Thread: On Getting Too Damned Skinny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: On Getting Too Damned Skinny

The importance of strength to endurance | Endurance Corner

the reasoning by which he arrives at his conclusions may be questioned, but I think there may be something to Couzens advocation of mass over w/kg.

I'm up to 77kg these days, but still lean (body fat % sames as at 70kg in 2009). W/kg is the same, about 4.3 now, should be 4.5 at peak. But, total power is much higher, which should translate to better on the flat, and a bit better in explosive situations.

ditching the natural mass your body wants to carry is probably pretty stupid unless your Wiggins and you have a realistic shot at hitting the top 5 in a grand tour. So, outside of a few dozen pros, you'll probably perform better in your races if you carry the mass that nature wants you to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing. Makes alot of sense.

Synchs with my humble experience, too. In my quest to compete at the national level, I worked with Dr. Paul Arciero (Skidmore College, Exercise Physiology) from 2009-2011. Over a 3 year period, at the age of 57, I went from 20+% BF to finally passing under 7% bodyfat in March 2011. I thought I had hit the season's race weight a little early but was glad I did "it."

Well, the joke was on me. Yep, I was under 7%...for 2 weeks, that is. And, then, just like that, all that hard work was gone. My body (and my hunger triggers) unconsciously reacted and boom, within a month, I was back up to 10% where I competed for the rest of the 2011 season.

I probably missed how old you are but at any age, holding 6% in a heavily cardiovascular, high-caloric output event like Pro/Cat 1 cycling is next to impossible. Even bodybuilders can only hold 6% or lower for a few contests per year.

Of course, I forgot to mention that Dr. Arciero kept telling me that he thought 7 was way too low for me, my event and especially for my age. But, who was I to listen to expertise and experience?!

thanks,
    bill
    ride hard. be well. have fun.
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read this thread at least 10 times (well the original post) and its about time I thank you & say how much I appreciate it. After my junior career ended, I really let myself go. At one point, I was over 300 lbs. Today, I'm 172 (@ 6'5") but as a result of the severe up & down, I suffer from a serious case of dysmorphia (despite losing it slowly & very healthily over the course of years). I am hyper concerned with weight & appearance to what at times has been an unhealthy level and even showed signs of bulimia (where the 'purge' is excess exercise) as a 38-year-old male no less. Fortunately I have a very loving wife (who is also a physician) and a terrific therapist. I'm far from all together/figuring it all out,but I'm a ton better. Long story short, I loved the candor of this thread and related to your story very much. So thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123