Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Finally thinking about taking the plunge on a decent camera. I feel like I take decent pictures with my iPhone, but want something a bit more to play around with. Most important to me is that it be portable (either in a jersey pocket or handlebar bag), which rules out any kind of DSLR. My research so far has led me to the Fuji x100s and the Olympus EP5, to give an idea of budget and sort of what I'm looking for. Any opinions on these or something else to consider?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    Finally thinking about taking the plunge on a decent camera. I feel like I take decent pictures with my iPhone, but want something a bit more to play around with. Most important to me is that it be portable (either in a jersey pocket or handlebar bag), which rules out any kind of DSLR. My research so far has led me to the Fuji x100s and the Olympus EP5, to give an idea of budget and sort of what I'm looking for. Any opinions on these or something else to consider?
    If you like manual controls, and can live with a 28/35mm focal length, then you will find no shortage of Ricoh GR fans around here.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both are good tools, but I doubt you can carry them in the jersey pocket, your jersey will be down at your knees ;) for jersey carry look at the Panasonic LX series.
    also go for 24mm.

if you can spend a bit more with the Fuji XT1 you have a top tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like my Olympus OMD-EM10. Especially with the panasonic 20mm 1.7. Small enough but not really jersey pocket. If you want something smaller, people really love the Sony RX100. I also have a Nikon AW110, which is waterproof. It works well enough, but not really good enough to cary that and my iphone, but it is much nicer using an actual camera over something like a phone.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General consensus is that current cream-of-the-crop pocketable camera is the RX100 with its 1" sensor. Mk2 vs Mk3 comes down to whether you want to pay a bit more for the EVF or how you feel about the zoom ranges on each model. Canon S90/95/100/110/120 or Panasonic LX7 are also fantastic cameras at a slightly lower price point, but the trade-off is sensor size. I love my GR, but also recognize that it's kind of a niche camera and not everybody likes being stuck with a single focal length.

The X100 and m4/3 cameras are great, but they're bigger and heavier than what I personally want to carry around when I'm riding. The XT-1 seriously makes me consider ditching my entire m4/3 kit, but that's probably not going to happen. If you're considering the X100 and an interchangeable lens mirrorless system, you should check out these articles on the X-bodies and XF lenses.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been using the original RX100 for over two years now. Virtually every bike ride I done in that span I have had it in my jersey pocket, I am surprised it still works. It does and don't miss a beat. It very durable. To be honest I am in the camp that if you think about taking perfect photos while riding you'll ruin your ride. I like the Rx100 bc I just point and shoot with the exception of night time photos and I get great photos. I am a big believer in just point and shoot and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked up the X100T and did my first ride with it. Absolutely won't make the jersey pocket (I knew so going in....) so I'm using a NorthSt handlebar bag for on bike transport. I might sniff around at some form of chest sling if I can keep it up high on my chest rather than on my side or back. That said, the camera is fabulous. This from a simple "recreational" user/photographer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this, Brian: Porcelain Rocket

It looks ok on a mountain bike but not sure what it would look like on a drop bar road machine. Still, I like the concept of a place to stash a camera that's a bit too large for the pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the ortlieb ultimate 6 compact, so far I like it, although it hasn't seen much use yet.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you guys print BIG? if not, any better telephone camera does a nice job. there is so much tech talk everywhere ...
    personally would like to see the results of all this wonder-cameras ;))

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks like a candidate. So far, the NorthSt handlebar bag is working out just barely ok and I think that is it's redeeming quality..., it's JUST the right size. My only reservation is the simple snaps that are used to secure the bag to the bar. Thinking I might back up the snaps with a strip of velcro as a "fail safe"....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    How about this, Brian: Porcelain Rocket

It looks ok on a mountain bike but not sure what it would look like on a drop bar road machine. Still, I like the concept of a place to stash a camera that's a bit too large for the pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ended up going with a Fuji x100s. Tracking says it should arrive today, so of course the day will drag before I get to play with my new toy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless of quality, is there a compact camera known for a very fast start up ? Bonus point if the buttons are easy to operate with gloves. I like taking pictures but not always want to put a foot down or remove a glove while riding.
    Currently using a iphone but I already broke the screen. Would like something more disposable and less expensive.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Regardless of quality, is there a compact camera known for a very fast start up ? Bonus point if the buttons are easy to operate with gloves. I like taking pictures but not always want to put a foot down or remove a glove while riding.
    Currently using a iphone but I already broke the screen. Would like something more disposable and less expensive.
    I'm pretty sure DPreview usually note startup speed, and good descriptions of the controls.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooting the X100s for the past couple of weeks has been super fun. Man, that camera is like cheating!

Untitled by perlhammer25, on Flickr
    by perlhammer25, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chapeau to those of you taking the X100S out with you on rides. I have one, but its far to large and weighty to take out with me in that capacity. I tend to favor my iPhone as in good light, it does fairly well and I don't tend to print the photos I take when I'm out riding. If I did, I'd be looking at something like the Panasonic GM series with a small lens as the absolute largest camera I'd carry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOo JDP! who is the painter in the house?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momma Dukes is the (supremely talented) painter in the house. I think she should actually have a webpage going up in the not too distant future, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momma Dukes is the (supremely talented) painter in the house. I think she should actually have a webpage going up in the not too distant future, too!
    Bless momma dukes and her art ways- keep us posted on the site when it is up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Hey Thomas, I think these cameras are pretty fumble proof and take really nice photos. They aren't made any longer, so you need to search used. Not a bad thing, especially if you drop it.

Canon S110

Second in ease of use but first in image quality is probably this one. Stefan Rohner used one of these a lot. I think now that he has a touring bike with bag he uses a Fuji TX1.

Panasonic LX7

Aha - I see that these are mentioned like 1000x up above - and rightly so. I think the Canon slips out of the jersey pocket more smoothly than the Panasonic - not falls out but slips out when you reach in there to try to shoot while rolling. The Panasonic is a strange camera - it shouldn't take as nice a photo as it does, but it does. The images just look different. Both shoot RAW and post-processing is a breeze.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books