Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
It sounds interesting. Do you think that 8 episodes was the right number? I feel like so many documentaries (and plenty of regular shows) are an episode or two longer than they need to be and it ruins the whole thing for me.
Extremely interesting. One correction. I typo’d…it is 9 episodes. I hear you on the length thing but this is not a normal documentary at least in my viewing. I found it so fascinating because it isn’t just the history as I knew it. To me, the way they do the backgrounds of people (often in their own words) such as Brezhnev’s family background and upbringing and the folks they have (like the 90 something year old Japanese woman who survived the bomb and her story of what her mother said to her), the fact that they have everyone from folks who were “in the room” running parts of NATO at the time of historic events to lower level folks like the Russian who was filling in for a sick co-worker and stopped a mistake that would have caused missiles being fired….stuff like that which makes this so fascinating. It really also makes one think about not only how we got to where we are today but the possible off ramps and risks we as a civilization are facing.