Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Baum Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Baum Cycles

I also highly recommend to put a chain on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nearly there:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought these wheels for my next Baum - couldn't resist seeing what they looked like on this bike...

I think they need de-stickering...!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Bought these wheels for my next Baum - couldn't resist seeing what they looked like on this bike...

I think they need de-stickering...!
    I actually kinda like the stickers, they just don't match the frame. Not sure if I can get over the overall look of the wheels though.

I'd still like to try them. At that weight and price they're definitely a great deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a purple sticker coming to replace the orange one - that'll improve them visually, but they're still a bit... shouty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suits the wheels

Do you have an ETA on the new frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll be ready, oooh I don't know, sometime around a certain show happening soon...

I collect it when I move to Australia in late March.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, I forgot it was going to be a show piece! Very nice.

Did you give Baum instructions on how to build it up or are they doing their own thing for the show?

I'm sure you'll enjoy the weather change from the UK to Oz. Beer will still be crap though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've stated some specifics, I've requested some things - it's been give and take on both sides I think so everybody's happy! The main thing is it'll be to my geometry.

It won't be shown with these wheels (unless Baum decide to follow suit), but it'll still look great if they show it with what they said they planned to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -HvA- View Post
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the weather change from the UK to Oz. Beer will still be crap though
    Oh, ouch...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch...!

Those wheels again, after a bit of Photoshop:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
    Hmmm...too bad ti is out of fashion and too boring to use for a real performance bike nowadays.

How we suffer.

This will eventually be matte grey, gloss grey, black and orange...sneak peak from AC tonight! Won't be long now... :)
    Better pics!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooo... I'm expecting to see my new Baum around 2nd-3rd March... Can't wait!

Somewhere between the Right and Left in San Francisco
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

baum.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by TMK View Post
    Better pics!!!
    Been too busy riding it!!

Here ya go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For you guys that have these things, how do they ride compared to the other bikes you have owned or ridden (Ti or any material)?

I don't want this to be a "this vs. that" thing, because you can't go wrong with a well made bike that fits right. I'm just looking for general characteristics.

I hear great things about them, but what makes a Baum the "Bomb"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Lynskey was quite 'soft' compared to my Corretto, and that's why most people choose Ti - it has a reputation for being a comfortable material to ride. It all depends how the bike is built though, and my Corretto is not soft at all. In fact I'd say the power transfer on my Corretto is every bit as direct as my Cervelo R3 was.

Set up the way I have mine (integrated seatpost, full carbon saddle [that has no flex] and Lightweights [which are super-stiff]) the bike can be unforgiving. Equally though, I've comfortably done 250km rides on it setup that way!

You've hit the nail on the head though - when the bike fits right the rest can be managed. If I want to make my bike more comfortable I can run 25c tyres, less stiff wheels and/or a more forgiving saddle. I've tried different saddles and the shape of the Superleggera is too good to ignore despite it's lack of flex. The bike is so damn sprightly with the Lightweights on too it's difficult not to run them. I do use 25c tyres though.

The fit and position is absolutely spot on and the bike rides *beautifully*. What else matters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    ...the bike rides *beautifully*. What else matters?
    Nothing.

Somewhere between the Right and Left in San Francisco
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ty-ro View Post
    For you guys that have these things, how do they ride compared to the other bikes you have owned or ridden (Ti or any material)?

I don't want this to be a "this vs. that" thing, because you can't go wrong with a well made bike that fits right. I'm just looking for general characteristics.

I hear great things about them, but what makes a Baum the "Bomb"?
    I'm sure you get what you ask for...I wanted stiff and crisp, and that's what I got. Handling is spot on...no quirks at all. The first time I rode it I felt that it was VERY similar feeling to the Gaulzetti Corsa that I had for a while, which is a good thing. When I burn off the Conti 23's I have on I'll probably look for something softer or with a bit more volume to plush it up a bit. The snap is amazing though...it feels quick as a whip when you stomp on the pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had been thinking of upgrading my bike to something flashy... Something Italian with GREAT BIG Campagnolo logos on the wheels and a god awful mix of reds and blues and yellows like the pros ride... I wanted to be like the pros!

I asked a friend who is a pro about what he thought I should do. He is known for being very particular for his fit and equipment and is known for riding very unique almost unconventionally low position and is still affective at generating watts and most importantly, win races.

We'd had discussions about bikes, lots of them and we agreed on lots. He said I should forget about the shiny Pro look and get the best bike around - a Baum. He said he was in the process of getting one built as well after his teams new bike supplier wasn't interested in building a bike to fit him properly - strange given his standing in the Pro Tour that year...
    I saw his Baum. It wasn't flash, no flashes of color, not even a sticker on it at all! it was gloss white all over. Not even his name on it. Straight Seat stays, no fancy details like I'd seen on other non-carbon bikes...

But the smile on his face and the passion he had for the bike... I knew there was something special about it. I made inquiries. Shit they were expensive. I purchased a Colnago C50 instead. That year my friend won a race and to reward himself, he went and purchased another Baum. I first lay eyes on it in his garage and from that time on, I knew I needed to get a Baum. The lurid Navy Blue from an Aston Martin, bold contrasting colors... This thing rocked!

I went to the factory to get a set of Lightweights for a friend and couldn't leave without having my name on the list. I never got a tour of the factory, I just said I wanted the best frame they had.

7 months later (yeah, a bit longer than average because I had trouble deciding on colors) the frame turned into everything brand new. A Corretto, on Lightweights & Super Record 11. I was mesmerized by the professional photos I got when the bike was completed. But the details in real life are what blew my mind. The crew mix old world craftsmanship, new school Pro Tour wrenching with bespoke luxury. I've spent time around class-winning Pebble Beach Concourse automobiles and think I can recognize the highest quality fit and finish. My Baum has not disappointed in fit, finish, quality, after sales service.

My C50 lives on the wall at home. Above my Baum that I use rain, hail, shine. Its so much better, i wouldnt consider riding anything else. I've thrown it down the road twice on Lightweights. I've won bunch kicks at 60km/h, bombed down hills at 90km/h, cruised to the cafe. It just does everything without fuss. It inspires confidence, let's you go deeper and brake later into a corner, soaks up the bumps and thumps nicely and when you get off, you can still walk.

I take it home, give it a wash and it comes up like new. Grandmas and HillBilly's come up to me and say "that's the nicest bike I've ever seen!" Racers come up and say its their dream bike. I just think "why don't you get down to see Darren and do what I did... And never regret it!"

To choose my colors, specifications, etc. it takes away what you do with most other bike's you buy... "it's nice... But I want this bar tape, this length stem, these wheels, these bars, that saddle... $5000 turns into $7000... Next year it's all last years, so you do it again.

I ramble. To cut a long story short. Do it, you won't regret it. Jodie, Dave, Sticks, the new paint boys... Darren... They know their shiit. They love bikes.

I asked my friend why he doesn't ride the new top of the line by his teams bike manufacturer... His reponse... "it's good, but their other model is the closest bike I've had to my Baum". What did he do after winning the biggest race of his career - order a Baum... Wait in line like everyone else... And get super excited about speccing it up, what color to choose, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new Baum won't be going to NAHBS now. I won't say much more as it's all in this link, but suffice to say if Baum interests you then this series over the next few weeks should do too. I'll post each one up here too.

Watch A Baum Come To Life - Project Baum Intro