Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cycling Photography - Tips and Gear

I realized that 90% of what I use the Ol' Nikon D90 and the Nikkor glass I own could now be done as well or better with quite a few of the "big sensor P+S" out there.

I think the D90 will stick around, but I'll buy/sell lenses so it does things that the Sony RX100M3 I just impulse purchased doesn't do well.

Life and a new job have me traveling a ton in the not too distant future, I'm looking forward to having a P+S that's the size of my cell phone with the same performance as a basic DSLR camera.
    Greg Ames
    *Hack-Ista*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    I realized that 90% of what I use the Ol' Nikon D90 and the Nikkor glass I own could now be done as well or better with quite a few of the "big sensor P+S" out there.

I think the D90 will stick around, but I'll buy/sell lenses so it does things that the Sony RX100M3 I just impulse purchased doesn't do well.

Life and a new job have me traveling a ton in the not too distant future, I'm looking forward to having a P+S that's the size of my cell phone with the same performance as a basic DSLR camera.
    I ended up going to same route -selling my Canon 5DII and lenses (my favorite of which was the EF 200mm f2.8 which I used exclusively for shooting cyclocross) in favor of a Fuji X100S for general shooting, which while not nearly as small as an RX100 is still a big step down in size from the DSLR. With cross season around the corner I'm wondering how much I'm going to miss the DSLR, but figure this year I'll focus on more reportage style shooting of the spirit and feel of the races rather than action shots of the racers themselves. I do have a couple m43 cameras (an Olympus E-PL1 and a Panasonic G5) that I will also bring with me in case I want a longer focal length, but even so - the X100S and G5 (w/one or two lenses) will still weigh less and be easier to carry than the Canon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a workflow question for those who post on Instagram, particularly StR:

How are you getting images from your camera ( not phone) onto IG?

I'm aware IG won't let you post from a computer, they really want to limit it to mobile phones. So that means a cumbersome process of uploading image from camera/ computer to something like Flickr then bringing it back to the phone in order to send it to IG.

Or using a wifi card in the camera and linking that card to a phone or tablet running the IG app.

Are there other methods?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could download it to your comp, then email it to yourself/your phone (most verizon phones have an email address of 0123456789@vzwpix.com with your number in place), then download it to your phone, then upload it.
    seems like there should be a better way though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Email it to yourself.
    2. Android File Transfer (if you're running a Droid phone)
    3. Dropbox sync.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I upload the pictures anyway to flickr, I save them form there, then upload. if not I mail them to myself. ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Here's a workflow question for those who post on Instagram, particularly StR:

How are you getting images from your camera ( not phone) onto IG?

I'm aware IG won't let you post from a computer, they really want to limit it to mobile phones. So that means a cumbersome process of uploading image from camera/ computer to something like Flickr then bringing it back to the phone in order to send it to IG.

Or using a wifi card in the camera and linking that card to a phone or tablet running the IG app.

Are there other methods?
    My workflow is a little silly, but I go from camera to comp, to google drive, download from app to phone, to vsco cam (unless edited in aperture), to IG. ugh, that sounds pretty sad.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try going from your SD card directly to iPhoto on your mac. Move the images into your photo stream while in iPhoto, they'll be available to the IG app on your phone then. This is assuming you don't want to do crazy shit editing. You can always crop in iPhoto to get your aspect ratio set and do simple stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a used Ricoh GRIII a couple months ago. Really digging the way the files look and the customization of it, very small too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a very good app (and it keeps getting better) to get photos from your computer to an iPhone wirelessly. There is a companion app for your computer, but you don't really need it as the transfer is conducted by the phone app. There is a version for iPhone and Android. I use it a lot.

PHOTO TRANSFER APP | Home - Easily transfer Photos & Videos TO & FROM your Computer & iPhone, iPad, iPad mini, iTouch and Android

I've also found the iPhoto app for iPhone really pretty handy. The exposure adjustments are a little clumsy (why not curves instead of sliders, eh?) but otherwise it works fine. Uploads directly from the app to most of the services.

As far as uploads from a computer to Instagram, there are several apps. This is one my niece uses. She says it rocks, which could mean almost anything, including it doesn't rock. But....

Gramblr - Upload photos to Instagram from your PC, Mac, Computer!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have experience with the Fuji X-series?

I was thinking of renting either the X100s or XT-1 as sort of a test drive before purchase. Reviews are pretty divergent, people either love them or don't care for them at all because of one eccentricity or another. Both look like they can make great images. Perhaps the Xt-1 isn't much smaller than a DSLR (looks to be the same size as an old Nikon film camera).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the first-gen X100 before I switched to m4/3. The sensor is fantastic and the colour rendition in photos is absolutely gorgeous. The only thing I couldn't stand was the really slow autofocus at the time. It was absolutely useless for sports and was barely acceptable (to me) for street photography unless you were using trap focus. They've since updated things with firmware and the hybrid AF of the new generation should make it more than acceptable for most of your needs, as long as you're OK with a 35mm equivalent field of view on the X100s.

If I wasn't already using m4/3, I'd seriously be looking at the X-series again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Fuji X-series?

I was thinking of renting either the X100s or XT-1 as sort of a test drive before purchase. Reviews are pretty divergent, people either love them or don't care for them at all because of one eccentricity or another. Both look like they can make great images. Perhaps the Xt-1 isn't much smaller than a DSLR (looks to be the same size as an old Nikon film camera).
    you can buy the XT 1 without any doubt, great camera! just used it on the Romania trip. while on the road I was not very sure about the picture quality, not like when home, no back on a 27" screen, I am very very happy. just some picture I over sharpened.... but thats not Fujis fault. ;)
    yes, size is like the old Nikons, maybe even a little bit smaller, and very light btw.

1600ASA

400ASA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    yes, size is like the old Nikons, maybe even a little bit smaller, and very light btw.
    I spent the weekend in tourist mode in Boston. In one room, in 1 museum, there were 6 people with Pro/Semi-Pro DSLRs and one guy with an XT-1. I still think the XT-1 is no smaller than the old Nikons but one thing struck me looking at the other people: the folks with the giant DSLRs were lugging them around and slumping shoulders and banging into stuff. The guy with the Fuji was actually taking pictures! There's something to be said for traveling light, particularly if you're shooting people (not sports) and landscapes.

It's a nice looking camera in person and your images prove it's very capable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to sell my canon gear and replace my girlfriends epl1 one of the new olympus. She has the panasonic 17mm 1.7 and its amazing. I never lug around the t1i anymore, even though I have a 50mm on it most the time. I hate that I would have to see my 12-24 tokina go though, its an amazing lens, I just don't see myself traveling with it anymore. Are people even buying used SLRs right now?
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    . Are people even buying used SLRs right now?
    I live near B&H. They'll buy anything, particularly if you are selling for store credit to buy something new. I can't see the reason to buy a used DSLR unless you need a specific model for backup purposes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ten day vacation to France and didn't even bother bringing my Olympus EM5, rather the Ricoh GR and its 28mm fixed lens (with crop mode to 35 & 47mm).
    The latest software update increased the speed with which it locks focus (not quite as fast as the Olympus which is blazing, but fast enough)...
    Didn't miss the bigger camera one iota. Easy to carry on the bike, as well as easy to stash in a pocket and operate one handed with a wiggling ankle-biter in one arm.

my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize this may be an odd question, coming as it is on the heels of the newest reply in this thread, written by none other than yours truly a couple months back...

Anyhow...do any Micro 4/3 shooters have a firm opinion between the Olympus and the Panasonic 25mm (effective 50mm in 35mm parlance) lenses?
    The Pana has the benefit(?) of the Leica tie-in and is f1.4, whereas the Oly is f1.8, significantly smaller, and a lot cheaper. Leaning towards the latter, since an additional benefit is that it may work more seamlessly with my Olympus body.

thanks
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Pana-Leica 25 1.4 is wonderful, but that extra half-stop makes for a long, heavy & conspicuous lens. The 20mm 1.7 is 90+% as good, and so much smaller that I found myself never reaching for the Leica.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a side-by-side. I have the Pana-Leica, but purchased the hood from the 45mm, which is about as deep as the one on the Oly 25mm. The combo is still sizeable, but the Oly wasn't available when I was looking for a 25mm but wasn't totally happy with the AF on the 20mm/1.7.