Thread: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Been carrying this guy most days lately. Mini Prodigy from Jamie Simeon. 3" blade, framelock
    I've often wondered, how does one sharpen a tanto blade and retain the "corner?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I've often wondered, how does one sharpen a tanto blade and retain the "corner?"
    Jinx. I've had the same thought. Matt, the Jamie Simeon is purty.

After something like 10 yrs. of hard use my Chris Reeve lost a frame screw and the trim part. Just got it back from the "spa" treatment so it is ready for another 10 yrs. of abuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two Victorinox items, one a pocket Swiss Army Knife and one a Swiss Tool, similar to a Leatherman tool, and love them to death. They get used all the time for odd jobs.

This is an interesting development.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/07/busin...ntl/index.html
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I have two Victorinox items, one a pocket Swiss Army Knife and one a Swiss Tool, similar to a Leatherman tool, and love them to death. They get used all the time for odd jobs.

This is an interesting development.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/07/busin...ntl/index.html
    Friends of ours - who are of Swiss ancestry and still have family living in Switzerland - went to Switzerland to visit their Uncle who produced (at one point in history) the steel used in Victorinox knives. So each of the kids got a Swiss Army knife from their Uncle as a present. Big hit with the kids, the Uncle was very charismatic, and so was his villa. Back in the states, the daughter takes her Swiss Army knife to school for show and tell. She tells about being Swiss, about her uncle and shows all the different tools on the knife, including the blade.

Within an hour she is not only expelled from school, she is black-listed, cannot return ever, her records now contain a report on her violent act and there is no appeal. Total complete 100% over-reaction but hey, rich school full of rich people with nothing better to do than be hysterical fascists.

So Switzerland is just protecting Swiss people all over the world from this sort of persecution by providing Swiss Army knives without blades so that when the time comes and the secret message (conveyed through the secret radio transmitter in the knife) is broadcast, the Swiss can rise up and take over the world with their toothpicks and tweezers.

The first part of this story is true.
    Last edited by j44ke; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:43 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Friends of ours - who are of Swiss ancestry and still have family living in Switzerland - went to Switzerland to visit their Uncle who produced (at one point in history) the steel used in Victorinox knives. So each of the kids got a Swiss Army knife from their Uncle as a present. Big hit with the kids, the Uncle was very charismatic, and so was his villa. Back in the states, the daughter takes her Swiss Army knife to school for show and tell. She tells about being Swiss, about her uncle and shows all the different tools on the knife, including the blade.

Within an hour she is not only expelled from school, she is black-listed, cannot return ever, her records now contain a report on her violent act and there is no appeal. Total complete 100% over-reaction but hey, rich school full of rich people with nothing better to do than be hysterical fascists.

So Switzerland is just protecting Swiss people all over the world from this sort of persecution by providing Swiss Army knives without blades so that when the time comes and the secret message (conveyed through the secret radio transmitter in the knife) is broadcast, the Swiss can rise up and take over the world with their toothpicks and tweezers.

"Zero tolerance" rules have zero room for nuance. And, there's a solid argument for why that's the case when it comes to 'weapons'.

I carry a pocket knife every day, pretty much anywhere and everywhere. But at work we do a lot of work on schools, and any time I'm at a school for survey work - or if I'm at my daughter's school for some event - I make damn sure my knife stays in the truck.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    "Zero tolerance" rules have zero room for nuance. And, there's a solid argument for why that's the case when it comes to 'weapons'.

I carry a pocket knife every day, pretty much anywhere and everywhere. But at work we do a lot of work on schools, and any time I'm at a school for survey work - or if I'm at my daughter's school for some event - I make damn sure my knife stays in the truck.
    You are a grown up, not a 10 year old girl.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Jinx. I've had the same thought. Matt, the Jamie Simeon is purty.

After something like 10 yrs. of hard use my Chris Reeve lost a frame screw and the trim part. Just got it back from the "spa" treatment so it is ready for another 10 yrs. of abuse.
    You just need to treat them as two separate blades. If you use a guided sharpening system or stones and try to get the entire blade in a single movement (or movements) you'll knock down that corner and turn the tanto into a semi-drop point. But if you're careful to sharpen each section independently, it will be fine for a while. Even when stropping a tanto I am careful not to do any sweeping movements that might put that transition point against the strop. That's the other key. I strop often and keep the edges well maintained so that I don't need to put it against a sharpening stone as often.

Pretty hardcore usage to lose screws on a CRK. Nicely done, Josh.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

WTF.

I can't make up which one was the said act of violence? Telling people about things that are made abroad maybe?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Jorn's friend's kid should have be expelled. But, her parents should have known better than to let her take a knife to school for show and tell. And I get why the zero tolerance weapon rules exist.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about bringing back the simple swiss army knife? I think that might be old enough now to be a potential gentleman's category pocket knife again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    How about bringing back the simple swiss army knife? I think that might be old enough now to be a potential gentleman's category pocket knife again!
    There are a couple companies making upgraded scales for some SAK models that really elevate the knives. I have one with nice burgundy micarta scales instead of factory plastic ones. And the ones done in titanium or brass are really nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh don't tempt me!!! I have all new photo gear to buy. haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Jorn's friend's kid should have be expelled. But, her parents should have known better than to let her take a knife to school for show and tell.
    While I understand they probably think they should have had that conversation before that event, I believe they simply didn't anticipate their daughter taking that decision. Also past a certain age, your over checking the bag of your kids. In fact in some countries, past a certain age checking your daughter's bag would be illegal as it is not respecting your child privacy rights.

And I get why the zero tolerance weapon rules exist.
    There are weapons and ... stuff like swiss army knifes. And there is also a thing about making threats and just showing off stuff in an harmful and non aggressive way. A kid doing such a mistake should just have a firm conversation with the school directors and the parents.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:03 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    Oh don't tempt me!!! I have all new photo gear to buy. haha
    Just going to leave this right here...

https://www.dailycustoms.shop/en/c/s...customs/scales

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Jorn's friend's kid should have be expelled. But, her parents should have known better than to let her take a knife to school for show and tell. And I get why the zero tolerance weapon rules exist.
    She took the knife to school on her own. Her parents didn't know. In the matrix of parent-child discussions, she knew she was not allowed to bring a knife to school just as she was not allowed to own a knife, but she was allowed to keep this gift from her uncle and ergo thought it was okay to share this gift with her classmates at school during show and tell. In 10 year old logic, gift renders the knife aspect moot.

BTW, did you know there are pocket knife rules in NYC that are enforced by NYPD? If you take your pocket knife out in public to remove crud from under your fingernail after working on your bike, a cop may ask to see your knife. If it meets whatever qualifications he can confiscate it.

Anyway, kudos to Victorinox for working on this to allow Swiss uncles to give presents to their American nieces and nephews that won't get them expelled. My favorite Swiss Army knife is this one:

Last edited by j44ke; 1 Week Ago at 04:30 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coooool. Never seen a Swiss Army Knife with a marlin spike. I could be wrong, that spike might be some clever Swiss "thing-a-mah-jig" for winding up clocks for all I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the sterling silver ones are nice also. Usually with blade, file and scissors.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books