Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

I found this in the equipment storage room at work today. Appears never used (probably for good reason).

This means I win the thread, right?

8148447589_ccec414283_z.jpg

ok, back to useful stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo Challenge Update . . .

Dang it, Joe. This isn't easy! Flat shots are hard to time - berms and jumps? Forget it. I got 30+ photos of dirt and sky.

And note to self, disregard the flashing red light; i.e. don't look at camera.

I'll keep trying. Anyone else?

My chest is aching, burns like a furnace
    the burning keeps me alive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lurker's contribution to this thread:

Canon S90, post-processing in Lightroom/SilverEfex

Riders On The Storm by Hung Q. Mai, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

p.s. - the best part of that old Kodak camera above is that the film expiration date is 1985. Our office moved from CA to MI in 1998. So the film had been expired 13 for years?, but someone still deemed it worthy of moving, shipping, unpacking and locating in the equipment room.

Anybody want it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet a ton of Holga users want your expired film!

It's hard not to look at the flashing red light! I really want to pick up a 20mm f1.7 and the 45mm for the OMD.

Shot from this morning on the S95.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally suck at the selfie photos- I can not hold a candle to Joe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    I totally suck at the selfie photos- I can not hold a candle to Joe.
    You tend to ride with other people, that inversely affects the quality of self portraits!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    You tend to ride with other people, that inversely affects the quality of self portraits!

-Joe
    I do ride a bunch with other- I really like taking pictures for other, hearing their excitement when I get a good one (about 1 in 7 are good: 1 in 20 are excellent) of them or hearing that they posted their picture on the book of faces. It gives people joy....

...but I do ride by myself a bunch too and my attempts at the selfie have resulted in a couple of crashes and mondo amounts of way bad pictures. Lady gets laid up in about a month so I will be back on solo rides only (she is more social than I)- I will re-double my efforts to get a xjoex worthy pictures...till then, I am stuck as pack fill in terms of camera ability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lukasz- can you point to a source for the homemade viewfinder you mentioned?

Snap judgment: Olympus EPM-2 or Panasonic GX1?
    Trying to decide.

Olympus pros- same sensor as the OMD, better screen, bundled flash. Cons- fewer physical buttons (would need to get proficient with remapping, using the menus, etc.)
    Panasonic pros- more buttons, slightly bigger, built in flash. Cons- "older" model

my brain is spinning and I just need to stop researching and jump, since I think a current M43 is going to be my best bet in upgrading from my G10
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post

Trying to decide.

Olympus pros- same sensor as the OMD, better screen, bundled flash. Cons- fewer physical buttons (would need to get proficient with remapping, using the menus, etc.)
    Panasonic pros- more buttons, slightly bigger, built in flash. Cons- "older" model

my brain is spinning and I just need to stop researching and jump, since I think a current M43 is going to be my best bet in upgrading from my G10
    Is there any reason why you are moving away from Canon? I have a G9 (serving me well), but I am looking for another camera for the day this one craps out due to le rough and tumble life style of a MTB photo person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to decide.

You know my opinion, I think m43 is where it's at for most people.

With the olympus bodies, there is a quick menu which holds about everything you'll change frequently. It's nicer having all the buttons and knobs to change everything quickly, but shouldnt be a deal breaker. I think the Olympus UI is pretty good.

But for as long as you've used the G10, if you can swing it, get the OM-D. I think it'll be more durable long term than the lesser m4/3rd gear, which isn't nearly as well-built. But it is double the price of the EPM-2 right now.

EDIT: OMD with 14-45 for $880 refurbished on Olympus's site. I've had real good luck with refurb electronics. I think many of these companies will exchange about anything early in the production cycle, so they can learn any potential manufacturing faults.

EDIT2: The OM-D is pocketable with the 15mm f/8 lens. Confirmed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked up an OM-D this weekend, with the 45/1.8 on the way and will pick up the 17/1.8 when it gets released.

This will be replacing my Fuji X100 (gorgeous image quality, but slow as frozen molasses in terms of AF and overall responsiveness).

Still keeping my S90 as a riding/skiing camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have not read through the entire thread, so apologies if this is repetitive.

My advice, if anyone wants it, is to keep it simple and not get obsessed with equipment. Learn about framing, perspective and composition. Then learn about light sources. Then learn about aperture and shutter speed. Then learn about focal length. Only then is it worthwhile to pour over equipment specs.

Want to keep it even simpler? Get a camera, any camera, with an aperture priority setting and a decent 50mm lens. Take your pictures right after sunrise or just before sunset. Spend more time looking and shooting than playing around with settings. Easy on the photoshop. Your pictures will look nice.

Of course if it's fun to research cameras, compare specs, learn complex post-processing techniques, etc., there is nothing wrong with that either. Personally I love photographing and hate gear shopping, so take my suggestions as coming from that place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I decided, "what better way to test out the AF on my new OM-D than to go shoot a 'cross race?" this weekend. More will be uploaded to my Flickr account over the next week or so as I put the keepers through post-processing.

Eyes On The Prize (or not) by Hung Q. Mai, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are the salonistas carrying their cameras on the bike?

I have a Canon S100 which I've been stuffing into a jersey pocket. With the change in temps, I've been been alarmed to find that it gets pretty wet from perspiration/condensation sitting between my warm body and cool air. I like having it handy so I can shoot while rolling, but it cannot be good for the camera to be getting wet like this (sometimes even the lens is wet behind the retractable cover).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    How are the salonistas carrying their cameras on the bike?
    Emily O'Brien of Dill Pickle made me a small saddlebag with a camera insert; the setup is just big enough to fit my DSLR. More about this bag and her work here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CWinters View Post
    Emily O'Brien of Dill Pickle made me a small saddlebag with a camera insert; the setup is just big enough to fit my DSLR. More about this bag and her work here.

Thanks. That looks interesting. I like the idea of having a Dill Pickle trunk bag, which one of the commenters mentioned. I have a rack on my commuter but haven't used a trunk bag in years because most of them stink. The "problem" with that saddlebag is that I'll land up carrying too much gear!

BTW, my compliments on the website. I didn't realize that was you. Good work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bobo- a snack size Ziploc is just the ticket for that size camera. I actually just bought my folks an S100 for Xmas- hard to pass up at $249 and they have been making noise about another camera besides their aging (but still solid) Canon superzoom ahead of an Oz/NZ trip.

TBR- nothing against Canon. The G1X seems to be getting underwhelming reviews, and while the G15 looks pretty good, I'm intrigued by larger sensors and think it might be time to step into the M43 pool.

Cody...I know. Just can't get there pricewise on the OMD. Maybe a $500 body/kit lens and a prime for now, and transfer the lenses to something better in a couple-few years...hafta see how good Santa thought I was this year.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just upgraded my home computer and in the process, consolidated my photos. Geez, didn't realize that I have 20,000+ photos. Can anyone recommend a software program for organizing a collection that big? I'd like to strip out my old helter skelter folder naming system and organize by date, as a start. Would Adobe LightRoom handle something like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to decide.

Definitely go for the newer Olympus EPM2. The Sony sensor is responsible for the OMD's rave reviews, for the most part. I think the two things that you will miss out on are the 5-axis anti-shake and the weather proofing. But the smaller form is a huge plus, as well. Let us know where you end up.
    My chest is aching, burns like a furnace
    the burning keeps me alive