Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Baum Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Baum Cycles

Interesting point Rich. Perhaps you are right. For me, though second or third tier Baum is still interesting.

I am waiting for Baum's latest prices, but looking at an old price list, the Cordato is roughly the same price as a Gaulzetti Cazzo to me now, after currency conversions. The US$ has risen, and the A$ has fallen against the S$. I have ridden a Baum (Corretto...yes it is less expensive now too...but still quite a bit more than the competition's top tier as you have pointed out) and loved it, but have not ridden a Gaulzetti (or even seen one in the flesh). So am still thinking...😝😜

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand corrected. I just received the latest price list from Baum, and they raised their prices. What perceived cost advantages due to the weakened A$ is now almost effectively negated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chong View Post
    I just received the latest price list from Baum, and they raised their prices.
    My guess is that they adjust their prices external to Aus based on the exchange rate to equalise the price globally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean the prices are different in Australia?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. All I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if they adjust their prices based on your locale. I might be completely wrong, but doing so would maintain their 'value' (perceived or otherwise) regardless of the final destination of a frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also keep in mind they're paying for a lot of their input costs, especially for the titanium models, in USD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I just chime in here because I spoke with Darren several times in the last year, manufacturing is hard for some reason people think its easier to make a sustainable profit, I'm going to add that I'm in europe where material availability and theres much easier access to manufacturing, after seeing and hearing what's going on down under, if you could say lets make manufacturing a premium product, but also do it in a country that makes it a difficult proposition before you start id say they do a very very good job

They are still the company where I would spend my own hard earned money because technically the detail and attention to detail Darren puts in are imho worth every penny once you get under the skin

My problem is i cant afford to hang the parts do do a top end Baum Justice .Aston martin make a cheap Aston martin sure everyone knows its not their top model but id pick it over a top end Audi or BMW also ran everyday of the werk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for chiming in, Mike. Valid points. Manufacturing is not an easy industry, especially in a country with no local support for skills, innovation and ancillary supplies/parts. And more so for a luxury product. My business deals with the high end watch industry, so its easy for me to grasp this. This is why the Swiss, the Germans and perhaps the Japanese are the only ones doing a sustainable job at luxury watches.

I like your example on Aston Martin. I too would consider an "entry level" Aston Martin to say a top of the line Citroen or VW, hence my original question. Though with the new prices, Baums are once again possibly at the top of the industry, at least as far as prices are concerned. In Singapore a Ristretto now costs more than a Responsorium. So its not an Aston Martin vs Citroen but vs Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcdermid View Post
    Can I just chime in here because I spoke with Darren several times in the last year, manufacturing is hard for some reason people think its easier to make a sustainable profit, I'm going to add that I'm in europe where material availability and theres much easier access to manufacturing, after seeing and hearing what's going on down under, if you could say lets make manufacturing a premium product, but also do it in a country that makes it a difficult proposition before you start id say they do a very very good job

They are still the company where I would spend my own hard earned money because technically the detail and attention to detail Darren puts in are imho worth every penny once you get under the skin

My problem is i cant afford to hang the parts do do a top end Baum Justice .Aston martin make a cheap Aston martin sure everyone knows its not their top model but id pick it over a top end Audi or BMW also ran everyday of the werk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take the Aston Martin head-badge and put it on an Audi RS6...or maybe put an AMG 6.3 engine into a Vanquish...maybe not
    I would definitely hang a Super Record on a Baum frame with nice paint, oh yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Serious Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcdermid View Post
    So more expensive always equals better (or preferable)?

According to Blue Note Legend, Donald Byrd, in pop music, sales equal quality. He would insist that any million selling song by Pitbull or One Direction was as aesthetically realized as any song by the Beatles and better than any song by Sonic Youth. I used to think he voiced this opinion to justify his big sales in the fusion game, but he did have an academic background as well with a PhD in music from Columbia.

The 25 Worst No. 1 Pop Songs | Consequence of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A Serious Question

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    So more expensive always equals better (or preferable)?

According to Blue Note Legend, Donald Byrd, in pop music, sales equal quality. He would insist that any million selling song by Pitbull or One Direction was as aesthetically realized as any song by the Beatles and better than any song by Sonic Youth. I used to think he voiced this opinion to justify his big sales in the fusion game, but he did have an academic background as well with a PhD in music from Columbia.

The 25 Worst No. 1 Pop Songs | Consequence of Sound
    No I could tell you of a time when I worked in F1 the designer for a particular team actually preffered the CAYMAN they loaned him whilst the Carrera GT he bought was in for service ...though politics wise it would have been a bit silly to say it, I dont particularly care for cars having designed some pretty top end stuff for Motorsports but in lots of industries theres the top end HALO product supported by the things you can afford

As for putting brutish german motors in cars, this baden wuttenburg place keeps appearing on my radar for some reason is it where people do horrible things to nice objets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they put a great engine in an otherwise boring car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what's a Baum worth these days then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    too much

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$5250 - 8000+ for the frame here in the US

Above Category Cycling | Baum Handcrafted Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember, 'worth' and 'cost' are not the same thing. One is subjective.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too many stem changes and steerer length trims, coupled with using a torque wrench that apparently broke a while back has killed the Enve 1.0 steerer on my Corretto. My bad.

I like the Falz fork on my Gaulzetti so out of curiosity I contacted Dazza to see if he had stock. He's sending one to me tomorrow.

It'll be staying unpainted for a while though - I was quoted over $2k for the bike to get a respray at 'the mothership', and their standard designs are only designed to work on an Enve or 3T fork. Not the end of the world as I have the Illustrator file from when I was originally planning the paint, and there's a company in Brisbane who do a very reputable job for a third of the price.

I need the Gaulzetti to be done first, but it looks like I'll get both of my preferred colourschemes after all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    It'll be staying unpainted for a while though - I was quoted over $2k for the bike to get a respray at 'the mothership', and their standard designs are only designed to work on an Enve or 3T fork.
    Are you kidding me, $2000 for a repaint by Baum!

If thats true no wonder people (me included) think Baum are a rip off...
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

"I enjoy climbing...I enjoy seeing people disappear behind me." - Robert Millar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    If thats true no wonder people (me included) think Baum are a rip off...
    Well, if anyone in the UK or US is looking for a Baum right now, the current exchange rate means this would be a veritable bargain (relative to the retail price at least) if I sold it, which I am considering doing:

Still looks bloody good, but I think it's finally time to move on...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Well, if anyone in the UK or US is looking for a Baum right now, the current exchange rate means this would be a veritable bargain (relative to the retail price at least) if I sold it, which I am considering doing:

Still looks bloody good, but I think it's finally time to move on...
    That's the best it's looked in ages (those madfibers were too much)
    Why not keep it? - Do you think you'd regret it in the long term if you sold it on?