Thread: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Quote Originally Posted by doctor855 View Post
    I can't use Lightroom with my cameras RAW format (Powershot s110) I read somewhere that you can go into the file and change the code to say "s100"..anyone with any experience?
    Hopefully the update will be out soon.
    RAW support for the S110 came with Adobe Camera Raw 7.3. All you need to do is go and update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. I did see that..almost right after I posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Any reviews on the Olympus body cap lens?
    Have not used it nearly enough but for shooting outside in decent light (like most bike rides) it is great. I like what it did to the shrubbery in these shots (unprocessed jpegs, except for resizing, right from the camera). I think these are at like ISO 1000, which I'm sure adds to the effect. Approved for on-the-bike use!

Some more at slower ISO, IIRC (also unprocessed):

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Workflow help needed (apologies if this is too basic a question...)

New camera- Olympus EPM2. Currently set up to capture RAW+JPEG.

How do I best go about post processing, assuming the following:

I prefer to use Aperture 3 for post processing, file mgmt etc. However- my Mac cannot update to the latest version of Aperture which handles RAW for this camera due to age*
    I have available Adobe DNG Converter, Olympus Viewer, and a card reader- any suggestions on what's my best bet on getting the RAW files off the camera and processing them?
    Sorry if this is basic, but I figure if I'm going to take full advantage of my new camera I'd better utilize its RAW capabilities and get familiar with it.

* Don't tell me to buy a new Mac- that's coming within a year, thanksverymuch.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    Every once in awhile I get one great picture- the light was just right.

Great pic. That at Mianus? Great photo of Reba!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    Great pic. That at Mianus? Great photo of Reba!
    It is le Grand Bleu- on the depew side of the park.

How do you know her? I will say hello for you.

Just actually got this picture developed at Adorama- it came out pretty good. I wish I was a little more consistent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer to use Aperture 3 for post processing, file mgmt etc. However- my Mac cannot update to the latest version of Aperture which handles RAW for this camera due to age*
    I have available Adobe DNG Converter, Olympus Viewer, and a card reader- any suggestions on what's my best bet on getting the RAW files off the camera and processing them?
    Sorry if this is basic, but I figure if I'm going to take full advantage of my new camera I'd better utilize its RAW capabilities and get familiar with it.

verdict on the E-PM2: great photos, just too small, the viewfinder is a bit kludgy, and not enough manual control. it's going back and I ordered a refurb'd OMD with 14-42 lens
    shoulda just listened to Cody in the first place!
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    It is le Grand Bleu- on the depew side of the park.

How do you know her? I will say hello for you.

Just actually got this picture developed at Adorama- it came out pretty good. I wish I was a little more consistent.
    I used to work at Hickory and Tweed.
    -Jacob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

verdict on the E-PM2: great photos, just too small, the viewfinder is a bit kludgy, and not enough manual control. it's going back and I ordered a refurb'd OMD with 14-42 lens
    Learning the ropes.

Trying out the 15/f8 lens on a frigid beach.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this is nice photogrpahs i like this i just want to say here that durig to the Cycling race the photogrpahers are running or they are on a bike for make te photoshoots and this si not a easy job but this is very tough to take this type photos because you should be still your camera and strickely hang with your hand and set the focus and every thing so i appreciate to the photographers to make this photos...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Realize you have returned the EPM2, but there is a pretty decent RAW convertor written by a guy who seems to do a good job with his software. I used it for a while before I got everything set up on a new computer that didn't get choked by new software. It is a bit fiddly (though that may have improved since I used it,) but as long as you are converting RAW files to a usable form (I would suggest Adobe DNG in this case) so you can edit them in another program, all you need deal with is the conversion. It has been a while since I used the program, but I remember that you could output the DNG file without losing the RAW file. That's your goal, because the RAW file should always be preserved as the "negative" or original image, i.e. non-destructive conversion and editing. The DNG file is a good substitute for the RAW file if you are stuck otherwise without the ability to edit in Lightroom or Aperture. You'll end up with a RAW file AND a DNG file, but until you update, treat the DNG files as if they were the RAW file, exporting the final edits as JPGs or whatever as you need them.

Raw Photo Processor (RPP)

Of course, Olympus must have their own conversion program, but I think the conversion programs from the manufacturers are almost always problematic. They can't leave well enough alone, and always seem to apply sharpening, noise reduction or color saturation to the file when all you want is conversion to a usable form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still getting the hang of the OM-D, but I've been happy with it so far. Particularly with the 17mm lens (not the new one, the f/2.8)

Funnily enough, getting a new camera has also given me new appreciation for my G10, and I've been more likely to throw that in my work bag than take an iPhone photo lately. I had fully planned to sell it, but my wife has convinced me otherwise.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats up Chicago? Damn I miss that city.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha! Well, it is a big chunk of money to put out, even refurb'd.

I'm still loving mine. I was able to find both myself and Billrick a body cap lens in Tokyo back in November. Seems most places have them in stock now. It's surprisingly competent, and worth the (meager compared to other lenses) cost.

I've done two bigger trips with the OM-D now. Japan in November, and Hawaii last week. I pack super light, and was living out of this bag and it's largely similar predecessor. In Japan, that bag was all I carried on my week long trip castle hunting. The OM-D, body cap lens, 14 2.8, and 40-150 along with a couple of filters, batteries, memory cards, and the UltraPod that xjoex recommended a few pages back. I think this is about the perfect set up for me on trips, and will be what I carry if I ever manage to do some short tours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still love mine, too. But like you, Robin3mj, I find myself appreciating my older Canon S90/95 more than ever. Stays in the pocket. The OMD has turned into my around-the-neck "event" camera for kids and family. Wears the 20mm or the body cap lens. I'll ultimately try a fast zoom lens.

Cody - your HI photos are off the charts fantastic. North Shore, wow! And Diamond Head Lighthouse at dusk? Double wow. Incredible captures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Cody - your HI photos are off the charts fantastic. North Shore, wow! And Diamond Head Lighthouse at dusk? Double wow. Incredible captures.
    Thanks! I don't consider my self very good at this, but I've found that if you go stand somewhere pretty around dusk, you can get some decent shots. The EXIF was stripped out in software, but the Diamond Head one is using a 10 stop ND filter, and I ended up with around a 50 second exposure at f7.1. I've been really pleased with what the big ND filters allow me to do.

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Still love mine, too. But like you, Robin3mj, I find myself appreciating my older Canon S90/95 more than ever. Stays in the pocket. The OMD has turned into my around-the-neck "event" camera for kids and family. Wears the 20mm or the body cap lens. I'll ultimately try a fast zoom lens.
    You've got the 40-150 "kit" lens right? I've been really happy with that one, especially considering the cost! But I haven't tried it on the long end, unsupported, in low light. But with the ultrapod and it, I've been really happy.

One thing worth mentioning that I don't think we've talked about is how slow you can handhold and get decent results with this camera. Part of this is the size, part of it is the built in stabilization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the right photo is all about composition. Rule of thirds, keeping things off center, etc. I like to use lots of sky when I can. Dunno if it's the strong winds around here but the clouds are always interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone put their hands on a Ricoh GR, the new one? Or experience with the older versions, which seems to have similar handling but the smaller sensor?

I have an OMD right now and after 6 months have not quite gotten comfortable with it. The auto focus speed is blazing, but the buttons and menus continue to drive me nuts. The Canon G10 is my perfect "reference" camera as far as usability goes, and I still use mine occasionally but I do know that it's now 5+ year old technology. The majority of my photos for years were the Canon at the widest angle which is 28mm, same as the Ricoh.

The similar Nikon doesn't appeal to me for some reason...

I'm half considering selling my OMD and lenses and the G10 and getting the Ricoh and a G-15. Is this crazy? At the end of the day, I want at least one "enthusiast" camera with solid manual controls (fixed lens is ok) and also a good/great P&S with a zoom, for the times I need a zoom and for when my wife wants to use something beyond her phone cam.

I may be over thinking this, rank amateur that I am.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm half considering selling my OMD and lenses and the G10 and getting the Ricoh and a G-15. Is this crazy? At the end of the day, I want at least one "enthusiast" camera with solid manual controls (fixed lens is ok) and also a good/great P&S with a zoom, for the times I need a zoom and for when my wife wants to use something beyond her phone cam.
    I have some experience with the older version of the Ricoh, but not enough that I would want to offer advice on it. However, I will say that if you get the Ricoh I would not get the G15 to go with it. Go with the S95/S100 family. The G15 and the Ricoh overlap too much, and you will appreciate something that is easier to pocket, or that the wife is more willing to drop in her purse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XJBaylor View Post
    I have some experience with the older version of the Ricoh, but not enough that I would want to offer advice on it. However, I will say that if you get the Ricoh I would not get the G15 to go with it. Go with the S95/S100 family. The G15 and the Ricoh overlap too much, and you will appreciate something that is easier to pocket, or that the wife is more willing to drop in her purse.
    You probably have a point for most folks, but in this case, my wife is almost never going to carry a standalone camera. Rather its much more likely I'd carry the G10/15 and put it to Auto as I hand it to her, or bring 2 cameras myself and hand one off. In which case I'd probably sooner hang onto the G10 than swap it for an S110. This is not to condescend my wife however- she takes nice snaps with her iPhone and we have a ton of apple apps between us to take nice mobile photos.

I bought my folks an S100 for a "once in a lifetime" trip they took last winter, so I should probably put my hands on that camera before I'd decide for good.
    my name is Matt

INSTA