Thread: TIG welder advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TIG welder advice

Quote Originally Posted by shand View Post
    I assumed this machine was 3 phase but it turns out it's single phase and looks like it'll work from 220v through to 400v. We have 3 phase 400v so I assume I can wire this to run 400v single phase (assuming I have the correct capacity on our main board, breaker and wiring)? I will consult our local electrician but I thought I'd ask here anyway.

Steven
    Three Phase to UK standard is three sinewaves each 230V WRT neutral phased at 120 degrees to one another so that the voltage between phases = 230V x SQRT3 = 400V. You can also use each phase to neutral for 230V, the supply authority will want you to balance these single phase loads between the three phases.

You can derive 400V single phase by tapping across two phases, you also need to watch phase balance when you do this (eg you might have to move some of the single phase loads to the third phase).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amaro Bikes View Post
    On the other hand, about the "chinese" options, even if functionally they work pretty ok, I would not go for them as they might cause you problems when any failure or manteinance is needed, being a possible no-no situation for spare parts, etc.

As a half way, considering you're in the uk, I might have a look at the R-tech welding machines, chinese base but upgraded and mantained by an UK based company, already some years in the business and apparently with good reviews on customer service, etc. You can find some good deals with tig machines of different types (dc, ac/dc, pulse, remote pedal, etc).

Cheers
    I've got an R-tech 200PDC, 200amps, DC only with pulse. It's ok, it struggles a little starting an arc at very low amperages (less than 20 amps) compared to a big transformer based machine, possibly a Murex Transtig, I used at a college. Not really an issue in normal bike use unless you like to slowly ramp up the current, or use it to TIG braze. The main thing that sold me on the R-tech was customer service as they offer a 2-year warranty and that they would pay the postage both ways on a warranty claim. It has not yet broken down either ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read all I can on here about TIG and looked around on the web for more info. Below is the specs of a welder that seems to cover what I've read. It has optional foot control and settings for pre and post flow etc. My main concern is the output range. It specs 20amps as the lower limit. Is this practical for a newb like me? Thanks.

TIGFORCE200ACDC_main2.jpg

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shand - feel free to email me re wiring/using single vs three phase as we have had our Dynasty 200DX running on both (now 3-phase) and any other UK specific questions. I think the advice about which features/machines above is far more in depth than I could ever give but if you have any q's about the miller just ask

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have working links to Don's tig write-ups?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    I've read all I can on here about TIG and looked around on the web for more info. Below is the specs of a welder that seems to cover what I've read. It has optional foot control and settings for pre and post flow etc. My main concern is the output range. It specs 20amps as the lower limit. Is this practical for a newb like me? Thanks.

TIGFORCE200ACDC_main2.jpg
    When it starts in HF you might notice mistsarts and arc wandering but that can be caused by other things also <20 amps your right down in thin wall catagory as a rule 1 amp per thou so your at 0.5mm ish wall tube right there

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seankanary View Post
    Does anyone have working links to Don's tig write-ups?
    I have this one

Anvil Bikeworks - Built to hammer on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey sorry to thread jack. But wondering if someone can provide some thoughts on the Lincoln precision Tig 185. Would this be suitable for frame building? I had one come up for a good price with low hours and great condition.
    -Todd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used one and it would be a dandy for building frames. Enough juice for other projects, and enough arc control for precision work. If it's a good deal, I'd go for it.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12