Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving 2012 Starting Early

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanksgiving 2012 Starting Early

Roasting a whole rack of pork this year. Got it in brine today. I"ll take it out tomorrow and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for the remainder of the time until Thursday morning. The goal and reason for doing that is to have it totally dry by the time I roast it. Dry exterior=excellent browning and a good crispy roast. Make sure you temper your roasts everybody. Get them out of the fridge a few hours before they go in the oven.

Quite the hunk of meat.

Yes.

Again, Yes.

Rack and Loin

Brined. Thyme. Peppercorns. Honey. Garlic. 1oz salt for every 20oz water.

Happy Fridge

Seasoned up loin chops for dinner tomorrow.

Life is good.
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think any of us slobs can throw it down like you? That looks good, even before it gets cooked...shows finished product!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thanksgiving 2012 Starting Early

I will most definitely be keeping everyone updated on the process and the outcome.
    -H.S.T.

-Grant Peterson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good start. I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tday and counting ;)
    Traditional meals call for a mostly expected menu. I'd find it very disappointing not to have all the family standards on our table however I just scored a 10 lbs. Hubbard squash. I'm digging carmelized squash with a hint of sweet for this time of year.
    Talk to me about your plans for sides this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mains: Cornish hens with maple cranberry glaze.

Sides: 'Wild' mushroom/leek/gruyere gratin. Pan stuffing, pretty conventional - apples, cherries, cremini, nuts, bread etc etc. Steamed green beans and carrot slivers in a kind of cilantro/cumin sort of pesto-ish glop. Continuity? We don't need no stinking continuity.

Pies, of course, nothing fancy but pecan and pumpkin and ice cream.

Various Ommegang products, probably the Calera pinot noir we got last year and my mother in law has a Riesling that is surprisingly good that she's bringing over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just the 2 of us

Bacon herb butter turkey breast
    Roasted beets, carrots, and brussel sprouts w/fresh thyme
    Mashed sweet potatoes
    Spiced cranberry sauce
    Scratch crust apple pie topped with homemade salted caramel ice cream

Dirty martinis for pre-game (cooking)
    Wine

naps

I hope everyone has a wonderful and delicious day!
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Tday and counting ;)
    Traditional meals call for a mostly expected menu. I'd find it very disappointing not to have all the family standards on our table however I just scored a 10 lbs. Hubbard squash. I'm digging carmelized squash with a hint of sweet for this time of year.
    Talk to me about your plans for sides this year.
    PLease make a hubbard squash soup and give me a call.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    PLease make a hubbard squash soup and give me a call.
    Agreed, that really is the best served with a drizzle of marcella and a dollop of chipolte creme. Woops there I go again ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A week ago we hosted my parents for early Thanksgiving. The menu was standard: turkey, mashed potatoes, roasted root veggies, dressing, and gravy.

Thanksgiving proper is at my in laws where I usually have no responsibility other than drinking beer and watching football.

Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend we always have a "Friendsgiving" that involves mass cooking and cab rides home. It's perfect. This year I'm responsible for lefse, lingonberry sauce, and the last of the garden brussel sprouts with thyme and rosemary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might make a meatloaf this year with mashed potatoes and gravy! Anyone have a good "gourmet" recipe? My mom made me one in college that had herbs and grated potato as a binder. It was awesome.. I'm done make turkey for just one person. I'm not a fan of the traditional ketchup on top fwiw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mrs. Haole has been experimenting with ground turkey meatloaf. She did one with kimchee spices in it. Other stuff too, not sure what - I can find out if you want to know. The kimchee spice works well with the black hole of flavor that is ground turkey. You may need to hit the asian grocery to find the spice packs. Otherwise LMK and I'll send you some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raising my hand here. End of season brassicas are the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    A week ago we hosted my parents for early Thanksgiving. The menu was standard: turkey, mashed potatoes, roasted root veggies, dressing, and gravy.

Thanksgiving proper is at my in laws where I usually have no responsibility other than drinking beer and watching football.

Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend we always have a "Friendsgiving" that involves mass cooking and cab rides home. It's perfect. This year I'm responsible for lefse, lingonberry sauce, and the last of the garden brussel sprouts with thyme and rosemary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Mrs. Haole has been experimenting with ground turkey meatloaf. She did one with kimchee spices in it. Other stuff too, not sure what - I can find out if you want to know. The kimchee spice works well with the black hole of flavor that is ground turkey. You may need to hit the asian grocery to find the spice packs. Otherwise LMK and I'll send you some.
    Awesome, but I have some ground beef my girlfriend's dad raised and it's super yummy. No Turkey this year.. Or I might braise some chuck with red wine etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started early because the wife's birthday was Tuesday. Her parents flew in that afternoon to stay through thanksgiving. Her daddy likes the steak.

The heavy blast from the past: The PC Costco had prime top sirloin stakes, flap off, no bone, beautifully marbled, at 7.99/lb. Seared in a hot pan, finished in a warm oven. Sauteed shitake and little portabella mushrooms in garlic butter with fresh thyme, s & p, then added to the fond while the steaks settled and added port. Creamed spinach with shallots and a little parm-reg (is the health theme beginning to come through?). Store bought desserts -- a large chocolate torte, surrounded by assorted macarons (from Paul, near the office), and chocolates from Vermont (where she clerked long ago). A catholic wine choice -- Clementin from C. Pape Clement -- helped it all go down easy, but didn't make me feel absolved of much of anything, perhaps because I'm not actually Catholic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New sidedish, Zucca. Around here the idiots throw away perfectly good Hubbard squash which is used for decoration. Imagine that? This is what a 10 lbs Hubbard looks like after liberation.

*Caramelized in EVO with cinnamon, parsley, sliced garlic and cane sugar
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the day went on Photography became less and less of a priority. These are the pics I did get. The pork was absolutely incredible. Best thanksgiving ever. Bellly braise\chickenstock\apple cider reduction was out of this world. Better than any gravy ever.

Vermont Cheese

Vermont Beer

out of the fridge at 11am

I think this will be good.

9# roast on the grill for 2 hours

Sliced and ready

Braised Belly

Stuffing mise

put it in here at 11am and forget about it till dinner's ready

Cabbage and Apples

Apple Crisp for dessert
    -H.S.T.

-Grant Peterson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no pics. I was too busy running around like a madman and thinking that I was on the verge of a stroke to stop to snap. Pretty sure the one of the guests has some, as he is from NYC and had never seen anything go down like this. We pretty much had folks calling uncle after pupus. My pal Chef Greg opened with several racks of bbq ribs, braised first and finished on the grill with a hoisin/shoyu based glaze. Fully outstanding. There were what Mrs Haole dubbed caprese sticks, a tomato, fresh basil leaf and ball of mozz. cheese on a toothpick. Baked bacon wrapped prunes. Deep fried bacon wrapped shrimp. Lots of poke.

We moved on to dinner. My friend's dad cooked a whole turkey in an imu. It came out nice and smoky and moist. I did a deep fried turkey and a rotisserie boneless leg of lamb. Lamb bathed in a red wine/onion/garlic/parsley/rosemary soup and was basted with that on the spit. I've done this multiple times and it is consistently good. I stuffed the cavity up with a mix of feta and some fresh oregano and rosemary from the garden for good measure. I dont even know what to say on the sides. Needless to say we had a 6' folding table packed end to end with tasty grub and we had a lot left over even after the 20 people here ate to bursting point. Lots of beer and wine. I have a food/booze hangover brewing right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I have no pics. I was too busy running around like a madman and thinking that I was on the verge of a stroke to stop to snap. Pretty sure the one of the guests has some, as he is from NYC and had never seen anything go down like this. We pretty much had folks calling uncle after pupus. My pal Chef Greg opened with several racks of bbq ribs, braised first and finished on the grill with a hoisin/shoyu based glaze. Fully outstanding. There were what Mrs Haole dubbed caprese sticks, a tomato, fresh basil leaf and ball of mozz. cheese on a toothpick. Baked bacon wrapped prunes. Deep fried bacon wrapped shrimp. Lots of poke.

We moved on to dinner. My friend's dad cooked a whole turkey in an imu. It came out nice and smoky and moist. I did a deep fried turkey and a rotisserie boneless leg of lamb. Lamb bathed in a red wine/onion/garlic/parsley/rosemary soup and was basted with that on the spit. I've done this multiple times and it is consistently good. I stuffed the cavity up with a mix of feta and some fresh oregano and rosemary from the garden for good measure. I dont even know what to say on the sides. Needless to say we had a 6' folding table packed end to end with tasty grub and we had a lot left over even after the 20 people here ate to bursting point. Lots of beer and wine. I have a food/booze hangover brewing right now.
    Sounds awesome. My beef bourguignon sorta looked like dog food but man was it ever tasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woah. Amazing reports. What no desserts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast