Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bay Area Newbies: Located a crown race cutting tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bay Area Newbies: Located a crown race cutting tool

So, I was talking to the manager of a shop that's part of my shop's extended family and found out that he's got a crown race cutting tool with the parts for both 1" and 1 1/8" steerers. I've heard people mention that it's hard to find a shop that's got those guys, vs how easy it to find facing tools, etc, so I figured I'd mention it.
    Here's the info:

Fruitvale Bike Station - Fruitvale - Oakland, CA

Hopefully this isn't out of line, since I have a vested interest in this place doing well, but if that's the case just let me know and I'll delete it or be fine with a moderator doing so.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bay Area Newbies: Located a crown race cutting tool

is it really hard to find? my shop has em. i would think that a shop without a full set of facing tools is sorta whack. not trying to be a jerk though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno what to tell you, heard from a few people that they had trouble finding one for the crown race in the area. I can understand it. Not a cheap tool and it doesn't come up much at all dealing with the common brands. Facing/chasing head tubes/bb, I'd agree with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of shops don't have cutting tools and there's nothing wrong with that. They have made a decision to not handle the kind of work that needs cutters. Worse are the shops that do have cutters but don't know how to use them with the care they need. These are the shops to avoid, not that you'll know this until too late... Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%