OK, but what I really want to know is:

How do you get the bike to stand up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling Photography - Free Nik Plugins from Google

Ok, what am I doing wrong with bike pics and a wide angle lens? The bike always looks weird when I try this combo.

Ignoring the bad lighting and pic angles etc., the two images below were taken on iPhone from roughly the same angle - the top one using a wide angle Moment lens and the bottom using the standard iPhone lens:

Wide Angle Moment Lens:

Normal iPhone Lens:

No matter whether the bike is at one side (rule of thirds) or central, it always looks weird - as if part of it has been stretched somehow. Is it simply my setup? Does this happen with MFT or other wide angle lenses? Can you compensate for it?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The iPhone has a pretty wide angle lens built into it. I think it is essentially equivalent to a 28mm lens in the classic film terms. I doubt there is much built in software rectilinear correction for the iPhone's camera, so you are going to get a fair amount of distortion. Add on an accessory lens that increases the wide angle, you are just asking for it. And the closer you are to things and the closer the things are to the edges, the more the distortion should be apparent. And absence of any real way to keep the iPhone camera plane perfectly parallel to the plane of something like a bicycle, that will emphasize any distortion by making some areas look elongated.

If you put an iPhone image in Lightroom, you can adjust for lens distortion. There is even a built in profile for iPhone cameras to automatically adjust for distortion. Try it and you will see what happens. You can also use apps like SKRWT to adjust the images on the iPhone itself. I don't think there is any way to do it with the iPhone's own image adjustment tools.

edit: Here's a bit about the SKRWT app.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Ok, what am I doing wrong with bike pics and a wide angle lens? The bike always looks weird when I try this combo.

Ignoring the bad lighting and pic angles etc., the two images below were taken on iPhone from roughly the same angle - the top one using a wide angle Moment lens and the bottom using the standard iPhone lens:

Wide Angle Moment Lens:

Normal iPhone Lens:

No matter whether the bike is at one side (rule of thirds) or central, it always looks weird - as if part of it has been stretched somehow. Is it simply my setup? Does this happen with MFT or other wide angle lenses? Can you compensate for it?

Thanks in advance.
    Does this happen with other bikes as well? Because that model definitely gives a "running away from its own headtube" vibe, in all photos I've seen. Not just yours.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The iPhone has a pretty wide angle lens built into it. I think it is essentially equivalent to a 28mm lens in the classic film terms. I doubt there is much built in software rectilinear correction for the iPhone's camera, so you are going to get a fair amount of distortion. Add on an accessory lens that increases the wide angle, you are just asking for it. And the closer you are to things and the closer the things are to the edges, the more the distortion should be apparent. And absence of any real way to keep the iPhone camera plane perfectly parallel to the plane of something like a bicycle, that will emphasize any distortion by making some areas look elongated.

If you put an iPhone image in Lightroom, you can adjust for lens distortion. There is even a built in profile for iPhone cameras to automatically adjust for distortion. Try it and you will see what happens. You can also use apps like SKRWT to adjust the images on the iPhone itself. I don't think there is any way to do it with the iPhone's own image adjustment tools.

edit: Here's a bit about the SKRWT app.
    Every day is a school day - I never realised the iPhone was already wide angle!

So, trying SKWRT...

Wide Angle Moment Lens:

Same pic from the Moment lens, adjusted (quickly, without much care) with SKWRT:

It definitely works; and seems to mean you can maintain the add-on lens wide angle spread without the OTT distortion. Nice. I'm sure it could be made even better with a bit more care and attention too.

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Does this happen with other bikes as well? Because that model definitely gives a "running away from its own headtube" vibe, in all photos I've seen. Not just yours.
    Yes it happens with other bikes. Not sure I get what you mean about "running away from its own headtube", but perhaps all Parlee Altum shots come from a wide angle iPhone lens?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Wide angle tends to balloon the center of the image outwards and stretch the corners. Look at an image shot with something like a 10mm or 15mm lens (non-fisheye) to see what I mean. So that's kind of complicated to adjust, but Lightroom makes it possible and the lens model presets are pretty accurate.

This is what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't do any serious outside photography without an integrated viewfinder. Most micro 4/3 and mirrorless hybrids and high end compact do not have one, he Fuji X100 has one afaik. Are there any other contenders ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wide Angle Moment Lens:

Normal iPhone Lens:

Thanks in advance.
    if you want "round" wheels, a real 50mm lens and stepping back will help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess there is an XT20 now but:

nice ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rich, you just need to put a 700C wheel on in the back instead of a 650B.

I find that this happens if you are too close to the subject with a wide(r) angle lense. You might try getting further back, and cropping if you want keep the bike the same relative size in the photo. The grid that Jorn posted showing distortion of a wide-angle lens is interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    nice ..
    The bike? Yeah, I like that bike too. It isn't mine though - either someone at NYMB who sells the bags or someone at RoadRunner Bags who makes the bags. I bought two RoadRunner bags - that Burrito Supreme that's on the bike and a (Evil Mini) backpack as part of my never-ending quest for the perfect carry-all in the city.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the one feature that the GR cameras have that works well with cycling is the snapshot mode. The camera is basically pre-focused to a given point, reducing the shutter lag considerably, especially since Ricoh has never had the quickest AF. If you are familiar with the principles of hyperfocus, that is essentially what you are using. So f8 and 12 feet gets just about everything in focus.

DPreview has an article on using the X70 and they give it some dings versus the Ricoh. Size and lens quality, which is a bit disappointing. But that Ricoh lens has always been one of the best in the business and is descended from a long line of 28mm lenses in LTM and M bayonet that are highly prized.

So I guess I'd point towards the Ricoh, if compact size w/amazing optics is the criteria, especially if you can get it at a good price.
    So, after two-plus years of various iterations of the Ricoh GR, things are finally starting to click for me with regards to using the Snap Focus mode. I typically take lots of landscapes, so opening the lens all the way has been my go-to. But with three small kids running around my backyard, the only way to stop the action is to invoke Weegie: f/8 and be there. The distance scale on the screen is pretty accurate and I’m starting to get really good results outdoors, running around the yard. Indoors is another matter entirely, and my Olympus seems to focus better in those situations.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, after two-plus years of various iterations of the Ricoh GR, things are finally starting to click for me with regards to using the Snap Focus mode. I typically take lots of landscapes, so opening the lens all the way has been my go-to. But with three small kids running around my backyard, the only way to stop the action is to invoke Weegie: f/8 and be there. The distance scale on the screen is pretty accurate and Iím starting to get really good results outdoors, running around the yard. Indoors is another matter entirely, and my Olympus seems to focus better in those situations.
    Twins turned two this week.
    Ricoh's 'Snap Mode' is the only thing keeping me from lugging around a huge camera.
    Thank you, Ricoh.

my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want them to update this thing with a more modern sensor and better sealing.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmai18 View Post
    I really want them to update this thing with a more modern sensor and better sealing.
    Agreed. I’m waiting for either that announcement or a different one saying no new GR’s in the pipeline, at which point I’d buy another and stick on the shelf until I kill my current one.

Slightly off topic, I used my old EM5 and 17mm/f1.8 to take some Christmas card photos this weekend of the kids and the output was incredible. Just frustrating that the ergonomics are such a massive step down from the Ricoh.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I’m waiting for either that announcement or a different one saying no new GR’s in the pipeline, at which point I’d buy another and stick on the shelf until I kill my current one.

Slightly off topic, I used my old EM5 and 17mm/f1.8 to take some Christmas card photos this weekend of the kids and the output was incredible. Just frustrating that the ergonomics are such a massive step down from the Ricoh.
    I hate the ergonomics of our em10. The extended grip helps though. Still love the EM10 though, I only use the 20mm 1.7 (panasonic) and the Oly 45mm 1.8, and it covers most of what I need. The things just keeps on going though, maybe I'm imagining it, but it feels like its been through a lot at this point.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    I hate the ergonomics of our em10. The extended grip helps though.
    I felt the same way when I had the EM-5. I don't have particularly big hands, but still struggled to get a comfortable hold on it with only my middle and ring fingers around the little ridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricoh has never really weather-sealed the GR line. I have no idea why. They've created an excellent camera, but they've never really seemed to know what to do with it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not expecting full weather sealing. I just want better seals to prevent dust getting into the lens assembly if I so much as look at it the wrong way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    I hate the ergonomics of our em10. The extended grip helps though. Still love the EM10 though, I only use the 20mm 1.7 (panasonic) and the Oly 45mm 1.8, and it covers most of what I need. The things just keeps on going though, maybe I'm imagining it, but it feels like its been through a lot at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmai18 View Post
    I felt the same way when I had the EM-5. I don't have particularly big hands, but still struggled to get a comfortable hold on it with only my middle and ring fingers around the little ridge.
    So, a Pen-F found its way into my grubby mitts this weekend, a 40th bday gift from my entire family. It is substantially heavier than the EM5, but feels better in the hand, dials more comfortably located etc. Haven't done anything but charge it up and take a few indoors shots with it, but I'm looking forward to getting it set up my way.

The Oly 17mm/1.8 lens is a perfect size for the Pen. I also think I'm going to really like the ability to leave the screen folded into the camera and just shoot thru the viewfinder, which seems miles better than the EM5.

PS- anyone want to buy an EM5 (mark 1), cheap?
    my name is Matt

INSTA