Thread: Chicago: Downtown Hotel Recommendations / Bike Shops

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chicago: Downtown Hotel Recommendations / Bike Shops

Hello,

I'll be visiting Chicago from Feb 18 thru the 25th for dental meetings and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations on where to stay downtown. I will be traveling with my wife and 2 month old son so I'm looking for baby/friendly hotels if such a thing exists. We've stayed at other hotels there but never with a baby. Price is not really a big deal (but saving money is always a good thing!) as long as it's on the Magnificent Mile or very close proximity to it.

Also, can anyone recommend any bike shops close to downtown. I like to pick up local/team jerseys from places that I visit. A place that maybe rents out bikes and has a shop ride from the area would be awesome too!

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Chicago: Downtown Hotel Recommendations / Bike Shops

Shops:
    Tati
    Johnny Sprockets
    Iron Cycles

Hotels:
    search for Wacker street
    that will keep you in walking distance of all the glitz

Street Parking in dt has gone up to 6.50/hour
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gios78 View Post
    Hello,
    A place that maybe rents out bikes and has a shop ride from the area would be awesome too!

Cheers!
    Monthly Weather Forecast for Chicago, IL - weather.com

If you are planning on renting a bike, bring winter clothing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Monthly Weather Forecast for Chicago, IL - weather.com

If you are planning on renting a bike, bring winter clothing...
    Although most models show it will reach almost 50 next week. March 2012 Chicago had a record string of 5 days with temps above 70.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    Shops:
    Tati
    Johnny Sprockets
    Iron Cycles
    All good shops, but all fairly tough to reach from the Mag Mile. Cycle Smithy on North Clark, or Kozy's on the near West Side are easier trips from the Near North Side.

My sister likes to fly in from New York with her son a few times a year. She has stayed at, among others, the Four Seasons, The Trump, and the Marriott (blah!).

The one I liked best is the Sofitel-Chicago: Sofitel Chicago Water Tower - Luxury Hotel Chicago

It is a marvelous new building and the French just seem to know how to do hotels right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    All good shops, but all fairly tough to reach from the Mag Mile. Cycle Smithy on North Clark, or Kozy's on the near West Side are easier trips from the Near North Side.

My sister likes to fly in from New York with her son a few times a year. She has stayed at, among others, the Four Seasons, The Trump, and the Marriott (blah!).

The one I liked best is the Sofitel-Chicago: Sofitel Chicago Water Tower - Luxury Hotel Chicago

It is a marvelous new building and the French just seem to know how to do hotels right.
    Thanks for the advice! My wife was doing research on Trip Advisor and also liked Sofitel. I think it's worth giving a boutique hotel a shot and the reviews sound great. Being in SG with year round riding weather I totally forgot that it would be winter in Chicago! I will try to check out the shops mentioned to smuggle some gear back. Thanks again fellas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've enjoyed my stays at the Kimpton Palomar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    I've enjoyed my stays at the Kimpton Palomar.
    I live here, so I don't know the hotel scene that well, but the Palomar is nicely located, and the restaurant on the ground floor (Sable) is a nice spot.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another vote for the Sofitel here. I've heard very good things about the Swissotel as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Tati has regular business hours so if you are thinking of heading down there give a call first. Kozy's and Village are the Performance and Nashbar of Chicago. They have some cool stuff but not the coolest shops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    I don't think Tati has regular business hours so if you are thinking of heading down there give a call first. Kozy's and Village are the Performance and Nashbar of Chicago. They have some cool stuff but not the coolest shops.
    Agree. The chain stores push all but the highest rent paying shops far from the Loop and Michigan Ave. It can be a challenge to get from the Michigan Ave. to the more unique shops if you are not familiar with the city though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    Agree. The chain stores push all but the highest rent paying shops far from the Loop and Michigan Ave. It can be a challenge to get from the Michigan Ave. to the more unique shops if you are not familiar with the city though.
    Johnny Sprockets is only about 20-25 minutes of CTA+walk time from the Loop. Manuel is legit and the rest of the staff is, too. While in the vicinity, you can scope out some of Lincoln Park, which is always kind of a fun thing to do as a tourist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Yojimbo's garage still up and running? I loved that place (But the last time I was there... Cabrini Green was still standing).

Also, I dug the W Hotel (did a photo shoot there a few years ago). IIRC it's on Adams a lil (6 blocks?) west of Michigan but that puts you closer to the "bean" not so close to Watertower Place.

PS. Tea at the Drake is pretty rad if you have some free time. Museum of Contemp Art is around the corner too.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRZ View Post
    Johnny Sprockets is only about 20-25 minutes of CTA+walk time from the Loop. Manuel is legit and the rest of the staff is, too. While in the vicinity, you can scope out some of Lincoln Park, which is always kind of a fun thing to do as a tourist.
    From the Mag Mile probably best to walk over to Clark and take the Broadway bus.

By Lincoln Park do you mean the actual park or neighborhood? Sprockets is in Lakeview (definitely worth a visit, tourist or no). The lake front might prove to be somewhat unpleasant for a visitor from Singapore in February.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Is Yojimbo's garage still up and running? I loved that place (But the last time I was there... Cabrini Green was still standing).

Also, I dug the W Hotel (did a photo shoot there a few years ago). IIRC it's on Adams a lil (6 blocks?) west of Michigan but that puts you closer to the "bean" not so close to Watertower Place.

PS. Tea at the Drake is pretty rad if you have some free time. Museum of Contemp Art is around the corner too.
    Yojimbo's place is still intact, but the last few times I went by there I did not see any activity.

The W is a cool hotel and has a bar popular with the young and fashionable (or at least had - been sometime since I've been either y or f). Definitely not mag mile.

The MCA is a very short walk from Sofitel.