Thread: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    In that case, I'd take the Ricoh and shoot A TON of black and white JPGS. Keep Cappa's "If the photo isn't interesting, you weren't close enough" advice in mind. Use flash for that snapshot look or crank the ISO for grainy high contrast. Don't worry so much about everything else, just take a lot of photos (way more than you think is necessary) and the closer the better. Make it your goal to take the photos the commercial photographer is not and would not. No overlap. There will be plenty of nicely composed perfectly focused wedding photos from the pro. Have fun and try to get your subjects - the people at the wedding - to have fun too. The less posing the better.
    You and I are speaking the same language. I am a snapshot taker, not a fine art or pro portrait photog. The Pen-F came with a nice little flash that swivels and tilts; I've never been much of a flash user before but I've been working it into my rotation of late.

I found a nice deal on the Olympus 25mm f1.8 and it'll be here today- that little extra reach and the Ricoh should serve me well without lugging a large lens around like a rented 12-40 or the Pro 25mm. I really like the 17/f1.8, so hopefully this'll be similar in AF, output, etc.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricoh just announced a new GRD - the GRD III. Would be nice if the body sealing is improved.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color me intrigued.
    My GRDII is still going strong, so interested to see what really changes in terms of real world use and output.
    Agree on the weather sealing.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on hoping for better sealing. Phase detect AF also sounds promising

My GRII has seen better days and it'll be a toss up between a GRIII or a Canon G7Xmk3 by the time I'm ready for something new.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First look from DPreview. Seems curious some of the button changes they've made. But perhaps it has always been the ultimate P&S camera and less buttons is okay.

Photokina 218: First look at new Ricoh GR III: Digital Photography Review
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For P&S I'm entirely on the Google Pixel XL. Better jpgs than I could get on my Pen-F with the big pro lens and always with me. Seems silly to bring anything else...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Why not let him cheat in one more election?”
    -- Adam Schiff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First look from DPreview. Seems curious some of the button changes they've made. But perhaps it has always been the ultimate P&S camera and less buttons is okay.

Exposure rocker buttons are gone- boo.
    Also, I have one of the side button mapped to toggle between 28/35/47mm crop, not sure if that would still be possible.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has anyone done much video work, specifically cycling related? I'm very quickly seeing the limitations of my EM10. Considering going towards the GH5 (can use my solid, but basic prime lenses) or committing to a new system and going with the sony (thinking A7sii) pretty much just for the low light performance. I would say i'm 50/50 on the video/stills side of things, but could always continue to use the em10 for stills.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricoh has just announced availability of the GRDIII in March. I have a cycling trip in Hokkaido coming up this summer (wife's 50th birthday wish fulfillment.) In terms of lens quality + form factor, I can't think of a better camera for a trip like that. Now it has IS and a new AF system. However, IS means the battery lasts 200 shots, so carry a second battery I guess.

Ricoh GR III, with updated lens, 24MP APS-C sensor and in-body IS to ship in March: Digital Photography Review

I've also been looking at the Fuji XF10, but in the hand, it seems a bit too amateur-ish somehow. It is about $400 cheaper though! Would hurt less if I bounced it off the pavement while fumbling to get it out of my jersey pocket. Images that come out of it are nice, but for some reason all seem to look a bit soft as if it was part of the design. Selfie-softness?

Fujifilm's XF1 is a small, wide-angle APS-C compact: Digital Photography Review

A more likely competitor is the Sony RX100-VA. Houston's weapon of choice. Same price as the GRDIII, more durable?, impeccable images. Don't like a travel camera with a lens snout or a zoom lens. I really prefer the simplicity of a fixed lens wide angle.

Sony replaces RX1 V with RX1 VA, bringing RX1 VI processor and firmware: Digital Photography Review
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Additional views of the GRDIII.

Hands-on with the Ricoh GR III: Digital Photography Review

A photo gallery of sample images (clumsily adjusted raw files but perhaps done only to show possible EV range?)

Ricoh GR III sample gallery: Digital Photography Review
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really tried to like the Sony but I just couldn’t get comfortable with the ergonomics in the store. And the price was high compared to other brands using the same sensor. And I got tired of waiting for the next Ricoh. I ended up with the Canon G7x. I’m happy with the images enough that I haven’t broken out my DSLR since buying it. Video is pretty good too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is no better camera to take along on the bike than the GR. Not only for the excellent image quality (amazing sharp lens) but especially the handling, compactness and light weight makes it the best camera to operate while riding. You just have to be able to live with the 28 mm. I still use the GRD IV but sometimes miss a strong zoom, like here (those mountains looked so close but seem so far at 28mm):
    R0033486.jpg
    Mark Koghee

More of my rides on:
    www.ljubljanees.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love my GR (v2) and while I like the idea of a new one that’s even smaller the removals of certain buttons gives me pause. Particularly the exposure +\- rocker at the top right.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been using this also....Canon G7x
    shoots raw, decent size sensor, easy jersey pocket, lens is sharp and 24-100 zoom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been looking for something that can handle the rain. It's easy to get caught out here, and I don't want to put it in a bag, etc. Any thoughts guys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9f6cd817850b81db806ca5b0093238e1_XL.jpg

I think that is the new one Olympus EM5 Mark III, the previous ones were weather resistant of some sort but I think this new one will have an IP rating. There are also a lot of smaller less expensive cameras than this that can handle water, I have a credit card sized Sony that is waterproof, I forget the model but smaller than my cell phone.

But this Olympus is supposed to be light, and hold up to the weather and this system also has smaller, lighter weight and weather sealed lens options available. Many other ways to skin this cat, but I had been reading some of the early reviews on these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that camera looks pretty nifty. And it is small. With the 17mm (~34mm equiv. FOV) pancake lens it is pretty small and it seems to be getting good reviews. >Oops I linked a review that was for a mark II. The Mark III is supposed to be smaller than the Mark II and the Mark II is about the same size as the Fuji XT-series of rangefinders. So...small camera.<

For a totally waterproof camera, DPreview seems to like the Olympus Tough TG-6 along with all the previous iterations of that camera.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-21-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books