User Tag List

Thread: Hadrians Wall Walk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hadrians Wall Walk

Mrs. Pom & I are planning to walk the full length from west->east in late-may / early june. We booked a string of air b&bs and expect to do it in 6 days. We travel light and may mix backpacking and portage services if available.

Has Anyone done this before and have any tips/advice/fun stories? Specifically: Weather? Terrrain? Gear? Training?

thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hadrians Wall Walk

I would try to make a little faster time in the beginning and end sections, and plan on spending an extra day near Vindolanda- Vercovicium and Sewingshields Crags. You can do an out-n-back walk from Vercovicium to Lady Hill which is still pretty desolate. (in the beginning you will spend a lot of time when you first start seeing the walls and then get jaded later... I 'd try to be jaded in the beginning and have more time with the real good stuff in the middle)

The weirdest part are the many ruins which are just in the middle of a farm.

Roman ruins are always just so cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I did it in July. Weather was mild with one stormy day. We went east to west and had an agent which arranged accommodations and moved our luggage. It’s not at all challenging if you only carry a day pack. There are some sites which aren’t right on the path, so allow some time and be open to arranging a car for side trips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. The trip is all booked. It’s nice to have something big to look forward to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like some of it is also perfect for some cycling:

h wall.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can’t wait to scope out that cycle route in person. I Might have to come back with my bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My partner did the walk a few years ago. She had a blast.

Make sure you are trained up enough to cover 13+ miles for 6 days in a row. It is a rather hard surface at the beginning and end and you will be quite footsore if you are not prepared. As VD said the middle is where all the interesting bits are, make sure you take your time there! The ruins and history are what the walk is really about.

The other thing to remember is that this is a big anniversary (1900 years) celebration and it will be packed especially in june when schools let out. Be prepared to share the trail with lots of folk... Lots of folks walk this trail east to west so you will pass the packs rather than being stuck in them...

Enjoy!
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pomole View Post
    Can’t wait to scope out that cycle route in person. I Might have to come back with my bike.
    The road ride is easy, and you are not allowed to ride the path which I thought would be great fun.
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31450191
    This is from 3 years ago.

If you want a real route for a bike ride. https://bikepacking.com/routes/gb-divide/

My buddy is doing this from May 11.