User Tag List

Page 155 of 354 FirstFirst ... 145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,100 of 7061

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Also, something even as "new" as 3-4 years old is pretty dated now as the software/hardware and calibrations are advancing quite rapidly. It's also impossible to judge all of them by how one system works.
    It definitely seems as though we're in an era where the level and competency of the technology is increasing and accelerating. A car I buy today will be semi-outdated in three years.

My 2006 GTI seemed sort of high tech in its day because it had a 6-disc changer integrated into the dashboard and had a neat digital display. And available satellite radio (which I didn't opt for).

The increasing autonomy of the driving experience is both thrilling and somewhat off-putting. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. What is fresh today will seem laughable in five years.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 11-02-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This month's Car & Driver has a long section (edited by Malcolm Gladwell!) on autonomous cars. It's my first deep dive into the issue, and I'm finding all the articles very thought provoking.

rmplum is certainly correct that every system is different. Very different in some cases.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Untitled by Mr. P, on Flickr

Located the most basic Cayman S that I could find with

A. three pedals
    B. 2-way sport plus seats
    C. sport exhaust

for our fleet today. Arrives next week.

Hoping Michigan fall/winter weather holds off a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you imagined if they turned that thing into a car you could drive on roads?

Whoa man.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of cars, it's possible that the best replacement for a GTI is another GTI. Test drove a 2018 Honda Accord Sport with the 1.5 liter turbocharged engine and the manual transmission. While nice, it's no GTI. I'm afraid the Honda Accord Sport is out, though I'd give it another look with the 2.0 liter turbo.

The 2018 VW GTI will have all the tech stuff I'm currently lusting after - ACC, lane assist, touch screen with Apple Car Play, etc. Gonna test drive one when they show up at dealers. Then comes the question: Manual or dual clutch manumatic. 99% of the time I'm agnostic on the manual vs. auto thing but in heavy, slow stop-and-go traffic an auto beats the manual every time. And lately there's been more of that in my life.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The auto version is quicker, is all. VW makes a nice clutch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    The auto version is quicker, is all. VW makes a nice clutch.
    I know it's faster and I will certainly test one. The question is how engaging will it be to drive with the paddle shifters. I do like to have some control over gear selection even if I don't like it in heavy traffic and rarely drive like I'm Ayrton Senna overtaking Alain Prost. But I do like to have the ability to point and shoot when the time is right. That's the greatest thing about the GTI - it's a street legal go cart when you need it to be even though 99% it's just a practical hatchback.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computers are smarter and faster than humans when it comes to changing gears with the new manumatics so I would get that. F1 also proved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey RMplum - Let's go have some fun (evil grin).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I know it's faster and I will certainly test one. The question is how engaging will it be to drive with the paddle shifters. I do like to have some control over gear selection even if I don't like it in heavy traffic and rarely drive like I'm Ayrton Senna overtaking Alain Prost. But I do like to have the ability to point and shoot when the time is right. That's the greatest thing about the GTI - it's a street legal go cart when you need it to be even though 99% it's just a practical hatchback.
    I had a loaner a3 with the 2.0T and DSG (basically same drivetrain as a GTI with AWD). It shifted quickly and the paddles work fine. I hate autos and left it in manual mode otherwise it was always in the wrong gear. It has none of the engagement of a manual, think of it as an auto that shifts very fast not as a manual with an auto option. That said if you want an auto it is better than most.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Computers are smarter and faster than humans when it comes to changing gears with the new manumatics so I would get that. F1 also proved it.
    Yes, but you just added a 2nd clutch, computer and hydraulic gubbins, to replace the clutch pedal.
    The latest crime is electronic parking brakes, how can you drive in the snow with out a hand brake ?
    Hopefully they're banned in Finland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    Yes, but you just added a 2nd clutch, computer and hydraulic gubbins, to replace the clutch pedal.
    The latest crime is electronic parking brakes, how can you drive in the snow with out a hand brake ?
    Hopefully they're banned in Finland.
    Yes. I'm also curious about how you start on an incline with a manual with this electronic parking brake. Serious question. Does it have a hill assist to hold the vehicle when on a slope?

I've always considered starting on a steep slope with no backwards roll to demonstrate total mastery of the manual transmission. Even more so on a slippery surface. Having grown up on flat roads, I never really learned this. The former Mrs. Saab2000 taught me this skill in an Opel Corsa. Yeah, she was a manual transmission master.

Anyway, I'd likely go for the manumatic if I go for the 2018 GTI. But it's not certain. Old habits die hard even though there's no doubt that the new dual clutch automatic transmissions are faster.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would probably get the GTI in manual if it was me.

The S4 has arrived and this thing is something !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lionel Congrats on the new car.

SAAB - Coming off 20 yrs of driving 2 VW golf base model manuals into the ground and I just picked up a 2017 GTI base model for $20,100 - find a dealer they are dying to unload them, I even saw an autobahn listed at ~$26,500. I traded in my 2008 Golf with ~135k for $4,200 !!!

I am not convinced that the extra warranty for the 2018 will be worth the + $5,000-$6,000 that you will be paying for a 2018, plus the hassle of negotiating a car when the dealer has the upper hand.

I also can not fathom why you would buy a GTI and not get the manual. I am not a purist but really .....and I do not understand the " DSG shifts faster" comments from the car manufacturers -someone please tell me where in every day driving this matters?

FYI..my commute is 25 miles each way ~50 min, bumper to bumper for ~15-20 min, but I need the shifting to keep me entertained when driving if not I get bored. Plus I find myself pulling off the highway earlier to hit the back roads on the way home even if it adds 10 min.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    Lionel Congrats on the new car.

SAAB - Coming off 20 yrs of driving 2 VW golf base model manuals into the ground and I just picked up a 2017 GTI base model for $20,100 - find a dealer they are dying to unload them, I even saw an autobahn listed at ~$26,500. I traded in my 2008 Golf with ~135k for $4,200 !!!

I am not convinced that the extra warranty for the 2018 will be worth the + $5,000-$6,000 that you will be paying for a 2018, plus the hassle of negotiating a car when the dealer has the upper hand.

I also can not fathom why you would buy a GTI and not get the manual. I am not a purist but really .....and I do not understand the " DSG shifts faster" comments from the car manufacturers -someone please tell me where in every day driving this matters?

FYI..my commute is 25 miles each way ~50 min, bumper to bumper for ~15-20 min, but I need the shifting to keep me entertained when driving if not I get bored. Plus I find myself pulling off the highway earlier to hit the back roads on the way home even if it adds 10 min.
    Well, my commute is once per week to Chicago. It's about a 3 hour drive or 2:45 with no traffic. I've been driving manuals my whole driving life, which is now 34 years of manuals, so I get their plusses and minuses. To me, crawling at 5-10 MPH for 45 minutes with a manual really sucks. Not fast enough to let the clutch fully out but too fast to just coast.

I get the driving engagement of manuals but I'm kind of over them. We'll see.

The best one I ever had was a Mazda Miata. That's a car I wouldn't mind having again to get it out of my system every couple weeks. But for my commute I don't give a shit about anything except not getting killed by the heavy truck traffic through Indiana and getting to the airport without wanting to pull out my hair.

I have a single car garage and it's not huge so I don't have the option of having a fun car and a daily driver. Gotta be all in one.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 11-08-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Well, my commute is once per week to Chicago. It's about a 3 hour drive or 2:45 with no traffic. I've been driving manuals my whole driving life, which is now 34 years of manuals, so I get their plusses and minuses. To me, crawling at 5-10 MPH for 45 minutes with a manual really sucks. Not fast enough to let the clutch fully out but too fast to just coast.

I get the driving engagement of manuals but I'm kind of over them. We'll see.

The best one I ever had was a Mazda Miata. That's a car I wouldn't mind having again to get it out of my system every couple weeks. But for my commute I don't give a shit about anything except not getting killed by the heavy truck traffic through Indiana and getting to the airport without wanting to pull out my hair.

I have a single car garage and it's not huge so I don't have the option of having a fun car and a daily driver. Gotta be all in one.
    my manual purist friend (who loves his modified 80's corolla) has a DSG GTI if that says anything. just recently he mentioned how great it is for a daily car.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I would probably get the GTI in manual if it was me.

The S4 has arrived and this thing is something !
    Lionel, may be a dumb question, but is this car a wagon/hatchback?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    ”...Lionel, may be a dumb question, but is this car a wagon/hatchback?...”
    He purchased the truly awesome Audi S4 Avant wagon that is not currently available in the United States.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Lionel, may be a dumb question, but is this car a wagon/hatchback?
    Yes ! Avant. Almost drives like the 911 (just almost).