Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738

Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

We safely arrived in Worland, Wyoming, on Saturday and were able to go directly to our property and hook up the trailer. I made sure nothing had made a home in the 100A box and turned it on at the pole. I flushed out the water line, ran the hose to the trailer, and dumped grey water to check the flow to the septic tank. All good. We looked at some houses in town since we're looking to relocate away from NW Arizona. I think we'll buy a manufactured home for our property since it already has septic, water, and power. We can do a construction loan to upgrade the waterline to 1.5" and run a gas line.

In other news, I had to run the furnace today because it was 40 and raining. We have a few nights in the mid-30s before it becomes spring next week with 80/50 days.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good re-cap Bill. LOL I remember July snow squalls in Rock Springs. It certainly is never boring there is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We have had off-and-on sleet since noon. I have the electric fireplace running to keep the place kind of warm. I have used the day to assemble more sources for my latest thesis which I'll start writing next month. The 4G around here is spectacular and I upped my Verizon account to 130 GB a month so I can hotspot and use my laptop. Finding primary sources from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries is challenging, so I am relying on journals and publications. Midwife diaries are very useful. If you see me in a bar, buy me some beers and I'll tell you all about the Proclamation of 1763 and how it was responsible for the Revolutionary War, but I'll only use examples from western Pennsylvania.

The upcoming weekend looks better for riding with upper 60s and the following week will have 80-degree days.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True fact: if you are in a trailer which is stuck by lightning the rubber tires are not going to save you.

This was my thinking when a ground strike happened just feet from my trailer window. The sound was loud enough to shutdown my hearing aides!!! The smell is what convinced me this really did just happen.

I'd rather this did not happen again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    True fact: if you are in a trailer which is stuck by lightning the rubber tires are not going to save you.

This was my thinking when a ground strike happened just feet from my trailer window. The sound was loud enough to shutdown my hearing aides!!! The smell is what convinced me this really did just happen.

I'd rather this did not happen again.
    We had a close strike two years ago in Wyoming. It split a limb off a tree about 200 feet away. Of course, we had the trailer under a huge cottonwood. When I did the power for our RV site, I drove an 8' grounding rod in the ground next to my 100A panel with a large gage copper conductor connecting to ground from said panel. It's pretty much there for lightning

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on the lightning strike. That rascal ran down the wire 200 yards and fried the Franklin Electronics protection for our well pump. Good news the electronics saved the pump, bad news is that costs large. I'm going to have a heart to heart with the power company about their barely adequate ground rod. This is the second time the well house got hit and fried the electronics in a three yr. span. Humph.

Trailer Camps are magnets for tornados and lightning. You heard it here.