Thread: Bike shows, unions, and snark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bike shows, unions, and snark

I'm drunk.

The Philadelphia Bike Expo has outgrown The Armory and is being held this year at the Philadelphia Convention Center.

The Philadelphia Convention Center is arguably the least business-friendly convention center in the entire nation:

Four unions end strike at Convention Center

Expo tickets are $10 for one day (at the door), $15 for a day pass with seminars, and $25 for a weekend-long, all access pass.

Philly Bike Expo

Don Walker continually cites the cost of unions as the reason he can't hold NAHBS in a real city.

So how is this show able to be held in Philadelphia of all places, for less than 1/2 the cost of NABHS?

I have a Philly Expo seminar idea: "Dear Don Walker: Quit Bitching and Make it Happen. If We Can Do This, So Can You."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bike shows, unions, and snark

I'm not going to address the cost thing, but I like the idea of putting on shows in so-called second tier cities. I get tired of the same old places. If ur doing it right how much time do you have to see sights anyway? I always think I'm going to go do stuff but tend stick around the venue because that's where the people are and that's what I came for.

There might also be some good riding to be had just outside of town in smaller cities.

I'm thinking of going to Charlotte if my schedule works out.
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the other hand, in a big city maybe builders could get more business from curious people off the street. I can see the point of having it in a big city too.
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you had it in a real city it would be so overrun with people that nobody would go

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll lobby one more time for Worcester, Ma. Easy drive from 3 major airports. Short drive from Boston. They have space. Hotels...eh...enough for NAHBS. Boston/Providence/Hartford and other New England locales can day-trip it. Worcester has a notable cycling heritage, if that matters at all. Decent food and bars. Some good riding. Lots of builders in the area. Close enough to a big city with less of the big city problems. Maybe someday. Then I can ride to the show in 30 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nashville, tennessee.. Downtown, plenty of shit to do, great riding, no unions, and a brand new convention center that is beautiful, it is also within a days drive of 70% of the U.S. population. Can think of no reason why not. But i will bet some of you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't comment on where it should be but Denver was a superb location. I only wish I had brought a bike or that it had been a bit later and some riding could have taken place. It snowed before and on the last day, making riding impossible, but downtown Denver was a blast.

Can't wait to go again in Charlotte.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more profitable at a smaller venue.
    its about the money.

kudos to the philly crowd.
    real cities have other stuff going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EricKeller View Post
    if you had it in a real city it would be so overrun with people that nobody would go
    I saw what you did there Yogi.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my thoughts, but having it in a 'real' city could help justify the costs to the exhbitors - as it could also be considered a vacation.

Have it in Boston or San Francisco. I'd spend the week and bring my kid & significant other and consider it a vacation...as well as a tradeshow.

Nobody that i know can talk their family into vaca in Charlotte NC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big city does not equal real city.

Real city = north of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the line set forth in the Royal Proclamation of 1763.

I look forward to the continued growth of the Philadelphia show. Pretty decent representation of smaller builders from the region, of which there are many. Need to get my pictures posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GAAP View Post
    Just my thoughts, but having it in a 'real' city could help justify the costs to the exhibitors - as it could also be considered a vacation.
    The thing that justifies cost (for any show) is return , either in sales or advertisement that directly leads to sales. In my experience, the city and casual walk in traffic has relatively little to do with return.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    The thing that justifies cost (for any show) is return ,<cut>
    I agree with Eric atmo. Further to this, I'll add that I don't think the average working, or even almost-working framebuilder has a clear idea regarding what he needs to survive fiscally and for the long run, or if the load he bears even contributes to making the it work. You have to try a lot of things, but if you don't have a plan or a goal, you are just spending money and time that you'll never have again. When you look at your budget for an print ad, a site banner, or any marketing expense, if you don't know what the return is, or even if you can make enough frames fast enough to cover the nut, perhaps spend the energy on your own dotcom-ness and be your own producer, trade show, and sole exhibitor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have it in Tulsa:)
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Have it in Tulsa:)
    You already have it in Tulsa.
    Now, all that's needed is to amplify the noise atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GAAP View Post

Nobody that i know can talk their family into vaca in Charlotte NC.
    There's plenty of people who make the trip for the NASCAR Hall of Fame alone. You won't see a more fervent and reverent group of folks until you see the groups swarming Dale Earnhardt Hall of Fame plaque.

There's plenty to do here, but for a certain kind of folks.

I'll be happy to serve a route guide for anyone coming to town. First two big kids who ride 58cm frames and want to deal with Campy for a few days are welcome to my spare bikes too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I will say is I agree that DW made a false argument that the union was the reason the show was not in Phila for 2014. I know they have run many, many shows out of the city but this new building combined with the lower economy might just have reduced the jerk factor. I heard nothing about all the nightmares we needed to deal with in Denver when it came to carts, power tools, parking in the loading dock, etc, etc.

The return on the show has been reduced because the media is less inclined to dedicate so much effort to a building full of vendors that do not advertise or kick back anything to their ability to stay in business. It was way too much of a one way street. Can't blame them at all. Now it is all about the super bloggers that rely more on hits so they can sell their ads to a few big players.
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    Worcester has a notable cycling heritage....
    and my alma mater...
    and Coney Island hot dogs...
    and really good sandpaper (Norton)....
    and cutting tools (* Starrett)....

If it's in Worcester I'll finally make it to a NAHBS.

--Mark

(*) Worcester county = close enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    There's plenty of people who make the trip for the NASCAR Hall of Fame alone. You won't see a more fervent and reverent group of folks until you see the groups swarming Dale Earnhardt Hall of Fame plaque.

There's plenty to do here, but for a certain kind of folks.

I'll be happy to serve a route guide for anyone coming to town. First two big kids who ride 58cm frames and want to deal with Campy for a few days are welcome to my spare bikes too.
    I plan on coming and I plan on quality rides. I may even spend a few days in the hills to the west before or after or during.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    The thing that justifies cost (for any show) is return , either in sales or advertisement that directly leads to sales. In my experience, the city and casual walk in traffic has relatively little to do with return.
    i have to disagree. I'm taking my family on a vacation anyway. Usually to someplace interesting like NYC, San Fran, Boston, Chicago. If I can piggy back a NAHBS show on the last three days of that, then all I'm actually paying for is the booth & the bike freight. I can justify the booth cost + freight just for NAHBS weekend experience.

Any 'return' from a show on the east or west coast would be insignificant for me anyway. Austin NAHBS was a boon for me. I doubt NC would have any return at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast