his iPhone to mine. I really dug it and we went with it. It was this creative flow that they have as a team that really is pretty cool.

3. I opted to have Firefly build the bike up. I generally build my own bikes because I'm really, really picky. I had quite a few irreplaceable parts which would usually prompt me to do the job myself. With the experience these guys have, I trusted everything I was leaving with them was in good hands. When I got the call that my bike was ready for primetime, I made a bee line to the Firefly studio. When I arrived, Tyler was in the process of building the bike. I brought some local beer for the guys and was welcomed to watch as my bike was being completed. As you can tell by the photos, we did an amazing job. One thing that caught my eye was the cable routing he did for the derailleurs. He did this cool overlapping at the seat post. Very creative. Again, lots of attention to detail.

Like I said, Firefly is a wonderful team to work with and I'd definitely have them build me up another frame/fork. It was great being included on every step of the way, from the fitting all the way to the photo shoot. Speaking of which, Firefly provides a flash drive with all of the photos from photo shoot as well as photos taken through the build process. Pretty cool.

So how does it ride? It's extremely stable and handles like a slot car. I don't feel any flex in the rear (I'm only 140 lbs, though) and feel it's solid throughout. I've done rides as long as 45 miles and it's quite comfortable. Some people commented on the drop from the saddle to the bars but quite frankly, it's not all that much for my body. And that's what the bike was designed around. My wife even commented on one of our rides as to how upright I was (compared to my single speed road bike). I've only taken it on pavement but want to get some gravel and rolling single track in before the snow falls.

I started off with the Hookworms and wanted to also slap on some Schwalbe Super Moto 2.35s that I had in my man cave. They're only 630g versus the 1125g that the Hookworms weigh. When I was installing these I noticed the rear ENVE rim had a defect on the lip. It was peeling slightly away from the top about 3/4" wide & 1/2" long. I called ENVE and they're going to replace both with the latest and greatest tubeless ready version (of which mine are not). In the interim I put the Schwalbe tires on some wheels that have Speedway Cycles UMA 50mm rims and wow, do they look amazing. They ride pretty sweet too. I'll most likely keep these on and the ENVE for knobby tires. Anyway, for the most part it's a dream so far. I've been meeting a lot of people on this beast, too. On the roads and at cafes. Oh, and I know most folks are calling this a monster cross but I've been referring to it as an adventure bike. Really fits the bill!

That's it for now. Here's a photo I took yesterday:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
    Mine is currently at my shop in Pittsburgh, and I am building the Rohloff wheelset. Pictures to follow of the 29er/monstercross.
    Post some photos!!!! I'd love to see the final build.

Quote Originally Posted by gkk View Post
    MDP, that bike is rad.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't call him Mister Danger Pants for nothin'! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if I call Firefly and ask for the DangerPants model, will they knock one out for me? I love the Hookworms, but it seems you could easily run 650B NeoMotos or 700c cyclocross tires in that beast. What a cool execution of a great idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow that thing looks freakishly cool and must be a heckuva lotta fun to ride.

bravo! post some action shots!

is that a set of cook bros. cranks? if so they look brand new.

i'm digging this bike. very, very cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    So if I call Firefly and ask for the DangerPants model, will they knock one out for me? I love the Hookworms, but it seems you could easily run 650B NeoMotos or 700c cyclocross tires in that beast. What a cool execution of a great idea.
    Thanks! Well, I can't speak for Firefly but they were very good at producing exactly what I wanted. I gather if you inquired about getting something similar made, they'd be all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
    wow that thing looks freakishly cool and must be a heckuva lotta fun to ride. bravo! post some action shots! is that a set of cook bros. cranks? if so they look brand new. i'm digging this bike. very, very cool stuff.
    Again, thanks! Yes indeed, it's quite fun to ride. I generally don't take photos on rides but I'll try and get action shots from some 2012 events.

Yup, those are new old stock (NOS) Cook Bros. Racing RSR cranks. I posted the entire build in post #29 so check out the other early/mid-1990s parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MDP, when are we going to have a meeting of the FFs drop-bar all-purpose bikes? I am in Boston every few weeks and will bring the new whip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjahx View Post
    MDP, when are we going to have a meeting of the FFs drop-bar all-purpose bikes? I am in Boston every few weeks and will bring the new whip.
    I'm down with an urban adventure, possibly down to the Firefly studios. Once I get my new wheels built up I'll be good to go! Definitely in the new year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I haven't checked this thread for a while, and that fat tired beast looks truly awesome and fun! Cool idea and excellent execution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

echo the other comments, looks awesome. Def. post some ride pix when you have...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ready for winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)