Thread: Dario Pegoretti

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dario Pegoretti

guys-
    if any of you are looking for Pegorettis- we've still got a few that Dario had a hand in- if that's important to you. (It kinda was to me- so I finally actually bought my Guantanomo painted Duende. It's an older frame- pre D11 headset but I did put a Falz fork on it and I truly love that bike.)

I've got a 56cm Marcelo in the CONN Rust paint scheme. It's really different and really cool and it makes me laugh because it is SO Dario. The finish is rough almost like bed liner- and it's a cool matte brass color with some cool yellow and purple stripes. The "paint" is what Italian road crews use to mark roads and signs when they need the paint to last. Dario used it on a handful of Marcelos in response to people bitching about the longevity and fragility of his paint jobs.

We also have a 56 Duende in a great Champagne color with Orange panels.

Both these bikes come with King D11 headsets and Falz forks.

We also have access to a bunch of the "new" Pegorettis. Pietro and the crew chose some pretty cool paint schemes to offer the US market for this first round. I've attached the PDF here. The Marcelos in that Blue Opaque are in stock at Gita, Pegoretti's North American Distributor so we can get you pretty much any size you need ASAP. The Ivory Duendes look amazing in real life- and they should be showing up shortly. We've got 54, 55, and 56 now although more are on their way! Reponsoriums should be showing up soon too.

Pegoretti is blasting through custom orders quickly. If you want something special or different from what's available now- let me know. If you're interested in getting a complete Pegoretti from us- we'd love to help! We are actually Campagnolo North America's biggest customer so we have access to all the latest stuff first and our pricing is very competitive. One think I'd urge anyone interested in a Pegoretti (or a Seven or a Gaulzetti or a Mondraker) to do is to take us up on our offer to put you up at the Lodge at Torrey Pines for a night or two- demo some bikes out here, get fitted by me- and we'll send you home and send you your new bike shortly thereafter. The riding here is great, we've got over 25 fancy hand made bikes to look at and ride, and the Lodge at Torrey Pines is quite possibky the nicest hotel in California.

So get a Pegoretti.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a super deal. Great lodging and just about the best (the best?) bikes available, plus some pretty good riding to be had.

If I didn't already live in San Diego, I'd take them up on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short video about the fellows in the shop...

Inside the Bottega | Dario Pegoretti
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to a local club mate, this is now my daily driver:

(More pics here)

A third-hand 2013 MxxxxxO in Conn Rust wearing 12-speed Super Record and a set of older Bora 50s (CULT, but not Ultra). It hasn’t been a garage queen, but the Conn Rust paint hides marks very well; and the main thing is that it’s straight and there are no dents.

I had a Duende previously (circa 2011) and I wasn’t entirely keen. Back then I probably should have got the Ciavete Marcelo I really wanted to buy. Today, if I’m honest, a Duende would probably be perfectly good enough for me but, thankfully, this MxxxxxO isn’t anywhere near as harsh as I feared it might be, despite only having room for 25s.

This is intended to be as much of a ‘keeper’ as I have ever owned. We’ll see how that goes with my track record, but I don't have the time for constant bike swaps these days (or access to the discounts I’ve had previously). The only risk to that is that this is a 57 and I really should be on a 56. It works - just - but there’s a *very* slim chance I might bite the bullet and grab a Dario-era 56cm Duende or MxxxxxO from one of the few places that still have them at some stage (which may also mean v2 Falz fork and therefore room for 28s). I'll need a windfall first, though...

I specifically sought out older Boras to get ones with removable decals. The Campagnolo logo on them is the sticker that Campag use to seal their component boxes, which works really well. I want WTO Boras, but I can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money on notably heavier wheels; and I’d rather stick with tubulars for now - plus these are still up there with the best wheels I’ve ridden despite being ‘old tech’.

The PMP post is an excuse to finally use a component I have always wanted but never quite seemed right for any of my previous bikes. The Paul Comp Boxcar stem is a really nicely finished component that makes a nice change from most others; although it is bordering on being too bulky for the bike aesthetically.

Overall I think it is one of the best looking bikes I’ve had; and it’s definitely right up there in terms of enjoyment to ride too. Hopefully I can stick to my guns and make this a keeper - unless that windfall does miraculously happen, that is!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated photo, now sporting WR Compositi seatpost and Fizik stem. Bike is "done," though I may migrate Campy 11sp gruppo to it if I successfully sell my RSL ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread makes me wish I had purchased a Pegoretti years and years ago!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Overall I think it is one of the best looking bikes I’ve had; and it’s definitely right up there in terms of enjoyment to ride too. Hopefully I can stick to my guns and make this a keeper - unless that windfall does miraculously happen, that is![/QUOTE]

Now for sale??!

A review of compulsive buying disorder

If You're Not Happy with What You Have, You Might Never be Happy | Cleverism

Don't take this too seriously..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could not have a Pegoretti. Everytime i would look at the bike i would be sad because Dario is not with us anymore.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmuthariley View Post
    Ha! Well neither of those links are relevant, but thanks for the laugh!

Potentially for sale, yes - I have a fairly strict two bike policy at home and another bike wasn’t selling. It made more sense to put this up for sale than to keep dropping the price of the other. Actually the other bike did then sell, but by then I’d already accepted the idea of selling this, soI’m still open to it going.

I’m also having the Woody adjusted to run mechanical gears, and I can’t sell that as it’s not truly mine, so that ticks the ‘keeper’ box.

Sure, this wasn’t the plan, but it’s just a bike at the end of the day, despite all the romantic notions surrounding them. I really like it, but others still intrigue me enough to be ok with moving on. Equally, though, I won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t sell and I do end up keeping it.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of how nicely the Marcelo rides, is it? I think for many of us non-owners, a Peg is something beyond a bike frame, but once the acquisition happens, it becomes just a bike in the stable and the magic wears off. I am surprised how quickly RtR seems to lose interest in his Pegs. The Duende also lasted a month or so, IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    ^^ That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of how nicely the Marcelo rides, is it?
    As I said, it is "up there" in terms of being in the short list of bikes I've owned - I'm just not completely blown away by it. It is better than I remember my Duende being, although that was some time ago now; and, again, as mentioned, a Duende would probably be better suited to me these days anyway.

I think for many of us non-owners, a Peg is something beyond a bike frame, but once the acquisition happens, it becomes just a bike in the stable and the magic wears off.
    I do wonder if I would feel differently had I have interacted with Dario and his team, rather than just buying the bike - and I suspect I would as there might be more of a connection to it than just being 'a bike'. Would that stop me selling it? I'm not sure.

I am surprised how quickly RtR seems to lose interest in his Pegs. The Duende also lasted a month or so, IIRC.
    It's not just the Pegs - this is just what I do with bikes. At the last count I'm up to 48 bikes that I have personally owned since 2003. I'm ok with that and so is my wife (as long as there's only 2 bikes in the garage) so frankly I don't care if anyone else thinks I'm a dick for doing it!

As much as I had high hopes of having a 'keeper' it looks like I'm perhaps not quite capable; and, consequently, there's a damn good chance I'll hit 60 bikes before my 50th birthday in 2028. In fact that might have just become a target...

As for the Duende specifically, if I'm honest looking back, I think there was more to it than just the ride - I wanted it to have Campag and Hyperons, but I couldn't afford to do that at the time. I suspect I talked myself out of it because it wasn't the *overall* bike I wanted it to be, and I couldn't wait for it to become that.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice reply, Rich. No criticism intended in my comments, just observations. I pay attention to people's reactions to their Pegs to try to get a handle on how much I might like one or not. They're not cheap and used ones don't come along too often. The paint jobs are sometimes so seductive that it's almost like collecting artwork instead of buying a bike. Hard to not be emotional about it. My reactions to owning one might mirror yours, in that it will be up there with being a nice ride, but not sure if it would actually feel better than some of the ti bikes I have, or even the MXL Merckx in the stable, which is a wonderful steel ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me it was a big deal to get this Responsorium... I have it 6 years now and it still means a lot to me.
    Giving it a Record 12 speed upgrade before the end of the year because it deserves it. So here the love is as strong as day 1...

. K R I S T O F . D ' H A E S E L E E R .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    I could not have a Pegoretti. Everytime i would look at the bike i would be sad because Dario is not with us anymore.
    Life can be made full of memories form the past, it's up to us what to make of them.

One of his bikes stays in the living room, in fact is the first one out, but it's not the bike that would make me sad about Dario. He's given all he wanted, and has been a lot.
    I will always cherish the memories of what we said, and all that we did not say. His custom frame is part of this, his "stock" frame reminds me of other things, they are both part of a book that has ended but we can always learn something from.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Life can be made full of memories form the past, it's up to us what to make of them.

One of his bikes stays in the living room, in fact is the first one out, but it's not the bike that would make me sad about Dario. He's given all he wanted, and has been a lot.
    I will always cherish the memories of what we said, and all that we did not say. His custom frame is part of this, his "stock" frame reminds me of other things, they are both part of a book that has ended but we can always learn something from.
    Nicely said Gattonero - When I ride my Marcelo it feels like a celebration, and seems to evoke similar reactions of appreciation from those around whenever I show up on it for a group/shop ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New frame model from the Pegoretti shop...Round.

The Missing Frame | Dario Pegoretti

rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    New frame model from the Pegoretti shop...Round.

The Missing Frame | Dario Pegoretti

"Round" was Dario's user name here:

round.jpg
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep...I knew that and I still think that the name is great.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A notebook for you Peg lovers...

Pegoretti - Rouleur Notebook – Rouleur Emporium
    rw saunders
    everything is connected