Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748

Thread: Colnago

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Colnago

I had read previously on other forums Colnago frames could once be ordered bare and painted by a distributor in Belgium, sometimes the paint jobs weren't quite so perfect.

For me the worst part of the video was the construction of the chainstays, disappointing considering it's considered such a prestigious brand but I guess it also shows how much carbon frame quality is improving...or isn't.
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    I had read previously on other forums Colnago frames could once be ordered bare and painted by a distributor in Belgium, sometimes the paint jobs weren't quite so perfect.

For me the worst part of the video was the construction of the chainstays, disappointing considering it's considered such a prestigious brand but I guess it also shows how much carbon frame quality is improving...or isn't.
    Bare / Custom paintwork from new - good point.

I really appreciate Raoul Luescher's work, I've avoided a potential disaster years ago when I imported a C40 frameset into Australia (used) which arrived with what turned out to be a spiral crack in the BB which had been hidden from me during the sale

He has a real deadpan way of letting you down but I appreciate him calling a spade a spade which he does in this video. I've owned a C50 but it was from new and only for 6 years of relaxed training. The oldest tube and lug Colnago I've owned was a 10 year old EP which was well used but at least from the outside was well and truly intact when I sold it as a 12 year old frame. I'd like to think my EPS and newly acquired EP are going to last for literally ages but I too, do not like what I see in the inners of that C50 in the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by open roader View Post
    Maybe it was constructed on a Monday? .......... or a Friday? .....or after a public holiday long weekend ;-)

However, on a more serious note one has to wonder why this frame has had a re-spray, clearly not an original colour scheme - looks like one of those Ali Express paint schemes..........
    ...or whether it is genuine at all. Seeing some of that, I'd like to hope not; but who knows...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maestro Uk sourced his framesets from said Belgian distributor, not sure if he still does.
    I bought an original EP from him(Mike) that I still have, it’s suffered corrosion of the down tube gear cable stops(aluminium) but that’s the British winters for you......anyhow I can confirm that the paint scheme PR01 was not masked correctly and the top tube painted point was in 2 steps instead of a sweeping line. When I enquired about this I was told it was an idiosyncrasy of a hand painted paint scheme. Never bothered me much but did feel it showed a lack of care.
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here’s my contribution to this week’s WTF, Ernesto?! The crown race on the fork on my EPS is cracked on either side of the crown where the mold seams are. There’s also uneven wear on the underside, as if only 180° of the base were contacting the flat shoulder on the fork crown.

It’s a ten-year-old aluminum crown race, no biggie. It wasn’t even creaking. But as best I can tell, it’s cracked because because the mold seams stand proud to the surface, and the fork never saw any kind of post-manufacturing clean up. No sanding, no cutter, just slap a cheap FSA crown race on it and call it good.

I presume this probably indicates my frame is a fake?!

DBA5C712-B15C-4504-9721-7D560CC3FA4E.jpg831A1486-A151-4B3E-BBA0-45B1EEC868D2.jpgFAA9E8ED-2FBB-4E16-B017-585026451378.jpg4CCC9534-09F8-4B13-9BD0-84BF6114AD10.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    Here’s my contribution to this week’s WTF, Ernesto?! The crown race on the fork on my EPS is cracked on either side of the crown where the mold seams are. There’s also uneven wear on the underside, as if only 180° of the base were contacting the flat shoulder on the fork crown.

It’s a ten-year-old aluminum crown race, no biggie. It wasn’t even creaking. But as best I can tell, it’s cracked because because the mold seams stand proud to the surface, and the fork never saw any kind of post-manufacturing clean up. No sanding, no cutter, just slap a cheap FSA crown race on it and call it good.

DBA5C712-B15C-4504-9721-7D560CC3FA4E.jpg831A1486-A151-4B3E-BBA0-45B1EEC868D2.jpgFAA9E8ED-2FBB-4E16-B017-585026451378.jpg4CCC9534-09F8-4B13-9BD0-84BF6114AD10.jpg
    When we were young and carefree.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    No...it's just a Colnago.
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No...it's just a Colnago.
    Hahaha...EXACTLY.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think - will the race fit snugly any longer if you smooth up the crown?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to R&A years ago to look at Colnago and De Rosa bikes. They were a mere shadow of what used to be standard at Conrad's. Scary bad construction.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    What do you think - will the race fit snugly any longer if you smooth up the crown?
    I did, and it’s fine. Perhaps the new race will show cracks in 2030? I think that if it were going to fail, it would’ve done so on any of the many hours-long gravel and fire road stretches I’ve done on this bike this summer. I sure wish this fork cleared more than a Schwalbe 25...

I think this, for me, is just more evidence that it’s normal bike made by mere mortals, not worth the pedestal on which so many place it. When it comes right down to it, the Chinese and Taiwanese are in general much, much better at carbon construction, if only due to having had vastly more practice. But then, I never presumed lugged steel Colnagos were all that well constructed either; at least starting with their move to straight-blade forks, such an obvious cost-cutting measure, the frames have always seemed to me more a nod to the bottom line than to pedigree or aesthetics, etc.

(Also, it’s highly likely carbon bicycle frame construction has advanced since 2010.)