Thread: Eddy Merckx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Eddy Merckx

Quote Originally Posted by seanile View Post
    hmm. i thought the threading was the same and it was the seat for the crown race that varied. or is that a separate issue of jis vs iso?

edit: this was my general supposition. the crown racer taper was iso on my merckx.
    I think ISO and BSC are the same when it comes to headsets. I've put an Italian threaded HS on English threads...it works fine, but you have to work the threaded cup back and forth when first installing it because the ITA threads are cut at a different angle. From the VO Blog:
    Italian headsets are virtually the same as ISO. The crown race ID is 26.5mm rather than 26.4mm and the threads are a tiny bit different, but ISO headsets are so close that they work absolutely perfectly on Italian frames.
    JIS headsets are a different animal entirely.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others said, I'd make sure the drop-outs parallel at whatever the clamping distance will be (prolly 130mm), otherwise the axle gets bowed when cinching down the QR to appropriate tightness for those sloping drop-outs and can eventually bend permanently or break. Although, the breaking of the axles is perhaps less likely with modern hubs... but this could cause the frame to break at the stay near the drop-out.

Artie

Default Re: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Team Motorola - 15.9 lbs

I hope defspace get this sorted out, I'm, looking forward to some pictures of that build.
    Glanced over at my EM on the hook next to my computer and decided to take a snapshot.
    It's by no means a "holy grail" Merckx, but it's so much fun to ride. My go-to for fast days for sure.

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. Sounds like Italian BB and English/ISO headsets. Simple enough.

It'll be a while before this gets built up. I just broke my collarbone, so no riding or wrenching for a while.

I suppose this gives me lots of time to fantasize about the group/wheels. Campagnolo seems the obvious choice.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Campagnolo and Shimano 9s cassette spacing are close enough that they're compatible. Is that correct? It'd be nice to be able to use my existing wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's taken me about a year to get all the parts and build this up - NOS Merckx Premium frameset from 2004, built up with unused Nucleon tubular wheels and a NOS 10spd Centaur groupset with Mavic SSC brakes.

Steerer will be cut once I'm wholly confident everything is in the right place...

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonC View Post
    It's taken me about a year to get all the parts and build this up - NOS Merckx Premium frameset from 2004, built up with unused Nucleon tubular wheels and a NOS 10spd Centaur groupset with Mavic SSC brakes.

Steerer will be cut once I'm wholly confident everything is in the right place...

drool-worthy -- and NOS Nucleons -- perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_0074[1].jpg

Merckx MXL, Athena 11speed.

Artie

I took my old Aluminum Merckx out on the Sunday fast ride and it is a rocket.
    Ridiculous acceleration. I love that bike. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figured this might be up some people's alley. Now deceased when I was rear-ended with it on my rack. The insurance money is funding my Gaulzetti. Figured it's a proper successor in spirit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With regards to the 126 to 130 spacing, I have a stack of old magazines from the 80's with articles about Shimano's new (at the time) 8 speed cassette and the move to 130 mm. At the time there were no frames with 130 spacing so Shimano designed the first 130 mm Dura Ace hub with convex washer so that when you pulled the wheel back into the dropouts of a standard frame the washers automatically spread the rear triangle 2 mm on each side. I have multiple old steel frames. Some I cold set to 130 and some I just left at 126 and I just push the wheel into the dropouts. After 10+years I have never had an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Eddy Merckx Motorola Neo

I have an old beat up team bike from Frankie Andreu with Dura Ace 8 speed etc that doesn't really fit so after much hemming and hawing I pulled the trigger on this NOS Motorola Anniversary frame, No. 51 of 100. As almost every one of these that I see is dressed up with traditional livery I decided to do something a bit different. I stuck with Dura Ace as a tribute to the team bikes but then added a little more color. And as the seat tube wouldn't hold a 27.2 post we had to ream it to 27.4. limiting available seat posts. That and the excessive layback of the frame lead to Thomson. Undoubtably not everyone's idea of what a Merckx in Motorola colors should look like, but I rather like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EM Leader.jpg

Merckx Leader.
    This is somewhat of a blue collar relative to the Team SC, being built out of Easton Elite aluminium tubes rather than Scandium.
    Still a smooth and solid ride, and in this size, plenty stiff enough.
    It was an opportunistic purchase, currently with a parts bin build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I have an MX Leader frameset inbound, and this time I'm not going to make the mistake of selling it.

However, I'm having trouble deciding on how to build it up:

Groupset

i. Full retro Chorus or Record alloy 9 speed
    ii. Semi-retro 10 speed groupset with carbon accents (e.g. my Merckx Premium has 10s Centaur)
    iii. Semi-retro 11 speed silver Athena
    iv. Full modern 11 speed carbon Record

Wheels

I have a pair of excellent condition Neutron tubulars hanging in the shed, or a pair of Hyperon clinchers. Or I could get some handbuilts - I sold a pair of handbuilt Nemesis to a friend who's not using them, although at the risk of bringing ire upon myself I felt they were a little overbuilt.

Finishing kit

I'll probably go with a silver stem / bar / seatpost (Cinelli Grammo / 3T Morphe / Campagnolo) but if I'm going with the full modern option does that look odd?

Artie

I was going to say all modern carbon but you have
    that sweet chrome chain stay. Silver 11 speed group
    with black saddle and bar tape. Campy wheels with black wall
    tires will look nasty. Retro modern hard man bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonC View Post
    I'm having trouble deciding on how to build it up:

Groupset
    Full modern 11 speed carbon Record with 5-arm crank (not the 'new-new' 4-arm style)

Wheels
    Hyperon clinchers.

Finishing kit
    I'll probably go with a silver stem / bar / seatpost (Cinelli Grammo / 3T Morphe / Campagnolo)
    Bingo.

I wouldn't normally choose the clinchers out of that wheelset, but I think you'll appreciate the lower weight and they'll match the groupset.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I built my MX Leader with a black cockpit and Shimano 11 speed Dura-Ace 9000/Ultegra 6800 group. Highly recommend getting the latest and greatest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Team SC, modern build w/ 6800, Shamal, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So pro. Can't go wrong with the gum walls and white tape. looks fast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey, new to the forum. This is my recently built (not quite done) Merckx. 1986 Strada, and I'm the second owner.

LzzKbLih.jpg

9UwzaR1h.jpg