User Tag List

Thread: Co-Motion Tandem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Co-Motion Tandem

Ta Da. After quite a wait, lots of typical tandem parts games our new custom Co-Motion Steelhead is finally dirty. These are brilliantly designed steel tandems designed to accept 45c tyres, disk brakes with Boost spacing.

Because I am a circus freak there are few options for matched cranksets that use external bearings I was limited. Good news is that Lightning makes just about any size you can imagine and the tech. is fantastic....bring your wallet (fair warning)...but worth it. If you are in a google-foo way look at the design using a Hirst joint which employs a spacer. Remove the spacer and it fits 68 BB shells. Add the spacer and they fit 73, pretty slick. The external BB bearings (for 73) use a not so standard 12.somethingsomething deck height...I'm working on that ;)

https://www.lightningbikes.com/crank...-crankset.html

Anywho, the bike is a monster. With 45c tires and nicely designed front end it is really stable at high speeds on/off road. Yeah yeah yeah TRP Spyres are not Hydros but I'm just not OK with Hydros on a S&S bike. Mechanical Shimano because it ing works. I wanted to hate the Enve carbon gravel bars BUT I gave them a shot. First off I do not have a beard, no offense bearded ones and they are not deep drop bars. Heck my mom would ride deep drop bars and I'm pretty sure that the great spirit in the sky rides deep drops. I love them...d@mnit. Both of us are in the drops most of the time and they are not noodles. Enve did a good job.

Awesome bike, we can't wait to get more miles in.

PS Tommy Barse (Cutlass Velo) if you are reading this get ready. We will need a second wheelset for go-fast mostly road rides.

IMG_9076.jpg

IMG_9081.jpg

IMG_9080.jpg

IMG_9077.jpg

IMG_9079.jpg

IMG_9078.jpg

IMG_9082.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-27-2021 at 09:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Co-Motion Tandem

1) i freakin love this bike. CoMos without fades really stand out to me. especially since they've updated their logo back in...2015? 2014? can't remember.

2) i didn't realize that they've removed the lateral tube from their frames. that must've cut significant weight. the lightest i ever worked on was a sub-18lb Macchiato (aluminum frame, not steel).

anywho - bravo. lovely machine.

ps - your captain crank is off by a tooth.

pps - just kidding
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You made me look Dustin ;)
    Solid job on the paint. Hard to see that it is their signature white with a purple pearl clear coat. I was going for a color that will show the dirt very well.
    Losing the lateral tube, quite frankly, freaked me out not to mention makes for weird water bottle placements. Dwan is a straight shooter who promised me we would be happy and he is right. The bike has a subtle vertical compliance when we are riding VERY hard out of the saddle. The bike corners well on hard pavement with zero signals the beastly fork is flexing or the frame is going two directions. A telling sign might be high speed ruts off road. Thus far the bike behaves predictably. We intend to find some limits before going completely nuts but signs are good so far.
    I'm running the tires tubeless with no issues so far running 45/50 psi. It feels very obvious that we can drop pressure by at aboot 10 psi.

(sad trombone) Co-Motion was not able to source GRX if anyone was wondering.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-27-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet bike! As one of taller members here I'm interested in what length Lightning crank arms you're using (if you care to share).
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Sweet bike! As one of taller members here I'm interested in what length Lightning crank arms you're using (if you care to share).
    Stoker is 175 and Captain 180. Same setup we have been riding and racing for a loooong time. Change is bad.
    I'm really impressed with them. Took me a few head scratches to figure out a few things. LOL the spiders are reversable/interchangeable so OF COURSE I reversed DS/NDS and freaked out when I tried to install pedals ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice tandem. Taking OS steel to another level in the best possible way. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's awesome. bring it up to the woods! you can park the camper in the driveway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    that's awesome. bring it up to the woods! you can park the camper in the driveway.
    In two weekends planning to be at our campsite for some test and tune rides. STOKED!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this thread and started searching Craig's List for tandems. Is my marriage strong enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I saw this thread and started searching Craig's List for tandems. Is my marriage strong enough?
    Tandems make marriage strong like bull.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old saying is, whichever direction your marriage is headed, it will get there quicker on a tandem.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was lucky enough to see this in person at Tommy's shop in Baltimore. It is even better in the flesh. My first question was about the cranks.

Looking forward to hearing how it sparkles on the trails. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear dreamer...rent or borrow for a few trial runs. Stay away from all bicycle riders 1000% and have a coffee/shopping/scenery destination in mind. Magic 8 ball says "Maybe". Caleb if you can throw your leg over a 62cm bike you can own our old tandem. Operators are standing by.

OK back to TRP mechanical brakes and stupidly expensive tandem crank sets. Yep, the cranks are all that and a bag of chips. Can't say that enough. I'm learning to dial in the TRP brakes. They are brilliant in so much each brake pad can be dialed in/out independently making it cake to get the most leverage out of the brake arm. The pads I've got on the bike at the moment buh low. Moving on to SwissStop. Film at 11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Too Tall It's not whether I can get my leg over a 62cm top tube, it's what happens when I shift my weight onto the other foot.

Is it verboten to admit I have a soft spot for mid-90s Schwinns?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...388549932.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    The old saying is, whichever direction your marriage is headed, it will get there quicker on a tandem.
    That's what the hippie in Birkenstocks and hand knit socks told us at the Mt. Airy Tandemo way back when.

Turns out he was right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    In two weekends planning to be at our campsite for some test and tune rides. STOKED!!!
    Super. Holler if you're up for a ride or a meal. The secret taco place is unfortunately closed but we can whip something up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Too Tall It's not whether I can get my leg over a 62cm top tube, it's what happens when I shift my weight onto the other foot.

Is it verboten to admit I have a soft spot for mid-90s Schwinns?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...388549932.html

We bought our Rodriguez tandem (made by Dave Bushnell) for $350. Hold out for a bargain. People decide they need to park their car in the garage instead of the tandem or get a sofa for the living room instead of storing the tandem in there or want a baby instead of a tandem in the baby's room - or they want a different spouse in a different size - and then you get a super deal on something great.

edit: This one looks a real peach.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:15 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've worked on a bunch of that vintage Santana tandems and they are excellent. Edco hubs are sweeeeet. The one thing that I always have to do is fix stuck fixing bolts for the BB eccentrics.

Steel tandems...yup.