Thread: Allied Cycle Works

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Allied Cycle Works

Figured I would post this here too.

Allied is a pretty awesome company. First saw them at NAHBS a few years ago. USA Made Carbon. Finish is really nice and they have some great paint.

Parts spec is in progress, especially the fork. I have one completely lost in USPS land, so i threw on an old Reynolds to get the build done. Few other parts need to be bought and swapped out, but she's ready to ride.

About to take the shakedown ride tonight. Anyone else own an Alilied?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Allied Cycle Works

I have an All-Road that i run mostly on pavement with 700x35 rubber for a plush ride. She works fine on packed gravel as well. However it developed a problem that required a warranty replacement. My new frame is in paint and should be back in my hands in about 2-3 weeks. I'll post pictures once she is built up using the existing parts kit.
    My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally put my warranty replacement All Road back together. My first one had a rear through-axle alignment issue that allowed tire rub when running 700x33-35 tires. Allied asked me to send the frame in and in about a week they responded that it was a defect and would be 100% covered. However I had to wait 7 weeks for a replacement as they had to build from scratch. Overall the process went smoothly and I now have a hand-built American made carbon frame and fork back on the road.

This is a 56+ size (notice the built up front end just behind the head tube). It's perfect for me as it has the reach of a 56cm but the stack of a 58cm... which fits me a bit better, even if it still requires spacers and a flipped up stem to be comfortable for my aging lower back.

The ride reminds me of a friend's Big S Tarmac, but not surprising given the pedigree of the Allied folks. Solid, neutral steering and you feel "in the bike". The front end is a bit harsh, but the Silca Nastro Cuscino bar tape completely eliminates the slight buzz I felt. This bar tape is expensive and a pain in the ass to wrap, but does what Silca claims.

Otherwise it's a N-1 gen eTap Red 11-speed with Force bits to economize here and there. Enve 5.6 Disc wheels built onto Chris King hubs (buzzzzzz... yummy), 700x32 Conti GP5000 tires and Zipp running gear. The front bag is just a bit bigger than a seat pack but can hold spare tube, levers, tools, my phone, a mask and snacks. It's also the only practical way to not have overstuffed jersey pockets as the Garmin flasher/radar takes up a seat pack real estate in the back.

Finally, I really like the subtle metallic flake in the paint. Overall it's a great crap roads bike and I like that it's American (Arkansas) made.

All road June 27 by shenoi, on Flickr

My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After putting a lot of miles on a lot of other bikes, this is the go-fast, go-light bike I wish I still had.. And they aren't making them in rim brake anymore. Sigh.

Kirk MRB | ???