Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bianchi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 1997 Bianchi TSX Chorus 10-speed with Shamal Ultras

At long last, after winning the Catawiki / Team Jumbo Visma auction in December for Primoz Roglic's Bianchi that crossed the finish line of the 2020 Vuelta in 1st and TdF in 2nd, I now have it fit to my specs. Context: after announcing their switch from Bianchi to Cervelo, Team JV auctioned their top riders' bikes on Catawiki under the slogan, "to continue the ride", meaning they wanted to find new owners who would continue riding and enjoying the bikes. That I will do to the best of my ability. Maiden voyage tomorrow morning. Here are the specs:

Bianchi Oltre XR4 in Celeste
    Team Jumbo Visma and Primoz Roglic labeling
    Shimano Di2 9100 with integrated power meter
    Still wearing it's Vuelta red leader's jersey bottle cages and race #1 (since Primoz also won the Vuelta in 2019)

The frame is my size, 53cm, despite my being 5'6.5" and Primoz's being 5'10". So for me to ride and race it, I had to swap out some components. I'll keep his original components for posterity. Here were the changes:
    Replaced 172.5mm cranks with 170mm.
    Replaced 39-54 front rings with 36-52.
    Replaced 110mm Vision Metron 5D bars with 90mm Vision Metron 6D bars.
    Replaced the Vuelta red handlebar tape (couldn't reuse it on the new bars) with Celeste tape that was also supplied by Jumbo Visma with the bike.
    Replaced Dura Ace tubular wheels (which I might still race on) with Enve 3.4 clincher wheels, Conti GP5000s, Vittoria latex tubes.
    Replaced Dura Ace skewers with some KCNCs to save weight.
    Current weight: exactly 15.0 pounds.

IMG_2173.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bianchi

Interesting. Very nice, as an ex-pro bike I can't help asking how clapped out is it?

I always wonder about the end life of a pro bike as bikes these days seem in my eyes to be less durable long term?
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    Interesting. Very nice, as an ex-pro bike I can't help asking how clapped out is it?

I always wonder about the end life of a pro bike as bikes these days seem in my eyes to be less durable long term?
    The bike and components were in surprisingly great shape. That's partly because this was his "flat stage" bike, only used for flatter stages including the final stages of the tours, hence the 39-54 gearing. He had a "mountain stage" Bianchi in black (60g lighter paint, plus different gearing) that was ridden in more stages and other races like Liege. He might have had a third bike for training - don't know. In terms of racing, this one was used for the Tour, Vuelta (this bike won one sprint stage), and Slovenian national championships (which this bike also won). If it was used in any other races, they didn't mention them. Despite all that, I was very surprised how new-like and un-pitted the bike appears. The component with the worst apparent wear was the Vision Metron handlebars under the tape, where the glossy cover had corroded off due to sweat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, buying used pro bikes can be tricky. Some folks ride the crap out of them and they get banged around a bunch. Or like a backup TT bike may have almost no miles on it. That one looks pretty good from what the pics allowed. Nice bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool bike with a great story to go with it.

Glad to hear you are riding it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123