Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Jorn- any opinion on the S110 vs. the s120? The latter is newer and seems to go for a little less on eBay.
    Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably one of the top 5 photographs I've taken*...my brother and his pooch at the dog beach last summer.
    I love the near lack of a horizon, faintly suggested by the boat and water skier.

Now, acknowledging that this is an Iphone photo, any of you photog geeks have any suggestions as to post processing before I tried to print as big as reasonably possible?

Thanks,
    Matt

* as in "art" not emotionally important pics

my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on what you're after. Two options that quickly came to mind:

1. Subjects are kind of backlit. Could do some dodging on your brother's face and the dog to bring out some shadow detail.

2. High-key B&W conversion. Turn the sky entirely white, leave your brother and dog in silhouette, and adjust the tone of the water and ripples to provide enough contrast/distinction from the sky.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lbarber View Post
    Jorn- any opinion on the S110 vs. the s120? The latter is newer and seems to go for a little less on eBay.
    Sorry, a little late but I think the S110 hit a sweet spot for design and lens, while the S120 was an improvement on paper but didn't really change much in reality. I don't think the S120 is bursting into flames or anything, so I would just get whichever one was cheapest.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent the day in B&H clicking and poking cameras, trying to figure out if I want a new digital. Everything else seemed big or had a viewfinder that is cluttered and squinty so not very valuable as a shooting tool. The Sony RX100 IV that just came out is incredibly expensive for what it is, and the first thing that happened when I tried using the demo camera was that the periscope viewfinder kept slipping out of place. I know Houston has put his through the wringer, but that viewfinder just seemed super fragile. I tried to convince myself that I need a Fuji XE2 or a Sony A7II, but those are big button and menu filled cameras guaranteed to be replaced almost immediately with corrected versions of themselves. The Panasonic LX100 is too big overall and too small for all the buttons and controls. The Ricoh GRD II is almost the perfect form factor and has a beautiful lens, but the demo model had a dust spot on the sensor already and it hadn't even left the store. And while I did actually like the Fuji TX1, if I am going to carry that, I'll just go ahead and carry my 5D.

I kept coming back to the Panasonic LX7. I have an LX3 that I like a lot, and the LX7 is supposed to be a decent improvement, so I might get that.

This Friday I am off to Italy. I had thought about shooting the whole thing on my iPhone and then doing the same for our family's annual vacation the week afterwards. But I like having a camera, so I don't know.

Used to be you went back and forth over what film to bring. Now you agonize over the entire frickin' camera.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmai18 View Post
    Depends on what you're after. Two options that quickly came to mind:

1. Subjects are kind of backlit. Could do some dodging on your brother's face and the dog to bring out some shadow detail.

2. High-key B&W conversion. Turn the sky entirely white, leave your brother and dog in silhouette, and adjust the tone of the water and ripples to provide enough contrast/distinction from the sky.

I think I am content to leave the backlit so maybe will try a high contrast BWand a high contrast color punch and see how it goes. The morning light at this beach is so flat, it really makes for interesting pictures. I took another photo this past weekend that was very similar in feel, almost one year after this one above.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I spent the day in B&H clicking and poking cameras, trying to figure out if I want a new digital. Everything else seemed big or had a viewfinder that is cluttered and squinty so not very valuable as a shooting tool. The Sony RX100 IV that just came out is incredibly expensive for what it is, and the first thing that happened when I tried using the demo camera was that the periscope viewfinder kept slipping out of place. I know Houston has put his through the wringer, but that viewfinder just seemed super fragile. I tried to convince myself that I need a Fuji XE2 or a Sony A7II, but those are big button and menu filled cameras guaranteed to be replaced almost immediately with corrected versions of themselves. The Panasonic LX100 is too big overall and too small for all the buttons and controls. The Ricoh GRD II is almost the perfect form factor and has a beautiful lens, but the demo model had a dust spot on the sensor already and it hadn't even left the store. And while I did actually like the Fuji TX1, if I am going to carry that, I'll just go ahead and carry my 5D.

I kept coming back to the Panasonic LX7. I have an LX3 that I like a lot, and the LX7 is supposed to be a decent improvement, so I might get that.

This Friday I am off to Italy. I had thought about shooting the whole thing on my iPhone and then doing the same for our family's annual vacation the week afterwards. But I like having a camera, so I don't know.

Used to be you went back and forth over what film to bring. Now you agonize over the entire frickin' camera.
    Was the new GR available to buy? I have one on order from Adorama.
    My GR is practically surgically attached to my hand. I love love love it. My "best" camera is an Olympus EM5 along with the nice 17mm lens, but I have left it home the last two times I've been to Europe. the GR just performs better and is so much easier to tote along, especially on bike rides or with a toddler in tow. Dust on the sensor seems to be an issue but I'm not sure how much of it is called out by pure pixel peepers or what. I don't treat mine very nicely and have no problems.

I'm going through a bit of a downsizing/simplification phase right now (more to come soon on that front...) and landing on the new GR or that plus a cheap zoom P&S seems to be a way better use of resources than hanging onto my M4/3 kit. I do take solace in the weather sees,ING and temp range of my Olympus but after it crapped out on me in single digit temps, I'm less reliant on it in the cold.

Where you headed in Italy?
    If you can get the new GR or want to save a few bucks and get the outgoing model, I would bet you'd be pleasantly surprised. *

* though with an imminent trip I'd recommend you spend some time on the plane adjusting the many flexible settings to your liking. I can send you my custom settings for the MY1-3 notches on the mode dial if you want.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been loving the omd-em10. Also the little Ortlieb handlebar bag. I can whip it out while cruising, and get it back in at a decent speed. I mostly use the Lumix 20mm 1.7, but sometimes my new Olympus 45mm 1.8.

--------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Was the new GR available to buy? I have one on order from Adorama.
    My GR is practically surgically attached to my hand. I love love love it. My "best" camera is an Olympus EM5 along with the nice 17mm lens, but I have left it home the last two times I've been to Europe. the GR just performs better and is so much easier to tote along, especially on bike rides or with a toddler in tow. Dust on the sensor seems to be an issue but I'm not sure how much of it is called out by pure pixel peepers or what. I don't treat mine very nicely and have no problems.

I'm going through a bit of a downsizing/simplification phase right now (more to come soon on that front...) and landing on the new GR or that plus a cheap zoom P&S seems to be a way better use of resources than hanging onto my M4/3 kit. I do take solace in the weather sees,ING and temp range of my Olympus but after it crapped out on me in single digit temps, I'm less reliant on it in the cold.

Where you headed in Italy?
    If you can get the new GR or want to save a few bucks and get the outgoing model, I would bet you'd be pleasantly surprised. *

* though with an imminent trip I'd recommend you spend some time on the plane adjusting the many flexible settings to your liking. I can send you my custom settings for the MY1-3 notches on the mode dial if you want.
    Thanks - nice offer. I've been snake bitten by the Ricoh when an earlier version I had ended up getting dust inside very quickly, and I resolved not to get another until they made a better sealed version. I really like them, and part of that is because I had one of the film versions that I loved, until I dropped it and the film door hinge broke. The lenses are non plus ultra as far as 28mm compact lenses go.

I'd buy the new Leica Q with the fixed 28mm lens in a second if it was under $2K but it is $4500 or some ridiculousness.

So I am going to wait on the bigger purchase for Fuji to update the X-Pro1 to the standards of their X-T1. Or for Sony to update their RX-1. Or something. I just have a feeling that Sony or Fuji are on the cusp of knocking one out of the park. They just aren't there yet, mostly due to AF.

In the meantime, I am going to pick up a Panasonic LX7 and shoot it to pieces.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I'd buy the new Leica Q with the fixed 28mm lens in a second if it was under $2K but it is $4500 or some ridiculousness.
    That might be a hot mess. I'd really like the Fuji XT-1 but as you noted, once you go into that form factor why not carry the DSLR that you already own?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That thing I bought before my holidays make really decent pictures, can serve as occasionnal action camera in 1920p, can suffer those unexpected drops or crushs and is waterproof. So far I am happy. Mine has a builtin GPS but I haven't yet tested it with the function activated. I reckon you guys in the US have access to different colors, I chose it in orange to be able to find it if I dropped it in the water. It is not absurdly compact meaning it is easy to operate with cycling gloves including full finger ones. It could be lighter at 235gr though.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    That might be a hot mess. I'd really like the Fuji XT-1 but as you noted, once you go into that form factor why not carry the DSLR that you already own?
    Geezus. Sounds like someone couldn't read the engineering diagrams for the circuit boards and somehow connected the AFL to the screen display menu or something. That's ridiculous.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    This is probably one of the top 5 photographs I've taken*...my brother and his pooch at the dog beach last summer.
    I love the near lack of a horizon, faintly suggested by the boat and water skier.

Now, acknowledging that this is an Iphone photo, any of you photog geeks have any suggestions as to post processing before I tried to print as big as reasonably possible?

Thanks,
    Matt

* as in "art" not emotionally important pics

Hey, looking at my desktop I never posted this. hope you don't mind, I played with it. I've been learning to work with curves a bit more. I thought brightening the highlights even more would help the lack of horizon even more, and also bring out the reflections and ripples. It also looks real nice in black and white if you ask me. Then the imperfections of the iphone sensor start to look more like grain than its digital equivalent. You could probably get a similar result by using contrast and brightness. But, learning to use curves gives more control.

Untitled-2.jpg
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    question is for what we want to use the camera ;) for caring in jersey the LX5 is great! better as LX7 since it is only 233gr, LX7 is 270gr, great camera, really don't want to carry 270gr around in a jersey, jersey will be hanging down to the knees in the back. cycling around with a handle bar back the Fuji XT1 or a Sony A 7 is the way to go, don't know about the Sony AF, but can tell you that the FujiXT1 AF has any problem, works great.

P.S. why carry a heavy brick around if you don't need to, DSLR are great tools, for PRO work, for TOP print quality, not for some medium quality hobby picture viewed on a computer screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even a 235gr feels slightly heavy on the jersey. Quite similar to a spare tubular but smaller.

Do you guys can recommend a small handlebar pouch to put a compact camera + some money and keys around the handlebar ? I'm not loocking at a big touring handle bar pack, just a small pouch that wouldn't rattle. I'm not fan of stuffing many things in the jersey pockets.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Even a 235gr feels slightly heavy on the jersey. Quite similar to a spare tubular but smaller.

Do you guys can recommend a small handlebar pouch to put a compact camera + some money and keys around the handlebar ? I'm not loocking at a big touring handle bar pack, just a small pouch that wouldn't rattle. I'm not fan of stuffing many things in the jersey pockets.
    I have one of these, and while I think the attachment method could be better, I like it alot. They have a larger version too.
    However, if you're looking for a quick-draw type bag, this may not be it.

https://roadrunnerbags.us/shop/burrito-bag/

my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have used a BaileyWorks Hip Pack on my handlebars for a small camera:
    robonza: Review: Baileyworks TT Hip Bag

I have also used a big Ortlieb handlebar bag with the Ortlieb camera insert:

But now I have moved to carrying my OMD-EM1 in a MindShift Gear Rotation 180 Trail pack. I love this pack. It has done more for my "photography" (pictures of dogs and bikes) than any other piece of camera gear. You can carry a midsize camera, which I like to do but grab the camera in seconds.
    robonza: Review: MindShift Gear Rotation 180 Trail Photo Backpack

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought one of the Panasonic LX7's to take to Italy. I carry my phone while cycling and for some reason the heat seemed to be getting to it (and me too, causing nearly constant flood-like sweating) and I had a lot of lens fogging. Oh well. But the LX7 is great. Totally easy and with the aperture on the lens, speedy handling. Plus I got it with one of those crazy deals only Adorama can construct with two free memory cards plus a "free" $50 gift card for what the camera was selling for elsewhere. So basically like $100 off.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll go with that Baileyworks bag, thanks Joe !
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuji just announced a new couple cameras - really upgraded versions of existing models. One is the X-Pro2 - looks like a really good option for those of us stupidly addicted to the view/rangefinder form factor. I count myself in that group. And the other one is the X-E2S, the next camera body down their line and more of a rangefinder-style TTL camera as the image in the viewfinder is electronic and effectively through the lens, not any sort of parallel prism arrangement. Again, another nice looking camera form and spec-wise.

But the interesting news is Fuji's decision to keep updating older models. Since the beginning of their X-series cameras, they have been periodically updating many of their existing models, even after an older camera was replaced by a newer updated model. But with the new X-E2S, they've gone up a notch by also offering an update to the previous model, the X-E2, that brings its functions up to that of the X-E2S. All the menus are changed, there is a new AF system (incredible really), and a ton of other function enhancements.

This is sort of like Shimano offering a firmware update that changes a 10 speed Di2 system into a fully functioning 11 speed Di2 system without swapping out any parts.

Very cool. And it seems to be a design philosophy on Fuji's part, at least for now.

They did not, however, issue an update for the X-Pro1 so it becomes essentially an X-Pro2, but I suspect the gulf in function between those two cameras is greater. However, if you have an X-E2 and you do the update, let me know how it works.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books