Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: oxygen concentrators

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: oxygen concentrators

I have a feeling that with the need for oxygen assistance for those that contracted the coronavirus there will be a run on oxygen concentrators. Someone checked with M&M Medical in Beaverdale, PA that repairs and sells them and they were all out. The news talks about ventilators which does the work of a patient's lungs but the next step down is a concentrator that refines air into more pure oxygen. Has anyone tried to get one recently?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just before taking the plunge, a respironics eveflo Q opi should work?

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthca...specifications

Oxygen Concentration*(at 5 LPM) 93% +/-3 %
    Outlet Pressure 5.5 PSI
    Liter Flow 0.5-5 l/min

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume View Post
    Just before taking the plunge, a respironics eveflo Q opi should work?

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthca...specifications

Oxygen Concentration*(at 5 LPM) 93% +/-3 %
    Outlet Pressure 5.5 PSI
    Liter Flow 0.5-5 l/min
    I'm not familiar with that particular model but the specs look right. The ultra quiet feature advertised is nice. I get used to the background noise on my concentrators but obviously less is better.

You will have to convert the barb outlet to a welding hose "B" fitting. The oxygen concentrator industry has plastic ones. The Welding trades make brass ones. Let me know if you want more information about how to do this. I get the clear plastic hose that attaches to the barb on the concentrator on one end and to the brass (or plastic) convertor on the other from Lowe's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone, first post.

After years and years of wanting to build frames, I'm finally plunging for an oxy-propane setup. I've found a DeVilbiss 525ks locally for a fairly good price. It's not cheap (470 euros), but these things are fairly rare around here and and that seems to be about the average price the go for on ebay in europe. The seller claimed it didn't have a hour meter but after some digging I found out that on some models, the meter is hidden behind the filter cover on the back of the machine. The seller checked and it has 425 hours on it. I'm not an expert but that doesn't like too much considering that the machines are rated for tens of thousands of hours. 425 hours isn't much, right?

This might be slightly off-topic, but I'm looking at getting the Messer Minitherm torch to go with the machine. Some local builders use this setup, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any input on torch selection for a beginner?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that was an interesting question so I took a look at the literature.

Apart from mechanical failures (compressor, valves) the life limit is the absorbent bed becoming poisoned because there are impurities in the infeed stream which are not removed by the pressure cycle so they stay in the bed. The cure for this is to replace the bed.

That being said: this paper says that with basic maintenance in a "low resource enviroment" the average age of the functioning concentrator was around 6500 hours and the oldest was more than twice that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arttu View Post
    After years and years of wanting to build frames, I'm finally plunging for an oxy-propane setup. I've found a DeVilbiss 525ks locally for a fairly good price. It's not cheap (470 euros), but these things are fairly rare around here and and that seems to be about the average price the go for on ebay in europe. The seller claimed it didn't have a hour meter but after some digging I found out that on some models, the meter is hidden behind the filter cover on the back of the machine. The seller checked and it has 425 hours on it. I'm not an expert but that doesn't like too much considering that the machines are rated for tens of thousands of hours. 425 hours isn't much, right?
    That's right, the low number of hours makes it almost like being brand new. They are designed to run constantly for years. When I got my Devilbiss model 515 (an older model than yours) it already had 20 some thousand hours of use and now I've been using it for years since.

The company that refurbished mine (M&M Medical) said the Devilbiss models 515/525 have fewer repair problems than other brands. I've tried out several other makers and I get more output on my Devilbiss (even though they are all rated at 5 lam). So it is a good choice. Covid 19 has made finding used concentrators more difficult. Damaged lungs have increased demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored a Devilbiss 515 for 300$ canadian, 1282 hours!! I knew patience would pay off someday.
    Have been stored a few years but it seems to works as it should.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug (and those familiar with Devilbiss units),

*** My attempts to send this message to your 'current email'(as of Nov.'21) failed(along with VS PM too). I'm attempting email via VS and posting here too. ***

Someone near my location is actually selling a Devilbiss 515KZ for about $250 (Oh My Got!). Sorry for the limited photo attached which is all that the seller posted online.

Devilbiss 515KZ.jpg

It does not have the OSD (O2 sensing) feature, but I have an O2 analyzer that can also check flow(lpm)and pressure(psi).

If I recall correctly you had a similar model(US version) until you replaced it recently. Other than what I can check with the O2 analyzer, and checking the hours of use by opening the filter cover behind the handle, I'm hoping that you might be able to give some pointers on what to look out for to determine if it is even worth getting. I will be visiting a total stranger's home so I don't think I can impose and spend too much time there taking off the panels and looking inside like I'd like too.

Perhaps you noticed some distinct sounds or other symptoms before your unit needed to be retired, and how it was different from when the unit was operating normally?

BTW, this one seems like a unit grandma once used (the seller is also selling one of those fancy 4-wheeled electric mobility scooters). : )
    Jihoon Jo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmdo Molah View Post
    Doug (and those familiar with Devilbiss units),

*** My attempts to send this message to your 'current email'(as of Nov.'21) failed(along with VS PM too). I'm attempting email via VS and posting here too. ***

Someone near my location is actually selling a Devilbiss 515KZ for about $250 (Oh My Got!). Sorry for the limited photo attached which is all that the seller posted online.

Devilbiss 515KZ.jpg

It does not have the OSD (O2 sensing) feature, but I have an O2 analyzer that can also check flow(lpm)and pressure(psi).

If I recall correctly you had a similar model(US version) until you replaced it recently. Other than what I can check with the O2 analyzer, and checking the hours of use by opening the filter cover behind the handle, I'm hoping that you might be able to give some pointers on what to look out for to determine if it is even worth getting. I will be visiting a total stranger's home so I don't think I can impose and spend too much time there taking off the panels and looking inside like I'd like too.

Perhaps you noticed some distinct sounds or other symptoms before your unit needed to be retired, and how it was different from when the unit was operating normally?

BTW, this one seems like a unit grandma once used (the seller is also selling one of those fancy 4-wheeled electric mobility scooters). : )
    My internet provider decided to quit offering email service so they shut mine off October 31. While I'm setting up a new gmail account, you can email me at my very old juno.com account. Just type in my name before the AT in all lower case letters without any spaces or dots or anything else and you'll reach me.

I haven't actually retired my Devilbiss 515. It has been working fine for 10 years. The filter in the back has to be changed once in awhile. It is behind the back door that when opened up also shows the number of hours used. Mine is over 17,000 hours. I just added a Devilbiss 525. Unfortunately I don't know much about their inner working. They run fairly quiet when working properly but still make a noticeable background hum. It is enough that those using them for breathing while sleeping figure out a way to place them in another room and run a long extension tube.

I know they can be tested to see what percentage of oxygen they can produce. They are supposed to put out 92% when working properly. However one of my students bought one that had an output of 80% (according to the seller) and we couldn't tell the difference in flame quality between his and mine. I'm not sure how the seller tested the oxygen output. Does your oxygen analyzer check oxygen percentage? His 525 runs noisier than mine but still works fine.

As mentioned before, the Devilbiss 5 lpm models put out more pressure than other brands. $250 is a good value. It is convenient that the output fitting on the 515 and 525 are the same threads as an American size "B" fitting so it is possible to screw in a welding hose directly into the concentrator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    ... I haven't actually retired my Devilbiss 515. It has been working fine for 10 years. ... Mine is over 17,000 hours.

... Does your oxygen analyzer check oxygen percentage? ... .
    That's good to hear that your older Devilbiss 515 is still working fine, as the one that I'm considering is likely as old. As the used units I'll be checking out may have never been refurbished properly like yours, I feel at ease that I can check their condition with my ultrasonic O2 analyzer;

Ultrasonic O2 Analyzer.jpg

The analyzer has 2 nipples on top, the left nipple analyzes O2 percentage and flow(LPM) and the right nipple analyzes pressure(PSI). It's one of the relatively affordable units, and I felt it a necessity to prevent purchasing a non-performing unit. And for units that are not equipped with O2 sensors, I figure the analyzer would be handy for checking O2 output & pressure from time to time.
    Jihoon Jo

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234