User Tag List

Thread: iPhone screen replacement

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default iPhone screen replacement

A friend broke the screen on his 5c. I'd like to save him some money by doing the repair. I've done this sort of thing before, so skills/tools aren't an issue. I know exactly what I need - the screen/digitizer assembly. My question (obviously it's a long shot here but you never know) is whether anyone has any experience with amazon/ebay vendors. I know a couple reputable places I can get what I want for ~85 bucks, but Amazon has them for closer to $50. The problem is that there are very few reviews and I'm hesitant to try to sell my friend on the cheaper screen if I can't verify a decent source. Anyone been here? If not with the 5c, perhaps another iPhone variant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: iPhone screen replacement

there is a guy here in State College that will do it for $70. I can't imagine touching one for that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done two iPod touches and 3rd gen iPhone with screen/digitizer from ebay. My only complaint is that sometimes the peel stick adhesive that is used to hold it all together can be inferior to the OEM. This can result in a less than perfect fit for the trim ring/cover. I highly recommend taking the time to be sure all the old adhesive is removed well. This will help everything lay flat. There is nothing more annoying than getting it all put back together and having that one corner slightly popping up.

Good luck.
    Facebook - Flickr - Instagram
    Darrel Williams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I changed the digitizer on a Garmin Zumo motorcycle GPS last year. Got it from a Hong Kong ebay dealer for about $20 delivered and it was a perfect fit and has worked at least as well as the stock one, which Garmin wanted $150 to replace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies all. It's my friends call, but I'm guessing he'll go for the amazon screen. I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done it, it sucks. I did it successfully once, and the second time I broke one of the connections, phone bricked. only saved 20 bucks as well.

I did a kit through ifixit I think, you dont want to get the cheap LCD. iFixit: The free repair manual
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    I've done it, it sucks. I did it successfully once, and the second time I broke one of the connections, phone bricked. only saved 20 bucks as well. I did a kit through ifixit I think, you dont want to get the cheap LCD. iFixit: The free repair manual
    iFixit pricing basically puts you in professional repair territory, so I'm not really interested in going that route, although I trust the quality of their parts.