Thread: Colnago

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Colnago

Quote Originally Posted by Andy340 View Post
    Had a similar issue with chain snagging on shifting down to small ring (usually when under load) - I tried a lot of adjusting which didn’t work and finally resorted to checking every tooth on big ring for imperfection. Found a tooth that was gouged (by feel as not obvious to my eyes) and had burrs that must have been catching chain ( not sure if this was original issue or a result of first bad shift which caused damage)

Replaced the chain ring and issue went away.

May not be cause if your issue but worth a look if not already ruled out
    That's a really good candidate, definitely worth checking - thanks for the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0B672ABB-B498-44CF-9FA4-7ED86C4FBA39.jpg

Lookit! I got it right-side up. I’m digging this bike. It’s a good bike. That’s about all I can say about it. It’s not some kind of ethereal, life-changing experience... It’s just a good bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After 2 years- finally completed my 1987 Colnago Mater restoration project. Paint by Velocolour, all Campy 1st Gen C-Record is NOS. Delta face plates by Cycloretro.

IMG_1057.jpgIMG_1058.jpgIMG_1061.jpgIMG_1062.jpgIMG_1063.jpgIMG_1065.jpgIMG_1066.jpgIMG_1067.jpgIMG_1068.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry- not sure how to rotate the photos...….

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please full picture horizontal! Cool job wow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are a couple more photos...….IMG_1069.jpgIMG_1070.jpgIMG_1071.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice!
    So refreshing to see a vintage bike with a proper setup of saddle and bars/levers. Bravo.

p.s.
    those Delta's and the freewheel must have costed a fortune, or a jackpot-luck find!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks- I appreciate the feedback. Sourcing everything took two years- many days and auctions on Ebay. The Delta covers we're engraved by Cycloretro in Australia- he does some amazing work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to me C60... Found it from Italian eBay and made an offer that surprisingly was accepted. It's definitely buyer's market these days if you are looking for a couple years old "superbike" frame that fits no bigger than 25mm tires.

Built it up with parts borrowed from my Festka. The frame was in good condition and the size 54s fits me maybe even better than my EP which is 59 traditional. It's definitely the best handling road bike I've had this far. Leaning it into corners feels so good that I just want to carve even on straight roads. It's also noticeably more comfortable than my EP, partly maybe because more exposed seatpost, but I think the front end is more comfortable too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My V3 RS is waaay more comfortable than my EP........
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A beautiful Italian build!
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A real beauty !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodmorning all

I have a Colnago Super in Sarroni from 1978 with modern accessories that i picked in NOS condition 8 years ago and I totally love. The decals do have a some "scars" from all these years but i don't really mind that. It's a sign of age and character.

The problem is on the top tube where the paint has shown some signs of wear this last year. At one point there is a bubble on the paint and at the point where the gear cable touches the paint it has removed the paint and there is now some rust.

Sent it to my trusty mechanic at the local bike shop for the yearly cleaning, anti-rust, lubing wheels and crankset ... dust removed ... but he suggested that maybe its time to consider for a repaint ...

The bike mechanic suggested someone who sandblasts then uses airbrush and then takes it to the oven.

Any pointers to what should I take in special consideration when i talk to him for more information. I am especially concerned with the Sarroni red as a colour and what determines the quality of the paint to avoid easy chips etc.

Α silly question ... go decals route since that is the way it was original or paint them :)

Anyhow would appreciate any pointers ... thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go decals.

Greg Softley aka Cyclomondo in Australia makes a wide range of truly excellent, accurate uber quality restorative decals for vintage bicycles. I have used his decals for both outside the paint and under clear coat on Colnago steel and carbon lugged frames. His product is first class in every respect.

If your Super has chromed lugs I'd look for a soda blast as sand can get chrome too hot and leave haze.

If this were my own reno I'd have a double or triple coat of 2 pack clear high gloss automotive paint over the Saronni red and the decals. If you go to a panel beater / automotive spray painter they should be able to oven bake the paint and not ruin the decals in the process. My local panel beater guy has a cooler end in his panel oven which only reaches 46 deg C. Didn't shrink the decals on my C50 repaint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

googling terms and proceeding ... thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ant_tip View Post
    New to me C60... Found it from Italian eBay and made an offer that surprisingly was accepted. It's definitely buyer's market these days if you are looking for a couple years old "superbike" frame that fits no bigger than 25mm tires.

Built it up with parts borrowed from my Festka. The frame was in good condition and the size 54s fits me maybe even better than my EP which is 59 traditional. It's definitely the best handling road bike I've had this far. Leaning it into corners feels so good that I just want to carve even on straight roads. It's also noticeably more comfortable than my EP, partly maybe because more exposed seatpost, but I think the front end is more comfortable too.

Nice!

I was after the same frame and then it sold...

Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting...

Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    Interesting...
    Huh. From its heft and "old-world construction" I'd thought of my EPS as a forever bike, should I decide to keep it that long... This definitely makes me reconsider. Pretty shoddy in that C50. (Doesn't mean they're all that way, I know. But they also don't all get halved and analyzed.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    Huh. From its heft and "old-world construction" I'd thought of my EPS as a forever bike, should I decide to keep it that long... This definitely makes me reconsider. Pretty shoddy in that C50. (Doesn't mean they're all that way, I know. But they also don't all get halved and analyzed.)
    Maybe it was constructed on a Monday? .......... or a Friday? .....or after a public holiday long weekend ;-)

However, on a more serious note one has to wonder why this frame has had a re-spray, clearly not an original colour scheme - looks like one of those Ali Express paint schemes..........