Thread: Dario Pegoretti

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dario Pegoretti

Could someone explain to me the difference in the tubing used in the MxxxxO vs the Duende models? On the Peg website, the MxxxxO is described as having heat-treated Niobium Spirit tubing, and the Duende as having Niobium Spirit tubing without the heat treatment. Yet on the Columbus website, all Niobium tubing is described as being heat-treated. What am I missing? Is one Spirit tubing and the other Life tubing, though the Peg website doesn't say that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,

I ride a Colnago Super with a modern setup (Campy 11 Record, Neutron Ultra wheels, 3T carbon accesories) . But I can't pass over this thing that has got into me for a Marcelo .

I am 1.92 93 kilos and the Colnago is a bit sluggish in accelerations, but no compaints its a sweet ride.

What is the difference in the ride quality with a Marcello ?

Worths the investment? Well it does ... if money is not irrelevant. But is the investment really gives u a significantly greater ride ?

Maybe climb better, faster accelerations, keep speed easier.

Thanx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is really cool, imo. actually reminds me quite a bit of the 'guantanamo' theme, but i like it even more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashwa64 View Post
    this is really cool, imo. actually reminds me quite a bit of the 'guantanamo' theme, but i like it even more.
    Yeah, like it way more than the Guantanamo theme. Is it just a one-off, though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assume some folks have seen these videos, but I believe they are relatively new and wanted to draw others' attention to them ...

"Ciavete; Dream On" = https://dariopegoretti.com/emil-luka...eid=e8aa04b282

"Living Color" = https://dariopegoretti.com/emil-luka...eid=e8aa04b282
    Last edited by wgp; 1 Week Ago at 07:05 PM. Reason: whoops ashwa64 beat me to it with Living Color link above!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It reminds me of the old Trek 8000 (bonded) aluminium seires, with that "marble" effect. But this is the next level.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Could someone explain to me the difference in the tubing used in the MxxxxO vs the Duende models? On the Peg website, the MxxxxO is described as having heat-treated Niobium Spirit tubing, and the Duende as having Niobium Spirit tubing without the heat treatment. Yet on the Columbus website, all Niobium tubing is described as being heat-treated. What am I missing? Is one Spirit tubing and the other Life tubing, though the Peg website doesn't say that?
    Oh, I believe the old man would have some cunning words to make you NOT think about it. Dario was a close friend of Columbus tubing, and he was very picky about all the materials involved in the frame, that included anything from dropouts to rod fillers and cable stops.
    In a nutshell, all that tubing is custom done for Dario and whether is heat-treated or not, it's a part of the process that he conceived. You only have to ride the bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gattonero View Post
    you only have to ride the bike
    ding ding ding!!!
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    ...You only have to ride the bike
    If only it were that easy! There isn't a Peg in my size within 1000km to throw a leg over. Have seen a few frames in Boston; frames only, and too small for me. Otherwise, I think BiKyle in Philly is the closest dealer, and who knows what they have built up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Grillo?

Anybody know what Pegoretti model seller has here? Calls it a Grillo, but it kinda looks like an MxxxO. Maybe Grillo is the paint scheme? A wee bit pricey... https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Pegore...8AAOSwWBJfvCJ2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is so damn sweet. I like it better than the Gitmo paint for sure.
    Dan in Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Grillo?

Anybody know what Pegoretti model seller has here? Calls it a Grillo, but it kinda looks like an MxxxO. Maybe Grillo is the paint scheme? A wee bit pricey... https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Pegore...8AAOSwWBJfvCJ2

Said this ATH, but I'm pretty certain that's an MxxxxxO. Seller confirmed it's a 59. I'd be very tempted at a lower price - have been on a bit of a tear recently though and have to reign it in..
    Dan in Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seller also listing a Respo in 59cm as well - both prices are way off IMO. But if you want a Peg, they don't come along that often. And you Thomas have been looking for a long time for a 59cm Peg, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point of information: https://lakeside-bikes.squarespace.com/ in Lake Oswego, OR (outside Portland) has a couple new 59cm MxxxxxO frames in stock, plus a few others within range. Would be retail price but if you want it, and want it new, that's where it's at.
    Dan in Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wgp View Post
    ... And you Thomas have been looking for a long time for a 59cm Peg, right?
    Yes, I have, good memory. And this seller is within driving distance, actually near my mother-in-law's residence outside Boston. But at the asking price, I just can't see it. I could get a new Duende for less than half of that price. The Grillo paint, though, is new to me. Never seen that anywhere before, and it looks pretty good. But still...$7500? Data point: there was a sublime Ciavete Responsorium that sold on the Bay for $4600 and change a month or so ago. Think it was a 60cm, full Campy kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegoretti-R...p2047675.l2557 So these two listed now are almost $3K over that one.

Clean, thanks for the heads-up on Lakeside. My bro-in-law used to live in the same town (hmm, see a pattern here). Not crazy about the two paint schemes (colourways to some) on those, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I have, good memory. And this seller is within driving distance, actually near my mother-in-law's residence outside Boston. But at the asking price, I just can't see it. I could get a new Duende for less than half of that price. The Grillo paint, though, is new to me. Never seen that anywhere before, and it looks pretty good. But still...$7500? Data point: there was a sublime Ciavete Responsorium that sold on the Bay for $4600 and change a month or so ago. Think it was a 60cm, full Campy kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegoretti-R...p2047675.l2557 So these two listed now are almost $3K over that one.

Clean, thanks for the heads-up on Lakeside. My bro-in-law used to live in the same town (hmm, see a pattern here). Not crazy about the two paint schemes (colourways to some) on those, unfortunately.
    This Respo is newer - note the DT stops - and in better condition overall it looks. Same with the MXXXXXO

But I tend to agree. If you say $3K for the frameset on the MXXXXXO, $1250 for the groupset, $1250 for the wheels, $500 for the finish kit, which is being generous, you're still just at $6K. And the parts are worth less on the Respo. The seller does have a "make offer" button though, so presumably if they want to get it sold, they'll consider a lower price. If you really like the paint on either though, a bird in the hand and getting to eat it may make more sense than an eternal hunt and a growling belly. If you put 10K miles on it over the next few years, $1K +/- amortizes out pretty quickly.
    Dan in Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I have, good memory.
    We are the same size, and I remember when I bought my 59cm Marcelo here from mistermo literally a week before Dario died, you'd commented on your looking for one. I'd still like to find a Respo, but at that price, no thanks ...
    And as Dan said, if you have it for years, with the pleasure it brings, who really cares if you spent an extra thousand (or two!)? That, at least, was my rationale when I bought my Parlee Z1 frame - I'd been looking for years and though I overpaid a bit, I figured I'd have the bike for literally years ... Plus, now that you have a Z1 yourself, you need to add a Peg, right?
    Maybe we can coordinate better our purchases and share a few more coveted bikes? I'm always looking for a Sachs! Alternating years between us, maybe ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The (thinner) seatstays make me think of a Responsorium.
    And don't get offended, but call someone that will look after your back posture/flexibility: that bike has been defaced with those bars so high, making it like a Dutch bike is not going to sort out body problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    The (thinner) seatstays make me think of a Responsorium.
    And don't get offended, but call someone that will look after your back posture/flexibility: that bike has been defaced with those bars so high, making it like a Dutch bike is not going to sort out body problems.
    Not my bike. Don't know who the seller is. Looks like a consignment via ATA Cycles. But yeah, awfully high setup for the bars.

I asked the seller and he said the Grillo frame is a Marcelo. But really, who knows? I don't see anything in the photos that ID it as a MxxxxO, and that model and Respo both use same hooded rear dropouts. If it was a Responsorium, that would be really 'interesting.'