Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Colnago

Maiden Voyage

Definitely a great bike, not as plush as the C40 or C50 but it wants to be pushed hard :)

Hucken The Fard Up !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final

I got a Colnago branded flite with blue accents

I consider this build done :)

with Boras

Hucken The Fard Up !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello.

So long since we had some post in here...

So I am riding a Super of 1978 in Sarronni red with a mix of 11speed R/SR mix.. it was a NOS frame I got from Holland with a damaged O in the downtube and the "super " on the silver sticker on the right chainstay being a bit damaged. Overall great condition for a 52 yo frame.

After a year of storage in the basement storage room, due to no time, the paint has some bumps like hair or little bubbles.

I guess time caught up with the paint?

I really like the marks on the O and the super on the chainstay. I think it gives the frame some character.

If u decided to repaint ... And lose the character ... Would you go for a Sarronni red with the necessary decals or would you go for full paint with no stickers?

Would you make an additional two holes for a second bidon cage at The downtube or it destroys the frame as Super. It would be made from a good local framebuilder who will manage the repaint.

Thank you for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically stole these new FFWD carbon clinchers (2016 model I believe).
    I ran into them on my birthday and couldn't pass on them with the ridiculous €1000 discount. Perfect match with the glossy B/W scheme on the C59 and just in time for the lovely spring weather of late.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the impetuosity button got hit pretty hard this weekend...

I came to the realisation last week that my next bike would be my 50th bike. With other stuff not selling and the exchange rate being so bad, any chance of being able to fund the Gaulzetti Pavaix I want are beyond pipedreams right now. Late last week I decided to try and find something nice secondhand, which turned to deciding that something more iconic would be fitting, prompted by this C40 cropping up on Insta.

That reminded me of another C40 that I had seen on eBay that was selling locally. After a bit of back-and-forth over the weekend on price etc., we came to an agreement this afternoon and I picked it up almost straight away:

It was worth the gamble based on its condition - it's *immaculate*. Aside from the odd mark here and there it looks barely used.

I'm putting Record 12v on it for now because the stuff it had on it was a bit of a mish-mash; and I don't trust myself not to go silly if I try and keep it period-correct - although I have misplaced my square taper BB tool which is making ponder finding some nice square taper cranks on the basis that the BB basically looks and feels brand new!

I don't expect to keep this long, partly because I'm not expecting to fit on it well enough to keep it long term - but it might be fun for my shorter local rides; and I've always wanted to know what the hype around the C40 was all about.

Now I regret selling my Hyperons and my Boras... #facepalm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and here it is built:

Fit seems remarkably good and the ride is lovely, but I might sell it just because I feel like someone who will better appreciate it's condition and reputation should be enjoying it... well, that and to avoid the financial rabbit hole of polished & panto'd Athena 11v and Hyperon Ultras...!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    ...but I might sell it...
    Stunned. And shocked:)
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Stunned. And shocked
    ...said no-one, ever, in response to me saying I was going to sell a bike! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's quite nice Rich! And a really good paintjob too.

I've actually been eyeing a couple of C40s myself that are for sale locally... But the nice ones are never the right size, and the ones in the right size are often shoddy colourways or in pretty beat condition.

Is that a 58? And does the ride resemble the Z1 in any way?

...and here it is built:

Fit seems remarkably good and the ride is lovely, but I might sell it just because I feel like someone who will better appreciate it's condition and reputation should be enjoying it... well, that and to avoid the financial rabbit hole of polished & panto'd Athena 11v and Hyperon Ultras...!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by INDECS View Post
    It is a 58, yes. Ride-wise, it is very similar to the Z1 - perhaps very slightly less spritely, but offset by being very slightly more comfortable - but it’s a very close call; and perhaps unsurprisingly, given the similar construction method. I guess the shaped and fluted tubing of the C40 offsets what it lacks in tube diameter against the Z1, but I’m no expert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And just because this is a gallery...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by INDECS View Post
    That's quite nice Rich! And a really good paintjob too.

I've actually been eyeing a couple of C40s myself that are for sale locally... But the nice ones are never the right size, and the ones in the right size are often shoddy colourways or in pretty beat condition.

Your inbox in full, @INDECS...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your inbox in full, @INDECS...
    Fixed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought an EPS frameset yesterday, 2010 56S in matte raw with white stencils. Friend of mine picked it up well west of here, will deliver it when he makes his way back over the mountains. Sometime. Sometime hopefully soon.

Not really sure what possessed me. I have plenty of perfectly good bikes, and certainly don’t need another.

I have never owned a bike with this sort of internets reputation. I hope it holds up in real life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    I bought an EPS frameset yesterday, 2010 56S in matte raw with white stencils. Friend of mine picked it up well west of here, will deliver it when he makes his way back over the mountains. Sometime. Sometime hopefully soon.

Not really sure what possessed me. I have plenty of perfectly good bikes, and certainly don’t need another.

I have never owned a bike with this sort of internets reputation. I hope it holds up in real life.
    Facebook has just reminded me that 6-years ago I had the exact same EPS. I liked it, but it was always too big (had a 58 traditional, but needed a 57).

For me the EP & EPS were the last of the beautiful Colnagos (the C59 tubes were nice, but it lost the sculpted chain stays of the EPS). The chain stays on the EPS are *delicious*.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me the EP & EPS were the last of the beautiful Colnagos (the C59 tubes were nice, but it lost the sculpted chain stays of the EPS). The chain stays on the EPS are *delicious*.
    That’s about my view too, and what drew me to this bike. I’ve owned plenty of cookie-cutter bladder carbon bikes, and they’ve all been amazing, but characterless. I’ve never really fancied myself a Colnago fan: they seem to swing from gaudy-but-otherwise-not-that-special steel - though I’ll definitely admit there’s certainly some perceived shared pedigree - to the current not-that-special carbon.

I keep ending up back on slow, heavy, bendy, long-and-low lugged steel. This seems like the best of all possible worlds: still lugged, still heavy, but not so bendy...and who knows if it’s low? Colnago ain’t sayin’. Measure it after you buy it, I guess.