Thread: ??? Anyone ever....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ??? Anyone ever....

Deep fried a prime rib?

Mrs. Haole is throwing the idea out to me. I have done some research. Looks like 3 min a pound will do it, but I'd like to know some real world results from an actual person before relying on the internets. It is a little different throwing a big expensive nice chunk of beef into the vat as opposed to a turkey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ??? Anyone ever....

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Deep fried a prime rib?

Mrs. Haole is throwing the idea out to me. I have done some research. Looks like 3 min a pound will do it, but I'd like to know some real world results from an actual person before relying on the internets. It is a little different throwing a big expensive nice chunk of beef into the vat as opposed to a turkey.
    Let me know when it happens, I'll take a knee in support of a good outcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hunting buddy and i have been deep frying elk tenderloin for thanksgiving for 5+ years. red meat is a little tricky compared to a bird because the oil doesn't go inside and it's really dense. Start with a rib steak, then a thicker one before you jump to a roast.

Beef tenderloin chunks in tempura batter are pretty rad too.
    My guess is that the fattier cut of a rib piece will tend to cook the outside really hard before even touching the inner part.
    I would learn how to bring your oil to 350* and maintain it with half throttle and then floor it when you add the meat to keep it from dropping too far.

For a steak or thick cut it will be more like3-4 minutes an inch of thickness, once you pull it out I would cover it and let it sit for a bit to finish cooking inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good things there...experimenting with cooking in oil. I am down with that. I will have to get a lesser cut and give that a whirl. We were already thinking of doing a BBQ this weekend, mrs haole wants to make it boiling oil centric, so we can get another go out of the jug of oil in the laundry room.

The setup that I have will hold at 350 pretty well. I will probably be using close to 3 gallons of oil. I did not get a significant temp drop this year when I did the turkeys. Not sure if it made a difference, but I switched to a stainless pot this year. It seems to heat faster and hold heat better than the aluminum pot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pot almost certainly made a difference. Heavier is better. If you could find a five-gallon dutch oven, you'd be golden. Well, after you bought an engine puller to get it up onto the burner.

ETA: So, that exists. It weighs 46 lbs.