Thread: Colnago

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Colnago

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Trying not to bombard with pics for every single update, but here it is on tanwalls:

Attachment 119546

If you squint and look *really* closely, you'll spot it's no longer wearing the INGRID cranks - mainly because they don't actually work with the Colnago BB format #facedesk

Instead I borrowed the old Rotor 3D24 cranks from my Roberts, cleaned them up, gave them a quick squirt of black spray paint and got the bike running with those instead - probably only an interim measure (I'm eyeing up the new Rotor carbon cranks longer term), but they may hang around longer if I can't resist the new Limited Edition blue eeBrakes for this... but that risks blue overkill, as I ordered a blue stem too.

Probably going to change the saddle for a Tune Speedneedle - the shape is very similar to the Flite Evo's I've been using, which unfortunately need to go because both of the ones I have are proving to be a bit creaky, damn it.

In other news... I think I like it.
    What didn't work on the Ingrid cranks?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    What didn't work on the Ingrid cranks?
    The back of the spider is designed (quite narrowly-minded, in my opinion) to sort of 'cup' the BB cup, if that makes sense? Like the BB cup sits inboard of the outer edge of the spider. Except the Colnago BB format is too big to do that, so you have to use too many spacers to avoid the spider and BB cup touching, which leaves the drive side crank a good 5 or 6mm further out than it should be.

I say "narrowly-minded", because I think the same issue could easily apply to all PF30 and T47 BB shells too, on the basis that the Colnago BB is basically a T47 with a smaller diameter threaded cup (it is often referred to as 'T45').

Oh well. I've already sold them for a minimal loss and have ordered a set of the new Rotor carbons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The back of the spider is designed (quite narrowly-minded, in my opinion) to sort of 'cup' the BB cup, if that makes sense? Like the BB cup sits inboard of the outer edge of the spider. Except the Colnago BB format is too big to do that, so you have to use too many spacers to avoid the spider and BB cup touching, which leaves the drive side crank a good 5 or 6mm further out than it should be.

I say "narrowly-minded", because I think the same issue could easily apply to all PF30 and T47 BB shells too, on the basis that the Colnago BB is basically a T47 with a smaller diameter threaded cup (it is often referred to as 'T45').

Oh well. I've already sold them for a minimal loss and have ordered a set of the new Rotor carbons.
    Interesting and curious design decision on their part. Thanks.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In other news... I think I like it.
    So, cranks sorted, but a BB click/creak has lingered regardless of the BB & crank setup (having used 3 cranks on it already!) which was making me contemplate selling it. I read up on the creak and found a solution - my nervousness around whether or not that would solve it made me realise I actually quite like the bike and don’t want to sell it.

Thankfully it does seem to sorted, which is a relief. Now I just need to sort the creaky rear wheel and saddle…

0746B560-4B6C-4F0C-8729-A2180BB10944.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, cranks sorted, but a BB click/creak has lingered regardless of the BB & crank setup (having used 3 cranks on it already!) which was making me contemplate selling it. I read up on the creak and found a solution - my nervousness around whether or not that would solve it made me realise I actually quite like the bike and don’t want to sell it.

Thankfully it does seem to sorted, which is a relief. Now I just need to sort the creaky rear wheel and saddle…

0746B560-4B6C-4F0C-8729-A2180BB10944.jpg
    Whats the solution to the creaky BB? I know CeramicSpeed make a T45 threaded option which involves removing the threaded inserts from the frame, but I am assuming you've found another (hopefully less expensive) way? It does seem to be a problem with the C64 frame from what I've read...
    Instagram: rellonchris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    Whats the solution to the creaky BB? I know CeramicSpeed make a T45 threaded option which involves removing the threaded inserts from the frame, but I am assuming you've found another (hopefully less expensive) way? It does seem to be a problem with the C64 frame from what I've read...
    Expensive CeramicSpeed BB was necessary anyway - and actually it’s the update to the Colnago cups so is the recommended solution now.

But also, some of the finishing inside the BB shell isn’t great with (very small) patches of excess epoxy being visible (yeah, I know - not what you’d expect from an AU$6k+ frameset).

After removing any of the epoxy that could have been interfering with the BB cups and sleeve, ensuring the sleeve was installed 100% correctly and using some medium strength loctite paste on the BB and cup threads, the noise has gone - hopefully for good… *everything crossed*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the side this new stem doesn't quite match, but against the darker blue on the top side of the top tube and down the front of the head tube it matches perfectly:

IMG_1758.jpg

Really quite like this bike...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeping it simple - mechanical Record 12 sp, and Bora WTO 33, Vittoria 28's and latex tubes...

Getting in the mood for Roubaix...

Instagram: rellonchris

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's nothing simple about that setup. Close to cutting edge is more like it. And it looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weakened when I found a Darimo carbon post in stock somewhere (I wanted to order one, but was put off by the 2-month lead time:

51545034689_c7713e2eae_k.jpg

Not convinced that I prefer the black post over the original, and I'm still not convinced by the blue stem; but 6.6kg with 29mm rubber is quite a change from where I have been recently!

This bike is really very enjoyable to ride...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weakened when I found a Darimo carbon post in stock somewhere (I wanted to order one, but was put off by the 2-month lead time:

Not convinced that I prefer the black post over the original, and I'm still not convinced by the blue stem; but 6.6kg with 29mm rubber is quite a change from where I have been recently!

Those posts scare me. But I think you need to paint the stem black if you are going to keep it. Or might need a "stronger" looking stem - something boxy - to keep up with the diameters of the frame tubes. Like one of the redesigned Ritchey WCS Toyon stems.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the original post. The bike looked like it had an ISP which I loved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Those posts scare me. But I think you need to paint the stem black if you are going to keep it. Or might need a "stronger" looking stem - something boxy - to keep up with the diameters of the frame tubes. Like one of the redesigned Ritchey WCS Toyon stems.
    I hear you. I may get a Darimo stem to match; or just revert back to the Paul Comp Boxcar I had on it originally...

Quote Originally Posted by endo shi View Post
    I liked the original post. The bike looked like it had an ISP which I loved.
    I know what you mean. Decisions decisions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth painting the Darimo to match or does that defeat the gains of such a seatpost?
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    Is it worth painting the Darimo to match or does that defeat the gains of such a seatpost?
    I really only tried it to see if I liked the black (it’s the only alternative to the original) rather than the weight necessarily - plus painting it would just wreck the resale value.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original post and quit thinking about it. Blue stem and blue post looked great.

You now need to hang a Do Not Disturb sign on the bike when it's in your garage/bike shed. Any more fondling of its parts is just bike-sual harassment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original post is back on, as it the black Paul Comp stem - the relief I felt at doing this was palpable, so that is how it'll stay!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Original post and quit thinking about it. Blue stem and blue post looked great.

You now need to hang a Do Not Disturb sign on the bike when it's in your garage/bike shed. Any more fondling of its parts is just bike-sual harassment.
    That's funny, I need one of those signs!

I say to myself "Just ride the thing and enjoy!"
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got this build up and doing some rides to dial in the position.

2021-10-02 10.49.51 by sevencyclist, on Flickr
    2021-10-09 13.08.51 by sevencyclist, on Flickr
    2021-10-13 22.23.20 by sevencyclist, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These C64s are fantastic bikes; and this one is now more subtle with the black stem back on and with black tape to match:

CF33135F-B628-4E7B-BE29-2657AEA61DC0.jpg

I’ll be honest, there’s a bit of ‘typical Rich’ bike boredom creeping in, though. Thankfully there’s not much else out there that is teasing me - but it is tempting to sell off this frameset, rebuild the Woody and see what shows up…