Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

I know some of you rely on the filter plugins of Google's NIK collection. With the latest update of the Mac OS these are no longer free and it's not clear from what I read if Google still offers support or has dropped it entirely.

For me personally, as a non pro enthusiast, this sucks.

PS:
    it seems things are not definite yet;

DxO Buys Nik Collection from Google, Will Resume Development
    . K R I S T O F . D ' H A E S E L E E R .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, does upgrading to High Sierra kill NIK functionality?

I was able to download the latest suite from the DXO website and still have full access, running LR Classic CC on OS 10.12.6
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It did 'kill it' on my Mac... I downloaded the DXO free set but haven't tried yet to plug it in my photo application. I'm using Affinity Photo, btw.

But I found out I also have a standalone set of NIK modules (so not the plug-in) that still seems to function as before.
    . K R I S T O F . D ' H A E S E L E E R .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a shout out for Affinity Photo as a PS alternative. I recently bought (actually I ordered, company bought it) and have been impressed with it. It doesn't have all of the features of PS, but it works exceptionally well for the price and for me is a more practical layout and workspace and flow.

For post Capture One is hard to beat, its just so good...but for organizing photos and exporting them, its just soooo bad (at least 10 was); they just released 11 so hopefully that is better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random question- is there any value to a weather-sealed lens on a non-weather-sealed camera?

I'm using the Oly 17mm/f1.8 on my new Pen and contemplating a zoom. The Panasonic 12-32ish vs the Olympus 12-40 which appears to be much heavier in addition to the weather sealing. I was using the original EM5 kit zoom last weekend and it seemed a bit more sluggish than usual in the snow. (cold weather, not really tons of snow actually landing on the lens.)
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Random question- is there any value to a weather-sealed lens on a non-weather-sealed camera?

I'm using the Oly 17mm/f1.8 on my new Pen and contemplating a zoom. The Panasonic 12-32ish vs the Olympus 12-40 which appears to be much heavier in addition to the weather sealing. I was using the original EM5 kit zoom last weekend and it seemed a bit more sluggish than usual in the snow. (cold weather, not really tons of snow actually landing on the lens.)
    Depends on what they mean by weather sealing. Some of the Canon lenses are weather sealed, but they zoom externally which can allow dust inside the lens body. However the lens elements are sealed internally, meaning no moisture or dirt should be able to get in between the lens. Other manufacturers will state that weather sealing depends on the body used, and some weather sealing is just an o-ring on the lens mount. So the lens is not fully sealed unless it is attached to a lens mount on a camera.

But the main thing with weather sealing is that the manufacturer has decided that it is cost-effective for them to weather-seal the lens, usually because the grade of optics used in the lens is fairly high. So while the upgrade on the lens may not be worth it based on the weather sealing, it might be worth it based on the improved quality of the lens due to the use of a higher grade of optics, which means better glass, more optical elements, more aspherical or perspective correction elements, etc. The best and most expensive lenses are truly weather sealed and made using high quality glass, metal focusing helicals, etc. so they can be noticeably heavier than lower priced, unsealed models.
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-13-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sluggish zoom in cold can be an internal lubrication issue where the viscosity of the lubricant increases as the temperature decreases, slowing the zoom function. But it can also be a battery issue, where the cold has reduced the camera battery's capacity to drive the camera functions. If you have two batteries, put one in a pocket close to your body so that it stays nice and warm, and then switch it out when the battery in the camera gets sluggish.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the 12-40 I use on my Pen-F. It is a stunning lens! I use it for hiking, where the combo hangs on my pack's waist belt and the combo has seen a fair amount of heavy drizzle without incident. But it is big and heavy lens... On the bike, definitely a bag combo rather than a pocket combo...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

Most people wait for the muse to turn up. That's terribly unreliable. I have to sit down and pursue the muse by attempting to work.
    Nick Cave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys!
    I would definitely not use the 12-40 on the bike. My Ricoh GR remains my gold standard, but I also like to have the M43 camera for the lens switching optionality and faster lowlight AF when needed (as opposed to the tremendous snap function in daylight on the Ricoh.) Horses for courses, esp with 3 small kids in the house.

I was actually hesitant to go for the Pen-F given lack of weather sealing, but honestly my sealed EM5 had issues in cold weather, which is really where the “weatherproofing” need arises for me. When I’m honest with myself, I acknowledge that I don’t do much shooting in the rain/dust, etc. despite my ardent love of ‘adventure photography’ on Instagram ;) I kept the Pen in a big Ziploc bag for the beginning and end of our hike last weekend, and shot with it in the moderate snow without much concern. It’s only stuff, right? Just take reasonable care of it but don’t be afraid to use it.

I’m thinking once the kids start playing soccer, singing in concerts, etc. then all the systems out there will have matured enough that one will have an even better mix (for this picky person) of small size, photo quality, lens selection, and haptics.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sort of thinking about the olympus om-de-m1 mark ii for my big trips next year. A truly weather sealed camera for the UK or local hiking/backpacking is probably sensible if I don't want to bring a back-up... Better IS means i don't need to bring a tripod either...
    Guy Washburn

Most people wait for the muse to turn up. That's terribly unreliable. I have to sit down and pursue the muse by attempting to work.
    Nick Cave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm delighted, you're a real professional! I would like to know your opinion about this Why is it necessary to edit photos on MacBook? are you using a macbook?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've switched to Affinity Photo. I run it on a peecee (i never have liked macs). Modestly priced, great performance. Adobe had annoyed me one to many times...
    Guy Washburn

Nick Cave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GladysBurgess View Post
    I'm delighted, you're a real professional! I would like to know your opinion about this Why is it necessary to edit photos on MacBook? are you using a macbook?
    Not necessary at all. I don't think Macbooks are large enough for serious work, for that I prefer the iMac. For myself and others that work in media, I think the overall thing is that everything is cleaner and more coherent on a Mac. The performance of a new PC is the same as a Mac for 1/2 the price, however, after 6 months the performance on a PC sucks while the Mac is largely the same (in my experience). Also, the Mac screens/displays are just so much better without having to drop 3K on a screen alone. So while people complain about the price, I think overall there is a better ROI.

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I've switched to Affinity Photo. Modestly priced, great performance. Adobe had annoyed me one to many times...
    True story. The more I use it, the only thing I really miss is PS batch and script capabilities, those really come in handy sometimes and Affinity is not that great at them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe and other M43-heads…looking for opinions advice in advance of my next trip.

Two days in Iceland, one of which will be on a minivan tour of geysers, waterfalls, and the national park.
    Then my brother in law’s wedding in London, a low key affair for which he has asked me to “take some pictures”.

Bringing my Ricoh, and my Pen-F for which I have the 17mm f1.8 lens. Thinking about renting either the Oly 12-40mm or Oly 25mm f1.2. The former might be good for Iceland, but if I’m being honest with myself, I really prefer to shoot wide. The latter would probably be beneficial for the wedding, and maybe serve as my “longer” lens in Iceland when paired with the (28mm) Ricoh. Going with my current setup (effective 28mm and 35mm) is a bit too much overlap.

I’m kind of talking myself into the 25mm, but wanted to see if anyone thinks I’d be missing out by not bringing something longer to Iceland. For reference, my last few big vacations to Italy, France, and Ireland saw me bring only the Ricoh and that did just fine.

I’m also somewhat worried that I’ll fall in love with the 25mm Pro, and start finagling ways to buy one… ;)
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could get away with just using one camera by using the Pen-F and the Olympus Pro 12-40mm f2.8 zoom for travel, landscape and wedding. But with the Ricoh in your pocket as a backup or sneaky shot taker, you might catch some moments during the wedding or after dinner that would be otherwise unseen. My friend Dan Sheehan started the whole field of wedding photography he retired as a photojournalist and started doing weddings with an SLR + zoom & a Leica M. I think it is actually called wedding journalism now, or something similar.

That Olympus 12-40 seems like a great lens.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to love it, but it was no use. I sold my Pen-f and 12-40 f2.8 pro. Just never was comfortable with the interface. And the em 1 mark II didn't offer any improvements... For a carry camera, I prefer the out of camera jpegs from the Google Pixel XL phone. For more serious use, it can't get anywhere near the Canon.
    Guy Washburn

Nick Cave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I tried to love it, but it was no use. I sold my Pen-f and 12-40 f2.8 pro. Just never was comfortable with the interface. And the em 1 mark II didn't offer any improvements... For a carry camera, I prefer the out of camera jpegs from the Google Pixel XL phone. For more serious use, it can't get anywhere near the Canon.
    So he should buy a Canon?

Here's Dan Sheehan's website for a little inspiration. One of his more popular products is a hand-bound hardback book of actual silver prints. Real darkroom prints in black and white - nothing like them.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    So he should buy a Canon?

Here's Dan Sheehan's website for a little inspiration. One of his more popular products is a hand-bound hardback book of actual silver prints. Real darkroom prints in black and white - nothing like them.
    If he wants to up the quality of his output yes. A really high percentage of wedding pros use them (including Dan).

I made actual silver prints for 35 years. You are quite correct that there is nothing like them, just amazing objects. But a digital inkjet print on quality paper is a pretty amazing object too.
    Guy Washburn

Nick Cave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not buying a Canon, not now (4 days before this trip) nor anytime soon. ;)
    I’m more than happy with my current gear and even more so with the output I get from it. Was more wondering what focal lengths that I am lacking might help on this particular trip, and which could be improved by maybe renting a lens, not switching camera systems entirely.

The request of me from my brother in law was to mainly take the “being there” candid snaps I typically do during family get togethers. There will be a pro hired as well.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not buying a Canon, not now (4 days before this trip) nor anytime soon. ;)
    I’m more than happy with my current gear and even more so with the output I get from it. Was more wondering what focal lengths that I am lacking might help on this particular trip, and which could be improved by maybe renting a lens, not switching camera systems entirely.

The request of me from my brother in law was to mainly take the “being there” candid snaps I typically do during family get togethers. There will be a pro hired as well.
    In that case, I'd take the Ricoh and shoot A TON of black and white JPGS. Keep Cappa's "If the photo isn't interesting, you weren't close enough" advice in mind. Use flash for that snapshot look or crank the ISO for grainy high contrast. Don't worry so much about everything else, just take a lot of photos (way more than you think is necessary) and the closer the better. Make it your goal to take the photos the commercial photographer is not and would not. No overlap. There will be plenty of nicely composed perfectly focused wedding photos from the pro. Have fun and try to get your subjects - the people at the wedding - to have fun too. The less posing the better.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books