Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Della Santa

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Della Santa

"than the eyes show" -- I mean, "than the pictures show." What I get for typing out a message while trying to keep my balance on the bus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by day-vee View Post
    Just got this last week. It's beautifully made and rides like a dream. I doubt the lilac will be to everyone's taste -- I don't think Roland liked it all that much -- but I love it.
    I don't think Roland is wrong about too many things, but the color of your frame is one of them.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I don't think Roland is wrong about too many things, but the color of your frame is one of them.
    He said something about it making his eyes hurt, which, coming from someone who is usually pretty understated, was damning and hilarious. He quickly followed by saying that he likes the color that the customer likes.

Embarrassingly and ungratefully, I forgot to mention that Kirk Pacenti was a huge help in getting the fit and design for this bike dialed in. People familiar with Roland know that he needs certain frame dimensions to start with. I sent Kirk measurements, and he did a great job of figuring out how I needed to be positioned on the bike to resolve some issues I'd been having. Working with him was a delight. Thank you, Kirk!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking at the photograph, I can see his point, but a classy bike it is nevertheless

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

digging on that lilac!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by day-vee View Post
    He said something about it making his eyes hurt, which, coming from someone who is usually pretty understated, was damning and hilarious. He quickly followed by saying that he likes the color that the customer likes.

Embarrassingly and ungratefully, I forgot to mention that Kirk Pacenti was a huge help in getting the fit and design for this bike dialed in. People familiar with Roland know that he needs certain frame dimensions to start with. I sent Kirk measurements, and he did a great job of figuring out how I needed to be positioned on the bike to resolve some issues I'd been having. Working with him was a delight. Thank you, Kirk!
    I don't think it is the paint color, but rather that there is no outline around the yellow script on the DT. That is a little jarring, but I like that it makes you study the frame a bit to be able to read it. Draws your eye right in.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this photo of a modified chainstay on a Masi site today and they reminded me of Flash's Della Santa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roland told me when I ordered my frame the Masis were his inspiration. But, in his words, he wanted something that wouldn't crack. Guess those had a propensity for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit of a downer here for my first post. Here's what's left of my Della Santa, which I just received this week after buying on ebay, basically sold as N.O.S. I did get the shipment insured, and now I'm going to shops to get damage assessments and/or quotes... but getting a quote for a replacement on a handbuilt bicycle is not all that easy, I've discovered. Was such a beautful thing.

Is Roland still building new frames?

fork_damage.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box up what is left of it and ship it to Roland. He can tell you what it will take to sort it out.

Just the fork or frame damage too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Box up what is left of it and ship it to Roland. He can tell you what it will take to sort it out.

Just the fork or frame damage too?
    There is some damage to the frame, but I'm getting a few opinions on how bad it is. The first shop found the alignment to be off, and found a dent in the top tube which I hadn't noticed. There is damage to the paint on the chainstays, with exposed steel, and a paint chip on the underside of the down tube. If the frame is salvageable, it seems like it would require a repaint (or touch up at least), in addition to a new fork and cost of de-assembly and re-assembly. I've got a pretty well-known shop looking at it now, to get a second opinion, in order to satisfy the insurance requirements. The Chris King headset seems to be fine, but that's no surprise.

I'm trying to get in touch with Roland to get his advice, but the only contact info I have is the form on his website.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a phone number for him that I'll PM you. Its easiest way to get ahold of him.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my entire career I have never seen shipping damage that excessive atmo. I'd be interested in knowing how you get made whole, and by whom. If it were me, I'd write off the parcel as totaled. Any impact that can do that do a fork will certainly leave stress risers in the rest of the frame. My condolences.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me guess....this is the expert work of none other then UPS? Best of luck with the repair

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kpm..,
    --- my smile that you were not on the bike when damage encountered..
    a frame can be repaired or replaced.., you can't..

keep in touch & welcome..,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eddymerckx3 View Post
    Let me guess....this is the expert work of none other then UPS? Best of luck with the repair
    Fedex, actually. I've shipped and received my fair share of bikes, and it always makes me nervous. At least now I know I'm not paranoid.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'll post back here when this gets resolved, hopefully with more pleasant photos. In the meantime, I will lurk in the classifieds....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heartbreaking. I had been watching that on ebay. Was a beautiful bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better pics of my son's Della Santa coming soon.

Grady Linehan

Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gomango View Post
    Better pics of my son's Della Santa coming soon.

Grady...will you please post some decent pics of that DS? I've been waiting too long...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbh View Post
    heartbreaking. I had been watching that on ebay. Was a beautiful bike.
    Damn that sucks. I guess if I order a Della Santa, I'll drive to Reno and pick it up rather than leave it to shipping gremlins. Recently, I received a frame in a box that had a huge hole in the middle. Luckily, the hole was smack in the middle of the front triangle and the tubes were untouched.