Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Used Oxy-Acetylene Set

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Used Oxy-Acetylene Set

I've done a bunch of searching both here and the wider web and I've gathered a bit of a knowledge base but I'd like not to gamble unnecessarily on used brazing equipment. I found a CL kit with what looks like a J28. Victor Jr Oxygen & Acetylene Welding Set
    I know I'll want check valves and flashback arrestees, and longer lighter hoses.
    Aside from having the seller light it up and checking for leaks and recent tank certification is there any thing else I should be wary of? I know the torch handle is tried and true but what about Classic and vintage regulators? If I can rebuild a Regina freewheel and silence mystery creaks, can I rebuild a torch and regulators?

Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Used Oxy-Acetylene Set

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    If I can rebuild a Regina freewheel and silence mystery creaks, can I rebuild a torch and regulators?
    This can be done, but likely not by you.....Victor controls this by not selling parts to the public, but they will rebuild it for you. When the consequence of a failed regulator rebuild is a major explosion, it begins to make sense why they do this. They'll rebuild torch handles as well. I've had both done on used equipment purchases with success, and would recommend doing so if anything seems even slightly out of place....its not super cheap, but well better than your life and shop.

As for what to look for beyond normal function, leaks (check with soapy water solution) is about the only thing that comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    I've done a bunch of searching both here and the wider web and I've gathered a bit of a knowledge base but I'd like not to gamble unnecessarily on used brazing equipment. I found a CL kit with what looks like a J28. Victor Jr Oxygen & Acetylene Welding Set
    I know I'll want check valves and flashback arrestees, and longer lighter hoses.
    Aside from having the seller light it up and checking for leaks and recent tank certification is there any thing else I should be wary of? I know the torch handle is tried and true but what about Classic and vintage regulators? If I can rebuild a Regina freewheel and silence mystery creaks, can I rebuild a torch and regulators?

Jeff Hazeltine
    Once the secondary sides are adjusted to reasonable operational pressures and are under flowing conditions, close the torch valves and confirm that the secondary pressures don't continue to creap up over a few minutes time, beyond the psi or two jump right at the time you closed the torch valves. You particularly don't want the acetylene regulator to do that!

Those look like Victor 450 series regulators which are very stable due to their larger diaphragms, so the secondary pressures under flowing pressures should stabilize quickly and remain very stable during operation. If the flame, once adjusted, oscillates around some mean, then they need to be rebuilt. Aside from the usual places, check for leaks around the entire perimeter of the bezel where it screws on to the body/back of the regulator, if you can manage it. If there are any then the diaphragm O-ring is bad and they need rebuilding.

They look like they've been around the block. Acetylene being unstable at relatively low pressures, I'd probably spring for a new acetylene secondary gauge to ensure a reliable pressure reading.

I've been through two sets of lightweight (Smith) kevlar sheathed hoses; I'm happier with standard 3/16" and 1/4" oxy fuel hoses. They're far more durable and I find the 25' length to be more convenient than the 12' of the lightweight ones. Some folks have reported good success with the Tinman lightweight hoses but I like the tougher industrial stuff.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turns out the tanks are empty. So no way for me to test. Thank you John and Richard for the info/suggestions.
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just had a set of regulators rebuilt that I bought used and have been using for a couple years. While he had them apart, he re-calibrated to lower pressure so the lower pressure I use for brazing is easier to dial in more precisely. It took a week and cost about $50 to do both.

I should have done it sooner. I wouldn't have a problem going this route again but I would take the regs in to be rebuilt immediately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both my sets of regs. have low pressure Ox gages. I replaced the high pressure ones soon after getting each set. I agree that it's easier to set the out put pressures with low range gages. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%